So anyways...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

So anyways...

Post by CDB Studios » Thu May 08, 2003 6:30 am

So anyways,

I have been off and on at this other recording studio in the area and helping out. I done some engineering, intern stuff, helped them out with protools (teaching them how to use it). I also have my own little basement studio for hire (cdbstudios.com).

I had thought that the guys at the other studio were cool with me their and grateful for me being there and helping out...I know I was extremly grateful for having them let me be there.

Now that they know I am open for businees, the don't know how they FEEL about my "commercial endevor".

1st of all, I am not a huge compitition for them. They are setup as a "professional" recording studio (neve, otari, protools TDM, alesis HD24, softsplice, nuemann, akg, blah blah blah)

2nd of all, they have clients almost on average 4-5 days out of seven. I on ther other hand, have a client once every month to month in a half.

What do you guys feel about a situation about that???

-Zach

cbcmusic
alignin' 24-trk

Re: So anyways...

Post by cbcmusic » Thu May 08, 2003 7:45 am

Do you still work at that studio, they may feel you are gonna snatch their clients as they're walking in the door coming to see them. They probably don't want to start losing clients to you directly, especially in their place of business, offering lower prices and all that to record at your place.

Then again, if they are good at what they do and have a good name for themselves, they shouldn't be to threatened by a home studio.

I don't know your whole situation, but I am careful not to step on any toes, burn any bridges or steal someones work (as in clients). You should probably sit down and talk to those guys about your work and what you do, communication is a great thing. As long as you talk to them about your plans and be open and honest with them, everything should be cool. Who knows, you may actually bring work to them (you may want to do overdubs at a 'real studio' with some 'good gear' for the project you're working on and maybe they can give you a decent rate).

I guess I can go on and on, but :zzz:
cbc

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu May 08, 2003 8:09 am

Not much you can do about that other than try your hardest to continue to be nice to the folks at the bigger studio. If ya got one person at the bigger establishment that yer on good terms with, invite 'em over and show 'em what yer doing and explain yer goals. Competition is rough in this business, no one wants to lose clients to the guy down the street. It sounds like your place is on quite a different level than the bigger house, and maybe showing them that you pose little threat (at least now) will help ease their minds a little. This can work in your favor if played right. You will likely get inquiries that you can't handle (because of gear needs or size of room or whatever), just like the bigger place will likely get inquires that won't go anywhere because their rates are too high for the prospective client or they're heavily booked or whatever. Friendly relationships generally result in referrals; as in "sorry I can't help you with that, but here's the name and number of someone who can. I'll tell 'em you're gonna call..." Played correctly, this turns into a two way street. Mind you, this approach is more effective in areas where there are lots of studios to choose from (like Chicago, where our place is), but I see Kenosha as your location, and that makes me think "Milwaukee area" which isn't a 1 studio town. Remember, people in the music scene talk to each other regularly (witness this board among others) and you really want the public talk about you and your studio to be positive. Sometimes that means helping folks in a one-sided way as you continue to establish your business. Keep helping the bigger house with ProTools issues, or seconding on a bigger session for free, or send them a client you can't help. Such moves may not make bad feelings go away completely, but they can mark you as a person who is dedicated, trustworthy, and helpful no matter what; all qualities that can take a person far in this bidness. Best of luck...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Thu May 08, 2003 10:10 am

Thanks you for the responces.

I have no intention of "stealing" clients away, that notion had never entered my mind, AT ALL.

I enjoy going over to the other studio. I have always made time to go over help them in anyway I can (be it seting up a session, being a 2nd, a tapeop, etc...) That the kind of person I am.

I have always thought, like mentioned above, that sending businees to someone else if you can't, is how professionals in business do business.

I have also be able to, when it comes up, to do the session at their place it my studio couldn't.

I have no ill feeling towards them, and I guess I have to have a "meeting" with them to ease their "worries".

Thanks again,

-Zach :jazzman:
admin@cdbstudios.com
www.cdbstudios.com

cbcmusic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cbcmusic » Thu May 08, 2003 10:27 am

Hey Zach,

Although you mention you had no intentions of stealing their clients, they may be thinking that is/was your intention.

Yeah, set up a meeting and fill them in, I'm sure they would appreciate it.
cbc

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu May 08, 2003 12:41 pm

Man, I was involved in a situation like this. I worked at this studio and Dan lanios was renting a studio in the building. People would constantly rent stuff from dan's collection. One day, I was assisting a session and the artist wanted a minimoog, which wasnt available anywhere in the building, including their normal avenues of rental. I had one, rented it to them, and it seemed like a win win situation. The next day the owner came in and chewed me out and gave me this bullshit thing about going over his head and all this bullshit. He wasnt taking a percentage of any other rental, but he assumed since I was his employee, he had some right to a fee. I quit on the spot, stupid fuck head that guy was.

I see your situation as very similar, dudes feeling threatened by an employee. If you have your meeting, if you have been working for free, please remind these people that you are working for free and show them how much money they saved by not hiring a protools consultant to teach them how to use the software... Competition is a fact of life, if you cant deal with it, you shouldnt be in business. I mean, if these guys have a neve, you almost have to laugh at them if they feel threatened by someone's basement studio. Are there some clients that they migth potentially lose? Possibly, but while you have to pay the rent, do you really want some bonehead in your real nice studio if all they wanted was a computer and an M box to track with? Im a big fan of everything having its place in this world, for sure.

Dont sweat it man, there are probably other studios to work at anyway.

dave

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Thu May 08, 2003 3:59 pm

The last thing a "nice" studio with expensive gear and expensive hourly rates needs is a guy with access to a basement studio with decent gear and a low hourly rate. Whether intended or not, your own studio can probably give a client 75% or more of what the "nice" studio can give them sound-wise for probably 1/2 the price, that's why they consider you competition.
Stop helping them. Work on getting business for your own place. If you do work for the "nice" studio, get a fair rate, don't work for free, don't give away your knowledge or skills unless it's to your advantage. People never really respect you if you don't charge them for your time, whether its a business or clients; they get very used to paying nothing for talent or proficiency and keeping their money in their pockets. Get experience by getting people into YOUR studio and use YOUR skills. Don't sell yourself short... or at least try not to.

sonicgirl
gettin' sounds

Post by sonicgirl » Thu May 08, 2003 6:57 pm

I have been off and on at this other recording studio in the area and helping out. I done some engineering, intern stuff, helped them out with protools (teaching them how to use it). I also have my own little basement studio for hire (cdbstudios.com).
I know the studio you speak of... and one of their previous inters turned engineers got a pro tools rig and started doing some recording on his own at various locations... he did happen to take a couple of the high paying clients with him. So that is most likely why they are kind of wierd on ya.

The guys there are nice so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
They had a bad experience in the past.

that is all I will say about the studio. :wink:

if you want to know more pm me! lol

Rec Head
studio intern

Post by Rec Head » Thu May 08, 2003 9:48 pm

You are going about this all wrong. You need to get these guys on the board so we can tell them what's up. Once they see we're all on your side they will have to cool out. That's just how cool we are.

sonicgirl
gettin' sounds

Post by sonicgirl » Fri May 09, 2003 6:19 am

This board has been mentioned to them many times...
They just aren't interested... I don't think they are big "internet" type people.

I'll mention it to them again and see if they take a peak!
ha ha