Overdriving my API 512C sounds like crap.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
SecondSon
pushin' record

Overdriving my API 512C sounds like crap.

Post by SecondSon » Mon May 24, 2004 7:09 am

for Preamps, I have and API 512C, RNP, and an ART Pro channel.

I have often been having problems of overdriving the pre's. With the ART, it becomes a suttle distortion depending on the amount of overdriving. However, on the two better (api and rnp) preamps, if the signal gets to hot, it goes from good to crap in what I swear to be a difference of three Db. There is no in between. Is sounds exactly like a clip when recording digital.

My question is, is this how preamps without tubes sound when you push them to hard? Or is there something wrong with my preamps that I am unaware of. I use the ART (has tubes) to get a nice distorted vocal on screams for metal music, but it seems I can't do this with my nice pre's becuase they just sound like butt.

I still love the API, it just might not be possible to work for getting distortion.
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Why does my API sound like shit???

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon May 24, 2004 7:20 am

I have seen this before when using unbalanced cabling. If you're not working with a fully balanced cable studio, you should move into that domain in the future.

SecondSon
pushin' record

Post by SecondSon » Mon May 24, 2004 7:23 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:I have seen this before when using unbalanced cabling. If you're not working with a fully balanced cable studio, you should move into that domain in the future.
Thanks Jeff. I am using all XLR cables throughout the whole path, I think that means I have a balanced signal, but I am not sure. As for the RNP', I have two 1/4" balanced Monster cables coming out of the back of those into my A/D. Not sure if I am balanced or not, but I am pretty sure that I am.
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"

mjau
speech impediment

Re: Overdriving my API 512C sounds like crap.

Post by mjau » Mon May 24, 2004 7:24 am

I can't speak for the API, but I do know that the RNP is best suited for cleaner stuff, kinda like how I wouldn't use the RNC when a Distressor is what's needed (or for my poor ass, the Smashup).

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Mon May 24, 2004 7:47 am

solid state and tube pre's distort differently. it's just the way they are. one person's crap is another's goldmine, ya know?

if the big change happens within 3 db like you say, try pushing 1db into that range on the loudest parts. some pre's are just really sensitive.

on my great river NV the output knob is really sensitive. the difference in level from the knob being all the way down, to having it up just a little from there, is maybe 8 db or so. after that it smooths out.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon May 24, 2004 8:13 am

The API's don't have an output control. your probably clipping somewhere else.

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Mon May 24, 2004 10:36 am

The API only has an output knob - there is no other. If you overdrive an opamp, it usuallly sounds like s**t and the API is an opamp preamp. Tubes are much more forgiving when it comes to clipping which is why you have a better time with tthe ART. Hitting hard and overdriving are two different things. The API sounds good when hit hard, but if you are clipping, try switching a pad on either the pre or the mic.
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon May 24, 2004 10:42 am

I don't know that he mentioned the model number of the ART, but I'm guessing that it's not really a tube pre either....just sends the signal through a tube for an effect....like a distortion pedal or something. That's usually how these types work.
If you were to be using a true tube preamp...then you will have a lovely (to some) sounding distortion, if that's what you're looking for. I think I'd go for recording through the API hot, but not distorted and then looking to add some bit/grunge later. Plenty of plugs that'll do that.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon May 24, 2004 10:43 am

...or get something like a green bullet and plug into a guitar amp and mic that. How distorted do you want it?
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon May 24, 2004 12:01 pm

never used the 512's, but i have a pair of 312's. i swear that 40% of the gain is in the last 5 to 10% of the output trim. it gets REALLY sensitive there at the high end...

bmaxwell
audio school graduate

Post by bmaxwell » Mon May 24, 2004 3:03 pm

Yeah, I've had bad luck trying to overdrive API pre's too, but it's not just becouse of it being a solid state pre. Neve preamps(non tube) have a fantastic distortion, very usable, very very cool.

Someone explained the reason for this to me a while back(but of course I can't remember). It might be becouse of the opamp that's used in the API's(I don't beleive there are any opamps in Neves)

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 24, 2004 3:10 pm

Exact same thing was happening to me last night on some API 512's. After some mic coaching and no more clipping, i liked what i got. AT4060-API 512-Symetrix compressor- into Digi 002.

First we tried a a DBX 160VU, and it just sounded to furry. Amazingly the cheap of symmetrix did the job!!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon May 24, 2004 7:15 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:I have seen this before when using unbalanced cabling. If you're not working with a fully balanced cable studio, you should move into that domain in the future.
Hi Jeff,
Please explain this. Seems like if you're overloading, then you're overloading. Why would it make any difference whether it's balanced or unbalanced?

slowjam
audio school

Post by slowjam » Mon May 24, 2004 9:01 pm

bmaxwell wrote:Neve preamps(non tube) have a fantastic distortion, very usable, very very cool.

Someone explained the reason for this to me a while back(but of course I can't remember). It might be becouse of the opamp that's used in the API's(I don't beleive there are any opamps in Neves)
The transformers in the Neves distort in a more pleasant way than opamps do. Transoformers usually have a gradual rise time when they start distorting/compressing a too-loud signal, as do tubes. IC chips tend to clip abruptly.