tannoy PBM 6.5s - anyone using them ?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Disasteradio
pushin' record

tannoy PBM 6.5s - anyone using them ?

Post by Disasteradio » Thu May 20, 2004 6:32 am

Found some on a local auction site - any probs with these / any thoughts ? I'm looking to get a rung above my thrift-store teacs. (god bless 'em though)

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Re: tannoy PBM 6.5s - anyone using them ?

Post by jrsgodfrey » Thu May 20, 2004 7:09 am

I used these for a long time -- still do from time to time as thery're very portable. I think they're very good, but pretty bass deficient. Softer all around than say an NS10, not crispy at all, but fairly detailed. How you set them relative to a wall affects the low end and is a good way to "tune" the low end to your taste. You don't need a lot of power to drive them well, either, in my experience.

Of course, I like Tannoys -- many people hate them.

Good luck

Jay

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu May 20, 2004 8:29 am

I with Jay on this. I think they're fine speakers for the money and I'm also a Tannoy fan. I think they translate okay, given the bass deficiency, which you're just going to get out of a small speaker. I also haven't found them fatiguing at all.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Thu May 20, 2004 10:31 am

i have used them for years. they are my prefered monitor. love em.

Jerry_Pbury
audio school graduate

Post by Jerry_Pbury » Thu May 20, 2004 12:10 pm

I use them and drive them with an old Dynaco ST70 Stereo Tube amp. I adjust the bass by moving them around relative to a backwall. For midfields I use JBL 4410's. I know I'm probably nut's but they work and sound great. I've used them for at least the last 10 years.

Jerry

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 20, 2004 1:56 pm

I have the 6.5 II PMM's and love 'em to death. I have them set vertically about 9" from the wall, 3.5' apart in the middle of the room, about 6' from each side wall. The wall itself has a heavy winter stuffed quilt hanging about 1" out, floor to ceiling (seems to make the sound a little "tighter", whatever that means.)

I do not find them bass-deficient, but there is basically nothing below, say, 45Hz or so. Consequently, when mixing from the computer I'll turn on my Advent subwoofer (covering up its satellites) to get an idea of what is on the bottom, along with using CEP's frequency window.

I truly find them detailed enought to be useful, and pleasant to listen to. Incidentally, I use a 50 watt Mitsubishi integrated amp (P.O.S) to power 'em in my bedroom studio.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Thu May 20, 2004 4:02 pm

woah ! yeah these appear to be II's. This is great, I can get some good cable and run the tannoys and the teacs with my 4-way speaker switch. the teacs have a LOT of oompah on the bass, it's just my high end that's suffering with these. seems quite complimentary to them, plus it'd look hot. heh.

http://wwww.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/2 ... 4_full.jpg < these are 6.5 II's, not I's right ?

man thanks a whole bunch for all this. I love you all.