what is an analog guy to mix with?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

what di I mix to other than analog or pro tools/computer

Poll ended at Sat May 29, 2004 1:38 am

alesis masterlink
14%
other
86%

Total votes: 7

samezvous
audio school graduate

what is an analog guy to mix with?

Post by samezvous » Mon May 24, 2004 1:38 am

i am brand new to this site, so hello to all. i have a question. i run a simple little 16 track analog home studio that i record my cds with. it's nothing too extravagant. i use an allen and heath board to an otari 1inch. my question is what to use as my main mixing deck. i have always used DAT recorders in the past but my panasonic machine (despite being serviced repeatedly over the years by good techs) is again eating tapes and i need a new format as they don't make DAT players any longer (thank god). as much as i would like to mix to analog, it's just not practical and i have no ability to go pro tools anytime soon. i have heard recommendations to use an Alesis Masterlink. with what i've got, what would you all suggest as my main 2 track. the masterlink or something else? any help would be greatly appreciated. please be aware that my knowledge of technical matters is admittedly somewhat limited and so i will probably have no idea what you mean if answered in tech-speak. thanks for you understanding
eli

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Re: what is an analog guy to mix with?

Post by junkstar » Mon May 24, 2004 6:23 am

I mix to an HHB BurnIt and totally love it. It does not provide any outboard functions like the Masterlink.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Re: what is an analog guy to mix with?

Post by Brian Brock » Mon May 24, 2004 9:20 am

Hi there - your band looks interesting, I'll have to check out the mp3s when I'm at a computer that works better.

I really don't think you can go wrong with the Masterlink - if you search the archives here, you'll see a lot of people like it, the main quibble being with the converters - keep in mind that these quibblers are comparing with dedicated converters costing more money than the Masterlink. The DSP is like a bonus - it does some useful stuff, but not great.

I think it sounds great - it has a lot of cool options, it's fairly easy to use, the I/O lets it integrate with whatever equipment you have...