Alesis Rocks!!!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Alesis Rocks!!!

Post by honkyjonk » Thu May 13, 2004 4:53 pm

Well,

The CDRW drive went poo poo on my Masterlink, and I had to make a number of calls to Alesis in order to upgrade a certain eprom chip, get the new Operating System, and figure out compatibility issues according to which CD burner is supported by the masterlink.

Anyway, the people I happened to talk to were pretty knowledgable, there wasn't any fucking runaround or prerecorded "if you need to talk to Butthead press 2, if you want to congradulate us on our product line press 3" B.S.

I bought my masterlink secondhand, and it's not registered under my name if it is at all, so I thought I was in for some dodgy answers, but they had no problem sending me a free service manual (that thing is like 2 inches thick!!!") free OS upgrade CD, and the eprom chip costs like ten bucks.

Damn!!! It could have been better I guess. I guess they could have just sent me a new CDRW for free too, but hey, compared to the bullshit that big companies pull day in and day out with people who have purchased their products, Alesis' customer support surprised me. Just gotta say Hats OFF!!!

I love not only being able to talk to a person, but actually the possibility that that person might actually know something about the products their company distributes.

neemer
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Alesis Rocks!!!

Post by neemer » Thu May 13, 2004 5:11 pm

Good deal. I'm looking into getting a Masterlink myself. Pretty happy with yours, I suppose?

littlebrothersclothes
pushin' record

Post by littlebrothersclothes » Thu May 13, 2004 5:29 pm

What's even more impressive is that this is after they had to go through bankruptcy/reorganization a couple of years ago. NOW, I wonder if they would send me a free service manual for my Andromeda ...

Doug

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Thu May 13, 2004 6:02 pm

ahh, reading this thread makes me feel good. i was planning on buying an alesis ion very soon. like maybe ordering it tonight. pro sound and stage lighting is selling them for cheap. i've messed around with them a bit and think they sound great, but the name ALESIS kind of makes me wary.

i think i'm really going to do it. this time i mean it. here i go...

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Thu May 13, 2004 9:08 pm

Yeah, before I got my Masterlink I wanted to figure out what hard drive it had, and I called them up and talked to someone immediately, who very kindly told me when they started shipping with 40 gig drives, etc. It was cool to just get some info rather than being chained to the phone for half an hour.

whiskeyblood
audio school graduate

Post by whiskeyblood » Thu May 13, 2004 9:33 pm

I just knew this was going to be some kind of a joke. I can't ever remember hearing or seeing "Alesis Rocks". I am glad to hear that things at Alesis are as they should be. I am very intersted in getting a Masterlink but of course have been wary about dealing with Alesis. They always seemed like such a corny, cheapo company but I have heard sooo many great things about the Masterlink that I may just have to break down and buy one. Can you get it without the name "Alesis" printed on the front of it? Just kidding!
PHANTOM POWDER

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Thu May 13, 2004 10:04 pm

You would be suprised on how many companys offer great suport on there gear. I used to work as a tech at a pro audio serivice center, and they were always very helpfull. even now that im freelance, still great service.....sometime you will get the guy who designed the thing. except for korg. everyone there seems to be retarded. they will just tell you to replace the mainboard.

mr16track
audio school

Post by mr16track » Thu May 13, 2004 11:05 pm

I too, have had great help from Alesis. I bought a QS 8.2 and 6.2 to gig with. The mod wheel on one does not feel as good as the other. I called and they told me they would send me a new one and Let me install it so I would not have down time!
I also found out they had a promotion that started 1 week after my purchase and they hooked me up, no questions asked.
I would not hesitate to buy any Alesis product.

They do rock!
Keep rockin the world for Jesus,
Clint

Mark Carr
audio school graduate

Post by Mark Carr » Fri May 14, 2004 6:12 am

My cdrw shot craps when they were going thru reorganization. 4-5 months and $350 later I finally got it back. That was a nightmare. On the other hand, I do love the thing.

drummerdan
gettin' sounds

Post by drummerdan » Sun May 16, 2004 5:01 pm

Their e-mail support is awesome! They gave me this sweet function for an adat that isnt in the manual! I asked them somthing about my studio 32 and rather than just telling me how, the guy wrote a nice long e-mail about different/more efficient ways to do what I needed. And never a single e-mail saying "we no longer support this mixer..."

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Sun May 16, 2004 5:22 pm

I too have had no problems getting info from them. They're always great when I contact them.

I bought my Masterlink back in 2000 (that was when they had the 4 gig drives). I've recently upgraded it to a 40 gig, with their help. When I emailed them, I was fully expecting to have to ship the unit somewhere for the upgrade. But, much to my surprise and delight, they sent me exact instructions on how to do it myself. Probably saved me about $100.

I wrote the guy back and told him how much I appreciated the support.