Pro Tools Vs Nuendo?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
record
gettin' sounds

Re: Pro Tools Vs Nuendo?

Post by record » Wed May 12, 2004 7:37 pm

Nuendo does have video capabilities. I've scored to video on it - there are three different formats it'll take, I use quicktime. I understand Nuendo sounds great partially because it can record 32 bit floating point files. Supposedly the inherent architecture gives it tons more headroom than PT.

I set up a whole Nuendo rig with dual screens and a 2.4 GHZ pc, with 16 i/o and a UAD card for just over 6k. I think it would have cost about 20-25k for the same capabilty in PT.

'nuff said.

matt
pluggin' in mics

Post by matt » Wed May 12, 2004 7:51 pm

I think the main question you need to ask your self is how much you need to be abel to interface with other studios.
That's a good point. I was kind of envisioning myself as the lone engineer, working in my own little bubble, but I definitely see the value of being able to interface with other studios.
From reading through this thread it seems like some people think that it's a pain to transfer stuff from Pro Tools to Nuendo, while others don't.

Hmmm...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed May 12, 2004 11:20 pm

If you're not working in video post, I don't know why you'd want Nuendo. Cubase SX has the same exact audio engine and 99.99% of the audio functionality at half the price.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu May 13, 2004 8:22 am

Pro Tools is great cause EVERYONE is using it.
I actually prefer Nuendo when I'm doing virtual instrument programing and drum programming (sequencing) with audio.

But if your doing just audio, pro tools is a great system.

I have a tough time going back and forth.

Nuendo with a good audio interface is a great option.

IronMaidenX
gettin' sounds

Post by IronMaidenX » Sat May 15, 2004 10:32 pm

Nuendo has always been Steinberg's attempt to compete with Pro Tools...but it's never really caught on like they had hoped as far as I know & it's been like 3 or 4 years already since it came out. - Nothing beats a good Mac G4 or G5 and Pro Tools, especially if you want to interact with pro studios. :?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun May 16, 2004 6:21 am

IronMaidenX wrote:Nuendo has always been Steinberg's attempt to compete with Pro Tools...but it's never really caught on like they had hoped as far as I know & it's been like 3 or 4 years already since it came out. -
actually, it's caught on quite well!!
Nothing beats a good Mac G4 or G5 and Pro Tools, especially if you want to interact with pro studios. :?
what if you want to interact with a pro studio running Nuendo?

IronMaidenX
gettin' sounds

Post by IronMaidenX » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:54 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
IronMaidenX wrote:Nuendo has always been Steinberg's attempt to compete with Pro Tools...but it's never really caught on like they had hoped as far as I know & it's been like 3 or 4 years already since it came out. -
actually, it's caught on quite well!!
Nothing beats a good Mac G4 or G5 and Pro Tools, especially if you want to interact with pro studios. :?
what if you want to interact with a pro studio running Nuendo?
ok...I was thinking of pro studios in Los Angeles...I have never seen anything but Pro Tools in any of the major studios in LA that I can recall, sometimes I've seen Logic, but not often....unless someone brings in something else for a specific project...the standard is still Pro Tools.