Singer had this forward thinking idea

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
substitute
pushin' record

Singer had this forward thinking idea

Post by substitute » Fri May 07, 2004 1:43 pm

I was talking to a singer the other day and she had this interesting idea. If her guitar player was willing to spend $1200 on his guitar and $1000 on his amp, and throw em in a van and lug em all over the place, how come she would just sing through whatever mic into whatever pre a club happens to have?
I thought there was a logic to this but I really don't know anything about live sound. So the question is, does it make sense for vocalists to bring their own mics and preamps to a gig? I think she's willing to spend some dough, what would yall recomend?

=|:^=

housepig
buyin' gear

Re: Singer had this forward thinking idea

Post by housepig » Fri May 07, 2004 1:54 pm

that's a great idea.

it also avoids the problem of having your lips up next to a mic that the previous smelly, tuberculosis-laden singer just spent 45 minutes gobbing into...
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Fri May 07, 2004 2:07 pm

This makes all kinds of sense. She must be stopped.

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Fri May 07, 2004 2:13 pm

yes!

i completely agree with her. most singers are SO freakin lazy and cheap - house PA and house mic? they just say... eh.... good enough.

singers should do their own effects too - or have a sound effects tech - not just throw a basic verb on there.

i'm the other extreme. i bring a whole rig with me to every show in an SKB case.

i sing with 2 mics - an RE-20 and the egg mic - sometimes switching off and sometimes both at the same time. the RE-20 has this really huge, clear, full range sound, a focused dynamic range (the volume difference between whispers and screams is relatively small), and it sounds gorgeous with a touch of effects. and the egg mic is this nasty, lofi, am radio sound, with some distortion, too much presence, and zero low end.

then the rack is a dual mono DBX compressor - one channel for each mic. a sonic maximizer. a VoTech pedal with all my verb, delays, chorus, etc.

my band gets more comments about the sound of the vocals and the effects than anything else. people are blown away that a local band has vocal effects that are dynamic (i any at all, a good sound man might throw on a basic verb or slapback on there for the whole show and it never changes - i'm practically tap dancing up there with all the changes i'm making). and the compressor helps so you can actually hear me no matter how soft i sing - and i'm never deafening.

so long story short - encouage that singer to go all out and eventually get a whole rig. i suggest adding one thing at a time tho - it gets overwhelming to introduce all that at once.

chikkenguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by chikkenguy » Fri May 07, 2004 2:21 pm

i wonder if the soundguys at a bunch of places might just get annoyed at having to do more work setting up or whatever...

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 07, 2004 2:27 pm

For those who bring their own pres and compressors, do you bring them on stage with you?
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Fri May 07, 2004 2:32 pm

chikkenguy wrote:i wonder if the soundguys at a bunch of places might just get annoyed at having to do more work setting up or whatever...
its extra work for the singer, not the soundman. you just make sure that no matter what the hell you're doing with gear - the end result is 1 or 2 XLR cables. then they just plug that in to whereever you normally plug in the mics.
Last edited by djslayerissick on Fri May 07, 2004 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Fri May 07, 2004 2:34 pm

marqueemoon wrote:For those who bring their own pres and compressors, do you bring them on stage with you?
yes, i bring my own compressors.

i have yet to start carrying around my own pre, but i'm thinking about it. i didnt really understand the beauty of mic pres until recently.

rimbaud234
gettin' sounds

Post by rimbaud234 » Fri May 07, 2004 3:16 pm

At the least she should bring her own microphone. A Shure SM58 Beta is a great vocal mic and only costs $150.

Plus the hygiene issue.... eeeugggh. When I played at the Viper Room the sound guys actually wiped down the vocal mics with alcohol between sets. Man, I'd never seen that before.

B.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri May 07, 2004 3:31 pm

I've seen too many jackass metal singers stick the mic down their pants for me to use a house mic.

As a soundman, I'd prefer if they handled their own effects from the stage. I usually am not familiar with the songs and the singer knows what effects sound best in which parts.

but, if you're going to do this, making sure that you've got xlr's to plug into for the soundman is NOT your only concern. Make certain that your rig and effects chains don't produce ridiculous volume differences from patch to patch.

After that, I say, "bravo!"

great idea!

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Fri May 07, 2004 3:34 pm

This is a great idea! But running your preamps into the console preamps? Hmm... I think most lazy soundengineers at smaller clubs would be kinda annoyed or just not give a shit as long as you can give them two XLRs not too hot or two 1/4" and they'd DI them no matter what it is. But preamp into preamp? This intrigues me. Can you say distortion? loading effects?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri May 07, 2004 5:15 pm

Family Hoof wrote:...as long as you can give them two XLRs not too hot or two 1/4" and they'd DI them no matter what it is. But preamp into preamp? This intrigues me. Can you say distortion? loading effects?
If the system can take DI's from keyboards and bass amps, shouldn't be any problem with a moderate line level from a mic pre.

Leigh

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Fri May 07, 2004 5:34 pm

leigh wrote:If the system can take DI's from keyboards and bass amps, shouldn't be any problem with a moderate line level from a mic pre.
That's true. What was I thinking?

SecondSon
pushin' record

Post by SecondSon » Fri May 07, 2004 6:29 pm

Yes, but if you are using vocals on stage, aren't you supposed to be sending the soundguy a dry line also, for the monitor mixes.

I am a singer and have my own beta58 that I use, but would like to use my vocal processor on stage, but there really isn't a way for me to send the sound guy a dry vocal. So my effects come back through the monitors, producing tons of feedback.

Besides a feedback destroyer, is there a way to somehow split the signal??? Or would that be a no??

This is something I have been thinking about for a long time.
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Fri May 07, 2004 7:50 pm

A Shure SM58 Beta is a great vocal mic and only costs $150.
Not to start a war, but I'll disagree. There are a number of mics for the same money or less which will shame a Beta 58. I have a Beta 58 and it stays in its bag...

But, as to the subject of the thread, YES! A serious singer should pay some attention to his/her gear just as does any other musician.