bands that make you want to vomit...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: bands that make you want to vomit...

Post by wing » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:10 pm

nate wrote:
Ajpulzetti wrote:Coheed and Cambria are starting to make me want to vomit, if only just a little bit. Though, I feel this is a case of a band with a lot of talent that chooses to waste it on trying to be the world's largest sci-fi nerds. The complete slapstick humor of their videos and Claudio's ridiculous hair give me a slight tickle in my gag reflex.
2x. I don't see what the hype is all about. The vocals are way too Geddy Lee-esque for me to like them.
hear hear!! i totally agree. in fact, when i first heard them, i really did think "is that geddy lee in a punk pop band?"

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:11 pm

llmonty wrote:
pk wrote:I had Leno on last night in the background when he starts introducing this band called "The Calling". I glanced over to the tv set, thinking it might be interesting.
How wrong I was. I started to develop an ulcer when the first chorus kicked in.
I sat there amazed, that crap like this gets signed. Think Creed-like music with a skinny blond, boy-band type singer. It was bloody awful.

I can't think of the last time I heard such insipid lyrics. I didn't know if busting out laughing or feeling sorry for them (and anyone who actually listens to them) i smore appropriate.

Ever had these sentiments when seeing a band live or perform on tv?
I don't know if you read my post in the PJ thread in OT, but I wrote:
...i switched over to crappy leno and the F*ckin' Calling was on. One of the guitar players was also playing an orange (like the PJ guy), but sounded terrible. And that SINGER, makes me ill - I mean he is a joke right - getting all up into the camera, looking all serious and half jumping around saying some crap like "these are the times of our lives". Fuck, fuck, fuck. Long live PJ.

i really DID feel like I might puke, i mean seriously. and i have heard some bad music in my time - this really was one of the worst displays of music i had ever seen, jesus christ
I missed your PJ thread, but damn, you nailed it, we must have puked at the same moment. I mean, sure, I've seen 'bad' bands before, but something was really special about this one, it's uber-badness was clearly enough to make me jump out the window...that singer, my god that singer......he needs to be selling $40 sox at Fred Segal, not become lead singer of an already bad band.....

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:34 pm

nate wrote:
Ajpulzetti wrote:Coheed and Cambria are starting to make me want to vomit, if only just a little bit. Though, I feel this is a case of a band with a lot of talent that chooses to waste it on trying to be the world's largest sci-fi nerds. The complete slapstick humor of their videos and Claudio's ridiculous hair give me a slight tickle in my gag reflex.
2x. I don't see what the hype is all about. The vocals are way too Geddy Lee-esque for me to like them.
What about the voice of Geddy Lee?
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:37 pm

Rigsby wrote:What about the voice of Geddy Lee?
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
I know him, and he does.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:38 pm

AFI... My roommate loves this band. He plays them constantly...morning, night time, driving, the fucking ring tone to his cellphone! and even has Multiple (as in more than one) tattoo's that have something to do with them. God just hearing about them pisses me off. Fuck those guys.

I am getting might sick of Reggie and the Full Effect too (see above roommate)

Also Thursday. Yup, them too.

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:42 pm

How about these guys:

http://www.dayofinfamymusic.com/

hanson meets pearljam

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:54 pm

I just watched one of their videos online to see how bad they were. It must have been the guys voice but I swear to god there was a few seconds where my ears felt like they were about to implode. Im not even joking, it was this really weird pressurized feeling.

Jesse

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:09 pm

Jesse Skeens wrote:How about these guys:

hanson meets pearljam
HAHAHAHA... this is hilarious. Did they intend for the video to be so comical?

And why does the kid drummer need so many drums and cymbals? It's not like he really uses any of that in the songs... haha.

Ajpulzetti
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ajpulzetti » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:10 pm

kdarr wrote: You know who else I hate? New Found Glory. That super nasal, auto-tuned-to-hell voice, combined with the world's most generic pop-rock backing just makes me want to claw my own cochleas out and spray oven cleaner into the holes. :x

|<|>|
wait, wait, wait. Are you saying that new found glory uses an auto-tuner? I thought when you were in a pop punk band, teenage girls liked you so much for absolutely no good reason that your voice just started coming out at a machine-perfect pitch.

Have I been mislead guys?

Also, if you do that thing with your cochleas, record it and post in on this board. I'm curious.
May you live a hundered years and may the last voice that you hear be mine.
- Frank Sinatra

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:17 pm

I gotta say Maroon 5, but only because my girlfriend thinks the singer is hot and has to watch the video or listen to their songs on the radio EVERY time they come on! Damn.

BTW mjau, dig your signature...."I took some money from your purse".....
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Ajpulzetti
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ajpulzetti » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:18 pm

hanson meets pearljam
how about those guys is right.

then again, I didn't have even a low budget video put out with my band in it when I was 7.

One that I would later look back on and want to kill whoever reassured me that it was good.
May you live a hundered years and may the last voice that you hear be mine.
- Frank Sinatra

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:19 pm

Hey, thanks...gotta be one of my favorite songs of all time.

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:37 pm

wing wrote:

hanson meets pearljam
HAHAHAHA... this is hilarious. Did they intend for the video to be so comical?

And why does the kid drummer need so many drums and cymbals? It's not like he really uses any of that in the songs... haha.
I havent even seen the video. I saw an ad for these kids in some local music mag here in Orlando. They were dressed up to kinda look like what's his face from AC/DC, all in school uniforms. Looking very serious for their age and the name didn't help much in the dont take yourself too serious dept. Anyways the thread made me look up their site as I was betting it would be a laugh.

Jesse

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:24 pm

Pick a hair band I'll Vomit!
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

JaredEll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by JaredEll » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:27 pm

JASIII wrote:I gotta say Maroon 5, but only because my girlfriend thinks the singer is hot and has to watch the video or listen to their songs on the radio EVERY time they come on! Damn.
God I am soo sick of that band! I have friends that could just play that song over and over, and time it comes on the radio (it seems to usualy be on 2 or 3 stations at once), they are so excited.