How was Pet Sounds redone in stereo?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
mjau
speech impediment

How was Pet Sounds redone in stereo?

Post by mjau » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:11 am

I know the original mix was in mono, and there was a good deal of bouncing done along the way while tracking. When the stereo version was released a few years back, how was that done?

red cross
buyin' gear

Re: How was Pet Sounds redone in stereo?

Post by red cross » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:05 am

Original four-track tapes with the backing tracks were synced up digitally with the eight-track tapes containing the mono track mix and vocal overdubs (Bear in mind that the BBs often triple tracked their background harmonies, each time singing together around a single mic, giving them the equivalent of an eighteen man choir!). Everything then mixed through a UA tube console from the same time period. That's it in a nutshell I think. There's not enough praise in this world one could give Mark Linett for a truly awesome job.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:42 pm

Wow, I had no idea it was re-done from scratch. I figured it was just panning stem mixes or something like that. Which is why I've not bothered to check out the stereo mixes, and stuck with mono. Chalk up one for ignorance.

Where did you get the scoop on this? Is there an article somewhere with the details?

Leigh

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:48 pm

I think the cd insert from the stereo-remixed album has some info on it, as does the book that comes with the boxed set. I haven't read the book in about a year and a half, and was listening to the stereo stuff today, wondering how it was pulled off. It doesn't sound like a bunch of high end phase shifting and delay, but comes across as a really great stereo mix.

I've heard that Brian Wilson sat in on the remix, so everything got his stamp of approval.

trash180
takin' a dinner break

Post by trash180 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:58 pm

mjau wrote:I've heard that Brian Wilson sat in on the remix, so everything got his stamp of approval.
There was a lot of trust involved since Brian is deaf in one ear.

Also, back when I worked at the record store, a blind guy told me that there were a few instruments missing here and there on the stereo mix...like a ukelele or a banjo or som'n. I've never heard what he was talking about though.

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:01 pm

Bit weird that the stereo mix of Wouldnt It Be Nice is a tad-bit sped up and nobody noticed it.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:14 am

Yeah, on the stereo mixes there are certain parts missing...

I cant remember exactly what they are, but your friend is right...

Not sure why they did that...

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:14 am

I figured it was just panning stem mixes or something like that.
Well, that's actually quite close to the truth. The backing tracks were recorded live to 4-track (actually most of the time they just used three - the fourth being saved for overdubs), so in essence their wasn't THAT much balancing to do to replicate the original. What really makes the stereo version do it for me is that we are now at least two or three generations closer to the original 4 and 8 track tapes, and the resulting increase in fidelity is absolutely stunning. Gorgeous, sacred music.

rucchi166
pluggin' in mics

Post by rucchi166 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:01 am

the one thing that really upsets me about the stereo mix of pet sounds is the song caroline no. they pulled that wonderful drum fill down so low that it seems almost buried. other than that its pretty damn interesting.

man of the hills
audio school graduate

Post by man of the hills » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:01 pm

It depends on which stereo mix you are talking about.

The first stereo remix is not a favorite of mine of one reason.

On WOULDN'T IT BE NICE Brian Wilson's vocals replaces Mike Love's.

Do a comparison of the two on the CD that contains both mono and stereo mixes.

Darren

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm

The stereo mixes never did much for me - I am so used to the mono mixes, that when I heard them in stereo a few years ago I was upset. They just don't have the character - I can't define what that is exactly, but maybe some of you know what I am talking about: the "charm"
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:37 pm

I tend to go back and forth between the mono and stereo versions. I like the mono album, but my copy of that on cd has a ton of tape hiss on the tracks, while the stereo is a bit cleaner.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:13 am

i think mark linnett did those - he posts stuff over at RAP...i bought a microphone online and turned out to be from him. his posts are pretty informative to say the least....

Mike

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:29 am

bigtoe wrote:i think mark linnett did those - he posts stuff over at RAP...i bought a microphone online and turned out to be from him. his posts are pretty informative to say the least....

Mike
RAP? What that?
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:41 am

Greenlander wrote:
bigtoe wrote:i think mark linnett did those - he posts stuff over at RAP...i bought a microphone online and turned out to be from him. his posts are pretty informative to say the least....

Mike
RAP? What that?
go to google groups and then hit

rec/audio/pro

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... .audio.pro

i just did a search over there on him on the whole google group...he posts in the beachboys group as well...which is nerd city, no offense...i mean i'm a big nerd too but whoa...only thing worse than a trekkie is a beachboys freak...whups did i just say that?

*ducks and runs*

Mike