behringer headphone amp

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

behringer headphone amp

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:24 pm

who has one of these? are you happy with it? can I do any better for under 200?
Cheers,
Raymond

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Re: behringer headphone amp

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:49 pm

I have one, and it works just great. Best $99 I spent. Hehhe.

s

sashacasa
ass engineer

Post by sashacasa » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:18 pm

i've got one. never had a problem with it. for a hundred bucks you can't beat it.
tyler

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:24 pm

you might be better off with a used rane hc6 like so:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=3278

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:31 pm

For a commercial studio, the B's won't work 'cause IIRC the inputs are on the front (puts a damper in a rackmount situation. They might have changed this. The Rane HC6; I've used for three years with nothing but perfect headphone amlification. No frills, no nonsense. PS The B's are unbalanced IIRC, again, not a big deal in a home or project situation.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

Jerry
pluggin' in mics

Post by Jerry » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:42 pm

I have one, which I liked for the fact that it had four channels and that you can send a different mix to each channel using a mixers aux outputs. The downside of the unit is that the minumum total load for each channel (as recommended by the manual) is 100 ohms. Most headphones - used alone - are in the 30 to 60 ohm range. Every time you put another set of normal headphones on the channel, it drives the impedance down even more.

I wound up buyin about four sets of AKG 240Ms to work with the headphone amp (but I'm not sorry about that) because of the 600 ohm impedence of those phones. The amp cost me $150 at the time and I spent almost $400.00 on phones. I've had people come over to record who would prefer their own headphones and I can't let them use them.

Bear in mind that I bought the first generation model. I know that there are a couple of revisions since then. If Behringer has done away with this limitation, I'd recommend this headphone amp for its flexibility. If not, be prepared to spend a bunch on high-end headphones.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:12 pm

perhaps i'm not using mine wisely - but i've always used whatever the hell phones i have w/o a problem with my behringer. everything from crap bought at walgreens to relatively decent stuff. i've never had a problem w getting enough gain, there's enough to pretty easily cover me playing drums pretty hard. it's one behringer product that seems decent to me.

i like it. works well for me.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:20 pm

or something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=3278

the little symetrix box

in general, for utility boxes rane and symetrix make some pretty good stuff.

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:22 pm

I have one,,the older 4400. It works fine. $99, hard to beat. It's not a real focus intensive piece of the studio. As long as I can hear what I need to in the cans,,it'll do till it breaks,,or I decide I need better. The only other Behringer product I have the is V-Amp. The old one. I've not used it in a long time,,having opted for the the Korg PX4 Pandora. My good phones are ATH-M40fs,,with my other two pair being real cheapie Yorkville $40 dollar jobs. They work. Headphones are not a priority with me. I work mostly alone anyway.

mrhawkinson
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mrhawkinson » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:38 pm

redrocketsglare wrote:who has one of these? are you happy with it? can I do any better for under 200?
Cheers,
Raymond
I like the build quality better on the 6 channel Rolls (the rack mount HA62, not the 4 channel box thingy). I've had mine 2 years and it does the trick. I haven't recorded using the Behringer, though.

-p

moogrocker
gettin' sounds

Post by moogrocker » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:02 pm

I've got one too and I'm superbly happy with it. When I was shopping I looked at virtually every other brand but the problem was I needed a headphone amp that had left and right inputs, not just a stereo one. Behringer was the only affordable amp that had that feature, plus it is a lot more versitile than the rolls and others since it has multiple inputs. So far I've never had an impedence problem. Finally an A+ for behringer.

John

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:23 pm

i have the samson Q5 which works great, very simple. plus the mono button on there is super useful. i now use the oz audio q-mix, which i got used for $125. it is totally awesome. it lets you do 6 different headphone mixes with 1 stereo and 4 mono inputs. now you can finally give the drummer more kick without making everyone else's headphones fart.

ayan

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:07 pm

We encorporate one in our headphone system and it's been great so far. It's easy enough to give any one of the four phones "more me" with the aux inputs, and it sounds decent as well. We also use a series of old Alesis MicroCue Amps, and a Rolls as well as a Samson, all patchable from our patch bay.

I'm able to send whatever mix I want to any of the headphone amps if I need to. It took a lot of cabling at first, but once it's set up, it's been great.

Roger

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:34 pm

I have the Rolls 6 output rackable unit mentioned above, and I like it alot. You have the option of either a 1/4TRS stereo in, separate l/r 1/4 ins, another aux in, and inserts on each channel. I've used it it situations where there were various headphones with many different impedences and it worked well. It seems pretty well built, and I picked it up at Guitar Center for $130...only $30 more than the Behringer, and it seems to be built quite a bit better.

my .02

Frank