Elvin Jones Very Ill

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

Elvin Jones Very Ill

Post by cgarges » Sat May 01, 2004 1:50 pm

Not to spread vicious internet runors or anything, but did anybody see this or know anything about it?

http://www.patmethenygroup.com/pmg/foru ... bNum=12573

Man, it bummed me out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Re: Elvin Jones Very Ill

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Sat May 01, 2004 2:02 pm

Yeah, I saw this a few days ago on RMMP. It's really sad to see our favs go. Higgins a few years back, Buddy, now Elvin isn't doing well. It's really a shame to think that the drummer in Bang Tango probably made more money than Elvin Jones. (No offense to the Bang Tango guys, that was just the first random 80s metal band that came to mind). Guys like Elvin and the others that shaped not only jazz, but music in the 50s-60s are a national treasure. It's a shame that the Smithsonian or some other heritage society can't step in with proper insurance coverage. Heck, forget that...why can't some very wealthy musicians step in and help out. Who knows...aging and mortality...we've all probably got relatives or know someone that does, that's gone through this. Grandparents or great-grandparents that didn't have proper medical insurance to take care of themselves. It's just a shame when it's someone that's touched so many of us like these guys.
Elvin's in my thoughts,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

mikesmodern
pluggin' in mics

Post by mikesmodern » Sat May 01, 2004 4:27 pm

Having dialogue about jazz, maybe the most soul quenching music in the world, on forums like this one, would help the problem a little bit.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat May 01, 2004 5:31 pm

It's very sad. You have to respect his wife for allowing him what he wants if he is indeed on his last legs rather than trying to prolong his life, she must really and truly adore him. I guess as well as being quite a drummer, he must be quite a man.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun May 02, 2004 6:41 pm

His wife has always been sort of supportive and "managerial." She has been setting up and tearing down his drums for years.

I got the very fortunate chance to meet him in Nashville about 7 or 8 years ago. He was an incredibly warm and friendly man, soft-spoken, with big, powerful hands. It was like shaking hands with a brick. He signed my copy of "A Love Supreme," saying over and over agian, "Man, this is a beautiful album... a beautiful, beautiful album." I was like, "Yeah, man, you don't have to tell me!"

I've known for some time that this would happen. Elvin was my first real bebop hero. It makes me sad. Really, really sad.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

goldenarmes
ass engineer

Post by goldenarmes » Sun May 02, 2004 8:25 pm

man, i am so bummed to hear this. elvin is my favorite musician of all time. i really dont have words to describe how the music he created radically altered my life. ive never seen him live. he was to play a gig here in san diego a few years back but had to cancel due to an injury or health problem...i was bummed, i talked a friend of mine into booking the show and she was so cool she did it anyways ....im so bummed
peace

j

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon May 03, 2004 12:50 am

I remember seeing the documentary about him ("Different Drummer"). He was very clear about the choices he's made and and the value of what he was doing.

I don't ever want him to go, but at least he knows his life has been meaningful -- how many people can say that?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Mon May 03, 2004 4:31 am

That's really sad. EJ is one of the true living legends. I got to see him on tour in the early 90s, and it was a religious awakening of sorts.

Not only has he played on some of the greatest records in jazz, he's gotta be the biggest influence on Mitch Mitchell.

Sad :(

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Mon May 03, 2004 8:59 am

yeah I also heard from one of his longtime friends..that Ray charles is really sick..jeez!!
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Mon May 03, 2004 9:12 am

I saw him speak at a Cal Arts graduation years ago, like in 1996 or something. His speech was: "My Mama always told me I talked too much, so I'll just play." Then he sat down and played like a 15-minute drum solo. It was awesome.