Acoustic Guitar and Vocal mics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
markbrandt
audio school

Acoustic Guitar and Vocal mics

Post by markbrandt » Sat May 22, 2004 8:19 pm

I am looking for a good microphone that is not too expensive that will work well to record an acoustic guitars and vocals. I'm in college and on a tight budget, so I don't want to spend too much.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

neemer
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Acoustic Guitar and Vocal mics

Post by neemer » Sat May 22, 2004 8:33 pm

What kind of budget? Some guys use an SM-57, which you can get for less than $100. There are some condensers you can get for $2-300. Depends on your budget and what you need it for.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat May 22, 2004 8:38 pm

Every great recordists mic collection begins with a Shure SM57 or SM58.

Probably want to start with one of them and work up from there. Both will suffice for basic acoustic guitar and vocal applications well.

No, they don't sound expensive, but they will get the job done. You don't have alot of money, so to expect better is really out of the question.

As you begin to save your money, condensor mics like the Oktava MK012 for acoustic guitar and something like the MXL2001 for vocals would be decent choices.

Later, as you have more money, you can get a single Neumann CMV563 (tube mic) with an M7 capsule and use it for both.

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Sat May 22, 2004 8:48 pm

I think one obvious choice would be the shure SM57. It really can sound good on acoustic guitar or vocals. Not to mention kickdrum, snare, gtr amp, organ, etc. etc. etc.

I think one thing to be careful about while micing acoustic or vocals with a 57 is proximity effect. If you get too close to this mic, things can get pretty bass heavy (muddy).

I think these go for like 80 bucks new, probably like 40 if you can find one in a pawn shop. SM58 might be easier to find at a pawn shop and is very similar , almost identical to the 57.

good luck.

jzahos
gettin' sounds

Post by jzahos » Sat May 22, 2004 10:08 pm

Mark-

I've personally started out with the Heil PR-20 (also known as Goldline Pro). This mic was reviewed very positively in the Mar/Apr 2004 Tape Op, pg. 64. I don't have any experience using the 57 as a vocal mic, but I just did some vocals with the PR-20 and was very pleased.

Check out the Heil Pro website: www.heilsound.com/proline.htm

Also, I spoke with Bob Heil himself at a recent ham radio show, (his company has been primarily involved in amateur radio until recently), and he showed me a prototype for the PR-20 in a smaller casing for use as an instrumental mic, much like the dimensions of the 57. It should be available in a couple months. There will also be a new condenser coming out from them too.

Check a Heil dealer like www.amateuraccessories.com/ for this mic (PR-20 is usually about $130-$140).

Also you might think about a 'recording pack' from MXL. For about $150 you get a 2001, a large diaphragm capacitor mic and a 603, a small cap. mic. Our school (U of Illinois) AES chapter owns these mics and I use them often, with very pleasing results on voice, piano and guitars (acoustic and electric).

A lot of people really like the Rode mics, which are a little more, but probably worth it. Other people could tell more about them than I, though.

Personally, I just kind of want to see if I can never own an sm-57. I'll certainly use them when available, and they're a war-horse mic for the ages, but I figure why not try something else? The nice thing with the Heil is that they are really hand-made and quality control is very good.

Hope this helps more than it confuses-
JZ.

SecondSon
pushin' record

Post by SecondSon » Mon May 24, 2004 6:34 am

Don't forget that you are most likely going to need a preamp as well if you don't own one. Anyway, the sm57 is a great all round mic, though I find myself not using them more than using them for acoustic guitar. I will often use them on an acoustic, but in conjunction with a Large diaphragm. For my acoustic guitars, I like the Audio Technica 3035. It is also a good vocal mic. I haven't recorded an acoustic guitar in quite some time, but if you want some clips from a year or so ago in which I used the AT3035 on an acoustic, there is a song called "Calix Capto" on the music page of http://www.secondsonmusic.com. Those were done with the AT3035 about two feet away in conjuntion with a AKGD112 right around the 12 fret. As for Vocal samples, well i wish I could show you vocals I am pleased with, once again I have some old clips when I was using the AT3035 on vocals (I now have a mic that I like better for my voice that was 900 bucks). For the vocal samples, you can go to http://www.oneofnothing.com, songs: Steps, Whiskey Dick, Beef and the Proton Machine, we're all done with a AT3035 into a shitty preamp. All the other songs were recorded using an AKGC1000B or something like that (hated that mic).

I think if you are just looking to record some acoustic guitar and some vocals, you will much more pleased with a large diaphragm condenser rather than a dynamic. I know that I was blown away the first time I recorded with my AKG condenser (even though I now hate that mic).
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"