euro vs. us AC supply

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jimbo
audio school graduate

euro vs. us AC supply

Post by jimbo » Thu May 08, 2003 12:14 pm

just a random question - something i was thinking the other day.

say you had a studio here in the US - or even just a ton of recording equipment...and you decided to move over seas (europe specifically). what do you do about the difference in electrical outlets? do you have to sell yr equipment to buy compatible stuff? is there a way to re-wire? or do you just get some adapters?

i guess the same would go for any type of AC device (TV, stereo system, microwave, etc.) that someone who's moving to europe would bring with them. not that i'm moving or anything...but could be an option for myself or anyone else at this board. i was curious if anyone's ever done that or know someone who has.

-jimbo

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: euro vs. us AC supply

Post by soundguy » Thu May 08, 2003 12:31 pm

AC in USA is 110V. Most countries in Europe are 220. You can either get a transformer to run your stuff, or on some sophisticated power supplies, you can change the wiring on the primaries. There is a good amount of rack gear that has a switch on the back which you just slide over to the 220v position, in that case all you would need would be to change the connector on the power cable to mate with whatever socket you have to plug into. Ive done some tours in europe with a package that was built for recording in the US, and working with transformers has never been a problem for me.

Its really not that big a deal.

dave

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu May 08, 2003 6:58 pm

The easiest will be that world-wide gear that has switchable power supplies. The tough part is all of that stuff that has normal 110, especially those old tape machines we all love. Transformers work but not the cheap Radio Shack ones that are designed for hair driers, you want something that will protect your equipment. When I was a teenager I lived in England for a while and we killed an American VCR by running through a relatively pricey (for consumer crap) $90 transformer. The other consideration is the synch frequency which is very important for mechanical devices as that is how they derive their operating speed (like 15 inches per second). The US runs at 60Hz and Europe runs at 50Hz. Most cheap transformers address voltage but have no adjustment for the cycling speed. The result is that your machines run 16% slower and your 5 minute song runs about 5:50.

The other option is something like the Furman AR-Pro transformer which is about the best power conditioner you can buy until you get to those dedicated trucks. It can take any power from about 90volts to 260volts from 45Hz to 85Hz and give you perfect 110v, 60Hz power out the back. Of course it costs about $2500 but it's the last one you'll ever need, and worth it is you have a vintage 24-track machine and console moving with you. A lot of touring folks use them just in the US since you never know what the local power company will actually be delivering.

-Jeremy

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Fri May 09, 2003 6:53 am

I was wondering this same exact thing. A few months back when someone told me if I disliked the US so much that I should move, I began seriously entertaining the idea and what it would take to move stuff like my equipment and my pets and my fleet of vehicles.

Thanks for asking!

-GABE

bitdump
ass engineer

Post by bitdump » Fri May 09, 2003 7:24 am

I did this about a year and half ago, ditched the USA for Italy.

Most of the newer gear can be switched or have universal supplies. The console, and some other stuff like that wasn't a big deal.

The other thing is to have someone electrical guru look at the supplies in the stuff that doesn't switch. For example my KRK V6 did not come with the switchable powersupply via the fuse block, like stated in the manual. But popped them open with some electrical designer guys and it was just a matter of chaning the 4 wires to the moster transformer in there. Most generic supplies can be hard wired for one or the other, same supply for USA and Eurp markets, just wired differently. snip snip solder solder all set. What should go where should be written on the supply itself, so you wont know until you pop the hood.

My problem was old stuff, which did not have that type of supply, the supply could only be run at one rate. Well I think, I haven't gotten though all of them yet, like my SCI sixtrac or Casio VZ8m, they might might not haven't poped them open. Anyway I have a transformer for them, well limited number as it is only 100 watts and it is a cheapo, avoid them if you can. I don't run much of the 110 stuff or little over 15 to 30 watts at a time as just about every thing else is switched now.

Not that bad, but can be a pain, get what ever service manuals and other such things before leaving the states or lie, they can be real dicks about support as that only applies to country or purcase.

Tape machines and turntables are a pain in the ass, depending on the machine, again schematics help alot, and someone who can read em.

All in all not that bad though.

One last thing, if you do move, lable what was and wasn't switched as you go, and do it big and clearly, poofed fuse for a Obe DX drum machine, thought I switched it, didn't blew the fuse, which reminds me I have to get a new fuse. :roll:

Sound-Design-Live
audio school graduate

Post by Sound-Design-Live » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:04 am

Does anyone have contacts in Lisbon, Portugal? I'm an engineer/musician planning to move there soon and i need to get some info on the music/recording studio scene.
thanks for any help