a new forum: TapeOpCon-versation ????

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

a new forum: TapeOpCon-versation ????

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:02 am

it has been suggested to me that we have a separate forum on the board for those that want to continue discussion on ideas brought up at the conference...

do you think this would be a cool idea? waste of time? end up trashy? would that matter?

:mrpink: hillary

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: a new forum: TapeOpCon-versation ????

Post by wing » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:15 am

I like the idea... I also like the title of this thread. You're so witty.

Spy Boy
audio school graduate

Post by Spy Boy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:40 am

Love the idea and love the name. Do it!

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:42 am

I dont know. That seems like creating a forum for people who only have blond hair. More people here didnt go than did go, I think it will end up creating a clique. And if you've ver seen PSW, that's NOT good for forums or any other aspect of life. Anytime you give people a time and place to conjugate and doing so citing similiar interests, ther eis bound to be discrimination of many sorts.

May I say three words to demonstrate my point of clique's and disruption caused by them?

Off-Topic Forum.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

moosapotamus
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by moosapotamus » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:46 am

fwiw - I kind of agree w/ Aux. Not sure what the benefit would really be. Possibly more of a hassle to have to check in to two different forums just to keep tabs.

~ Charlie
http://moosapotamus.net/
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:11 pm

I don't think that's what Hillary means. Not a forum with a special password to which only people who attended the conference are granted access. More like a way to organize those discussions so that they're not so randomly posted in here. (Am I right about that Hillary?)

I think it could be a cool thing and maybe a good way to get more people to realize the value of attending.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Chris, my point was: A lot of people who werent there will miss out on the many, oh so many, conversations that start out with, "Remember when they talked about that one mic? Man, so cool". Im sure there was information there which would be great for people to share.

I just think if it became a seperate area, it would seperate the community just a bit. Ever been to a foroum where 50% of the people know (or have met) each other RL, and the rest dont? Its quick to spawn lots of "remember when" style threads... Just seems like a small wedge in the community, bring one section together more while alienating another part.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:56 pm

Take this with a grain of salt. I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here (as I usually do).

Sure, I see what you're saying, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not like everybody who went is gonna stay over there and everybody who didn't go wouldn't ever visit. Hell, if I hadn't gone, I'd be all about hanging out in there to see what went on. I mean, we all spent our money to go and have fun and learn. Frankly, I can understand somewhat why Larry and the gang are reluctant to release documentation of the conferences. At the same time, there's certainly a desire for them to do it and I can understand that, too.

As far as getting clicky, this forum can be a bit like that already, though not unnervingly so. I'm more likely to jump in on conversations with people on here I have conversed with outside of this board. It was a nice surprise when I started posting to see that justinf was here. I'm thankful to soundguy for offering me a place to stay a couple months ago. I'm thankful to Andy Hong for taking lots of initiative to see that I've had fun in a THREE of different citites (and safe travel in snow between two of those). I'm thankful for people who have given me rides and bought me a few beers and bothered to say hi to me or thank me for what I've had to say, stupid or not. Does that make me elitist? I don't think so. I think that's part of what gives this board so much personality.

I say Hillary should go for it, but I'm certainly not gonna lose sleep over it either way. Who knows? Maybe if it's that important than she shouldn't do it. I'd certainly agree that if people are gonna get bent out of shape about it, it's not worth the argument.

Sorry for the rant. I certainly don't want to alienate anybody.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:56 pm

no, i didn't mean any kind of separate, password-protected thing or anything...just a separate forum.
i'm not really into the idea because it will mean ideas will be spread out even more.
but i'm willing to do a separate one if everyone sees it as a valuable thing...

??

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:08 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:no, i didn't mean any kind of separate, password-protected thing or anything...just a separate forum.
i'm not really into the idea because it will mean ideas will be spread out even more.
but i'm willing to do a separate one if everyone sees it as a valuable thing...

??
How did you guys get that aI assumed some sort of password protected thing? I think just the existance of the forum would be detrimental :)

And I also dont see where I inferred anyone would become, or is elitist? Sorry if it seemed so.

Like Hillary said I think this will just spread idaes a little thin, but bring "parties" closer together. Like chris said, it's already happening a little, not annoyingly so. Do we really need to feed it more? Anyone who even hopped in to PSW recpit the last few weeks before it got revamped knows exactly what Im talking about. Or you can go look at kvr-vst.com, a previously wonderful community that has gone downhill a little more in constructive threads everytime they add another forum. Or harmony-central?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:16 pm

Auxillary wrote:How did you guys get that aI assumed some sort of password protected thing? I think just the existance of the forum would be detrimental :)
That was me, blowing things out of proportion, as usual, just to make a point. Sorry. I see what you're saying, but this is coming from a guy who's never even looked at the computer recording section of this forum. I actually enjoy the fact that General Recording isn't bogged down with computer questions the way that, say EQ magazine is becoming and that Off Topic is now much more fun than it used to be.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:19 pm

I can understand that. But there isnt a level of "Hey, me and these two guys use computers. you dont" then they start writing each other notes in binary. When you have a group (not just a few personal) of people who've made a physical or emotional connection it becomes a little more deep. I couuld of course see tapeop without a computer recording section... this is TAPE-OP after all eh? but I digress... I think it's just a bit of sour grapes ya know? (I couldnt go)

dstroud
takin' a dinner break

Post by dstroud » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:44 pm

I've really loved the Con posts I've read, having gone to the convention. The great quotes post on the misc. board was classic.

Basically, I'm too lazy to have to click on another board and read the posts there, so I'm not wild about the idea of another board. It's all the same to me.

-Dan