Marshall MXLV67G - any good?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Marshall MXLV67G - any good?

Post by signorMars » Tue May 18, 2004 8:50 pm

so i missed the bus on the mxl 2001 for 29 bucks... but now i have a strong jonesing for a new microphone and i was looking at all the various mxls, and the mxlv67g was just so damn pretty that i wanted to know if anyone has used it and if it sounds at all decent.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Marshall MXLV67G - any good?

Post by cgarges » Tue May 18, 2004 9:45 pm

It's got its uses. I think it's a pretty bright mic and some people like that. It's got this strange thing going on where, even though it's bright, there's no sort of sibilance accentuation, which can be cool for certain vocalists. It's also got a pretty wide pickup pattern and good distance sensitivity. As a result, I like miking vocals from a distance with it. And this is gonna sound totally stupid, but for me, it ROCKS as a tambourine mic.

I also really like it on soprano sax and on some darker clarinets. In a pinch, it'll do just fine on bari sax, as well. And it can be cool as a room mic for a guitar amp.

I've tried it on acoustic guitar and it wasn't for me. It sounded outright terrible on upright bass. I wasn't crazy about it as a mono drum overhead, although I might have dug it had I had a pair and been going for a sort of bright stereo overhead thing.

It definitely wouldn't be MY first choice as an all-around go-to mic, but it does have its uses and mine doesn't stay in the case all the time. Hope that helps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue May 18, 2004 10:33 pm

a lot of my drum sounds are from those as OH... i like them for what they're worth. great mics for not a lot! i would recommend them.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed May 19, 2004 6:30 am

I've used the 'G' model and was impressed with it's versatility for the price. I bought a black finish one a bit later, with the Mogami wiring, and like it as well (no idea if there is really any difference, as I've not had them up against each other.) Once in a while it's been the mic on vocals when my other regulars, like a TLM103, just weren't working. That justified it's place in my mic locker right there.

The green one is a lot prettier, though...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

edanderson
gettin' sounds

Post by edanderson » Wed May 19, 2004 8:41 am

i like mine. i agree with chris; it is bright, but it doesn't have so much of that sharp, spitty edge that other cheap chinese condensers have.

also, i royer-modded mine, and it definitely took it up a notch. so if you pick one up for cheap, you can pour a lil cash on it later and get a different (and imo better) sound out of it.

ed

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed May 19, 2004 8:59 am

For baritone vocals, it's super-smooth. It's my go-to mic for that right now. I've got the green and gold one so it looks cool, too.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 19, 2004 9:30 am

I had heard these were cool, so I got one of the black and gold "mogami" thingy's.

I put it up once, and gave it to our intern at the time. He was pumped.

If you have other good microphones this one would stay on the shelf, so rather than neglect a perfectly good piece of gear, I gave it to someone who would use it a bunch.

Any mic can work if you make it work.

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Wed May 19, 2004 12:15 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the G is just for Green, B for Black, etc. I have a black V67 and I like it quite a bit, but at the same time, it definitely doesn't work all the time on everything. It works really well for me on stuff dynamically in the middle where the vocalist is not singing very very loudly, but not so good for whispering. I find it's not bright or shrill like when you think of the usual "bright or shrill cheap Chinese microphone" cliche, which is good, but it can be maybe a little tinny or boxy if that makes any sense to you. It rocks on tamborine and fingersnaps I've used it to record a ukulele that came out really fabulous. This may be a new twist on describing microphones, but I would say it is kind of a "'70s sounding" microphone, it always seems to make me sound a little like I'm in Three Dog Night or Mott The Hoople or Chicago or something.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed May 19, 2004 1:07 pm

inverseroom wrote:For baritone vocals, it's super-smooth. It's my go-to mic for that right now. I've got the green and gold one so it looks cool, too.
Glad to hear it. I'm a baritone, and I was given one of these mics for Christmas. I haven't even had a chance to try it out, though.