Help Getting a Ampex reel to reel rapaired, In Western MASS

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Help Getting a Ampex reel to reel rapaired, In Western MASS

Post by Gebo » Thu May 08, 2003 12:24 am

So I just got my first reel to reel in the mail, and ill be damned if those reel's aint spinnin'. The pre's (its one of those ampex's with the attached pre) are working (one seems quieter than the other), but I cant get the thing to budge. Im not sure if there is a way it was locked for shipping, but theres a light up near the reels and its not lit, maybe the top half is powered seperatly than the bottom (pres). Long question short, anyone know a place to get R2R's fixed in western mass? or possibly know whats up with it?

thanks, peace.

p.s.
maggie may by rod stewart has dope drum sound... just noticed.

p.p.s.
I swear to god I just heard "fitty cent" say "I love you like a fat kid love cake". Please, someone give this man more money.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

takeout
steve albini likes it

Re: Help Getting a Ampex reel to reel rapaired, In Western M

Post by takeout » Thu May 08, 2003 7:17 am

Step 1: Register with the Ampex user mailing list at www.recordist.com. Centuries of Ampex experience all in one place (some ex-Ampex employees post there too, including one of the guys who helped design my machine, the 440). They can help you troubleshoot.

Step 2: Get a complete manual if you don't have one already. Someone on the 'list will copy you one for a fee.

Step 3: Fix it yourself. Trust me. You gotta start learning this stuff now, being an Ampex owner, and these are some of the easiest machines to work on. It's like changing your own oil, or spark plugs. Ebay's got parts, and the guys on the 'list are always parting out dead machines.

Good luck.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Thu May 08, 2003 12:47 pm

Ok awesome, do the manuals generally have trouble shooting guides in them too? I have a soldering gun and all that, its time to step up to the plate...

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Thu May 08, 2003 1:11 pm

western ma up in this piece. where are you at in the w? we don't happen to be in a band do we? sorry- no help on the ampex. wmhc rules.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu May 08, 2003 1:13 pm

ampex list is a must for all ampex owners.

what model is the deck, I may have some parts.

dave

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Thu May 08, 2003 9:11 pm

Im in longmeadow, its right next to springfield. Im in a few bands, one called Red Reaction, one called The Prowl, and one called Tooth. Soundguy, I actually dont know the model number, I think im gonna take a pic of it so I can post it here and the recordist ampex forum. Once I figure that out I can get started on locating a manual and such, hopefully you got some parts... Anyone else from western mass on here? or northern CT?

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Fri May 09, 2003 4:44 am

Great Barrington here.

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Fri May 09, 2003 6:54 am

dude. i work at bay path college. i'm from northampton. w ma kicks ass. did you see mike watt the other day?

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Fri May 09, 2003 9:08 am

Nahh I didnt get to the mike watt show, I was in boston that night. But im going to the microphones show may 28th, It should be rad...

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Fri May 09, 2003 11:27 am

apparently this is the 'westen mass represent thread'.

amherst in the house.

kev - cool you got a reel-to-reel. i hear from ben that you guys are recording the next r.r. album yourselves? sounds cool, i mentioned this to him, but if you want any help (with anything: setting up, borrowing, just a 2nd set of ears) let me know. word.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Sat May 10, 2003 12:02 am

Will, I would love some help! I dont know how much stuff I need to barrow (maybe a pre or 2), but some more ears would be so much help! I'll let you know when we get rollin. The r2r is a 2 track, maybe for some drum tracking and mix down, im not sure yet. For now im using the pre's off it, which sound rad. keep in touch!
peace

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Sat May 10, 2003 5:47 am

2 track seems a little crazy to be tracking with (i'm just trying to wrap my head around it), but sounds fun. ben told me you guys were trying to buy an 8 track.... sounds cool that youre using the pres on it though, but yeh, definately keep me in mind... i unfortunately might need a ride, but i would be interested to see what you got going on, and definately down to help in whatever way.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Sat May 10, 2003 9:41 am

Yea, me and ben were looking to buy a tascam 388. Those machines are awesome. We were supposed to go look at one that some guy was selling for 600, with manuals and shit, but i guess the dude never called ben back. For drums on the 2track, I was thinking of useing my mixer and doing a stereo drum mix on there and running that into the machine. Than tossing that down into the computer and doing everything else on there. Once we're done writing for the record we're gonna bring all the equipment from my house over to the house the rest of the band lives at, and setup in the attic. Should be good times. Nate (drummer) also has a tape 8 track (cassette), maybe we'll use that too, who knows... peace

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Sun May 11, 2003 7:57 am

in my experience (granted i havent tried this in a while), getting a two track drums mix that you'll be happy with in the mix is a hard thing to do, especially judging the volume of the kick. sounds cool though, like it'll be a fun time. keep me updated n shit.

Allcalm
pluggin' in mics

Post by Allcalm » Sun May 11, 2003 8:48 am

Fu*k- Me Western Mass? Who would have thought the audio hotbead we live in? I live in Florence and work in Amherst at Hampshire College running their studio. I was at Mike Watt. WTF.

As for the reel to reel problem. I know the number of a really good tech. He is the house tech for Bear Tracks in Upstate NYC, if you pay his travel time he'll come out and fix you up right. When i got my deck I got him to come out and give it a once over, Really nice, really good fellow and not afraid to show you how to do it so if you aren't feeling to confident with an iron he'll help you along.
-Z
Last edited by Allcalm on Sun May 11, 2003 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.