Best 2 Channels of Pre w/Comp for $2000 or less (??)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
MFletcher
audio school

Best 2 Channels of Pre w/Comp for $2000 or less (??)

Post by MFletcher » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:02 am

It's true. This question could elicit great debate from so many fine pairs of ears out there (in here?), but I am hoping for a range of advice from this experienced group.

My basic goal is to create a fine 2 channel front end for what is otherwise an 80% digital setup. Much of the material that will pass through these channels will be strings/vocals/a variety of stringed instruments/basic percussion. General purpose, natural sounding...

Sadly, the unit(s) that I eventually select will need to pass through a MOTU 2408mkII via an O2R96 unless I settle on a unit with digital outs. Mics range from U87s to 414s to KM184s to the usual suspects: SM57, etc..

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Matt

:shock:

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Re: Best 2 Channels of Pre w/Comp for $2000 or less (??)

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:15 am

Well,
There's the Drawmer 1969 that might be around that price, certainly that or less used. I can't remember what they go for new. I've used the 1960, wich is supposed to be nothing like it, so I'm talking out of my ass here.
Something to think about: I got a Joemeek SC2, which is absolutely amazing, for $600. It's not one of their low-end models, it's the original Ted Fletcher designed unit. And, with the Meek company in the state of whatever it is, changing hands or something, it might be a good time to score a couple of these units. I might be talking out of my ass here though too.
Also, a less colorful pre of course, the RNP keeps getting rave reviews.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:45 am

you may want to consider 2 separate 1 channel pre's instead of a single 2 channel. it will give you options for different 'flavors'. i have 2 channels of tim ryans's N72's (neve 1272 clones) and LOVE them. and it's only $999 for 2 fully assembled channels. leaves you another $1000 for a different sounding pre.

ayan

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:59 am

Consider Metric Halo ULN-2. Great clean accurate preamps, with great AD&DA converters. Outputs AES or spidf digital, or XLR or 1/4" analog. Connects to your computer with Firewire (Mac only). Separate headphone output (with volume control) to monitor live signal without latency. Insert points before digital conversion for your compressors (which you'd have to decide on separately). I use this with an RNC as my front end and it's great. I record a lot of strings too. Oh, and it's portable, bus and battery powerable, which doesn't matter much to me, but it'd be helpful for location stuff. $1000. www.mhlabs.com

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:28 am

matt-

are you looking for preamps or compession or both? most compressors out there are line level devices. If you wanted both, you'd need a pair of preamps and a pair of compressors.

lots and lots and lots of options...

dave

MFletcher
audio school

Post by MFletcher » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:28 pm

Thanks so much for the great replies thus far.

To answer Dave's question, I suppose I am hoping for either two independent preamp channels with built-in compression (like the Summit MPC-100A that I used for several years http://www.summitaudio.com/main.htm ), or a single unit with two preamps and compression. I have a number of unmatched outboard compressors/limiters that I would presumably side-chain, but the option of having built-in dynamics is added flexibility that I would enjoy. (It would also allow me to have two identical channels for stereo applications).

Perhaps a more direct question is in order:

You have $1500-$2000 in your pocket. Keeping flexibility (ie. dynamics) in mind, how would you spend that money on a two channel front end? I'm curious where this ever-growing group would focus. 100% on quality preamps? An all in one solution like the Metric Halo? Preamp & compression together like the Drawmers? New, vintage, recently resusitated vintage clone-type hybrid box thing?

This question is so wide open it will make some people very angry. "That's like asking me to choose my favorite record of all time, and I'm just not going to do it!" I'm really just looking for people to throw their cards on the table. :twisted:

I have a friend who would say, "Just pick up two used ART Tube Pac's for $200 bucks and be done with it!" And that's a fair answer...

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:37 pm

If you only NEED two pres and two comps, I would look into getting two separate dual-mono units, that way you can run stereo signals through them (like overheads). $1000 for a dual mono pre can fetch some nice stuff and the same goes for dual mono compressors. If you don't need the stereo capability then 2 completely different pres are the way to go, but there's something to be said for a good stereo compressor.

The reason I (and Dave and many others) recommend separate units is because it not only gives you more flexibility (especially for mixdown), but it give you more choices in your range. Plus I'm generally alergic to "all-in-one" units.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:46 pm

For this money (a bit more, I guess), I would get the Aurora (nee Phoenix) Audio GTQ2 and an RNC. But I've been jonesing for the GTQ2 for awhile, so I may not be thinking straight.

I would think the two channels of high-quality EQ at mixdown would be more of a bonus than a built in comp, and the RNC will match anything 'til you have a lot more money.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:05 pm

Matt-

Ive never used a compressor with a built in mic pre. Cant really help you there. If you are looking for real flexability and dont mind the api sound, you might consider going the modular api route. You are not going to get all that you want for $2k down that avenue, but it is a good place to start and serves as a good investment as well. If you were to get a third party rack (which is way cheaper than the api lunchboxes or racks) you can get two 512 or 312 or those OSA pre's (which seem to get good reviews but have personally never heard) and then you can add api EQ's (which absolutely rule when you want that sound) and api compressors. Its one thought so far as flexability goes, but you'll wind up spending outside of your budget.

Have you heard the UA 2108? Its a 2 channel preamp that sounds pretty excellent, however, no dynamics but well within your budget.

I think the smartest thing to do would be to compile the short list of mic level/ compressor units and see if anything is on there to float your fancy. If not, then make a decision about what is more important, a great set of preamps, or a great stereo compressor. From what would be my reccomendations, its gonna be one or the other, but by no means am I suggesting that you cant get two good pres and two good compressors for your budget. If you got into something like an RNP, you'd still have $1500 left for a decent stereo compressor, and you've got some options left there for sure. which brings you to, what kind of compressor do you want? You can get a vca compressor like a dbx 162 for well within that budget, a pair of urei LA4 optical compressors, maybe an 1178 if you look hard enough, again, lots of options.

someone suggested earlier seventh circle N72's which are nothing short of amazing, and can be put in a modular package if you ever decide you want more. You'd still have some dough left for a good utility compressor if you went down that road too.

recently there has been talk about davisound on the board, I was looking at their site and I believe there is a 2 channel compressor that has a mic pre option on it as well. I havent ever heard it or used any of their products, but it seems like the people that have surely love them, might be something else to consider.

dave

elloweez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by elloweez » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:24 pm

About a 1/2 a year ago I was looking for 2 good preamp and comp channels to run into my TSR 8. I was in your same budget situation and opted to go the UA 2108 and RNC compressor route. Daves right about the 2108, it really does sound good and I have no complaints on the RNC's. I'd suggest listening to them both. Anyways good luck on whatever you choose. Elloweez.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:36 pm

If you're asking what I would do (which is what I did do), I'd go for a DaviSound TB-3. It's the most used outboard piece in my studio.

Anyway, it's another of the MANY out there to choose from.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:11 am

The Langevin 'Dual Vocal Combo' [DVC] is a very musical sounding unit in the <$2k range...

I see you're in Marblehead, which is about an hour north of the shop... if you wanna borrow one for a while... lemme know.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:03 am

Yep, Fletcher beat me to it but when I went throught this same issue recently I finally decided on the DVC.

I couldn't be happier--this box rocks the house. I use it in a Logic based system for both tracking a wide variety of sources and as a stereo buss compressor.

HIGHLY recommended.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:10 am

I tried out the DVC at NAMM. Fed a guitar through it and my god what a killer tone. When I get the $$ I'm gonna get it.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:21 pm

Recording Engineer wrote:If you're asking what I would do (which is what I did do), I'd go for a DaviSound TB-3. It's the most used outboard piece in my studio.

Anyway, it's another of the MANY out there to choose from.
Ooo! Finally a Davisound user on Tapeop! Can you tell us all about it?

Best,
--JES