I Got A Thin Floor

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

I Got A Thin Floor

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:18 pm

Well, the good news is I finely found a place in New York!!! It is in green point and is spacious, cheap, and the shower is in the kitchen. The ONE AND ONLY down side is that the floors are thin and there is an old polish couple downstairs. This may pose a problem for practicing, and cirtenly when listening to records. But it was too good a deal to pass up.
So what should I do??? Acoustic floor matting sounds like a nice thing. I've looked on the Auralex website, but I don't want to take no sounding proofing advice from no company website. I come from Rhode Island, after all. I wouldn't mind putting something on one of the walls, but thats not as much of a worry. I am on the top floor, so its just the people below me. I do not need to do anything crazy, I mean, just some regular gym mats might do the least. I just want to be able to turn my stereo up, and plug in my bass.
I have not moved in yet, so I don't remember a lot of things about the apartment yet. Next week.

Thank you.

Lots of love,
Lance

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Re: I Got A Thin Floor

Post by dokushoka » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:24 pm

I'm currently building a new studio in SF, and don't want to bug my very nice neighbors in the design firm below us. While the noise isn't a huge issue for them, I'll be floating my floor in the tracking room. Basically, We'll build a new floor joyce which is supported by these:

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_ ... _uboat.asp

These decouple the new floor. The next step is to add mass beneath your new floor, so rock wool would be ideal, but if you can't afford that, pink panther or johns manville insulation would help as well.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:51 pm

Well, i don't think I am going to be doing much building in this apartment. Matting of some sort seems the best thing just because I can pick it up and take it with me when i move. I mean, I dunno. maybe a colapsable "stage" of some sort might be a good idea. I've thought about putting my speakers way up high??

Would bass traps help at all??? They would actually help reduce resonance?

But let me know how that goes, because I hope to be doing some building with in the next year.

thenumber
steve albini likes it

Post by thenumber » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:59 pm

anything that dampens or eliminates the physical connection from a sound source to the floor will help. speaker stands, with a sheet of foam or something (mousepad?) between the speakers and the stand would be good

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:21 pm

neoprime (neo preem is how it's pronounced. i'm not sure about spelling) foam, black, comes in sheets of varying thickness - is recommended for decoupling bass and stuff - like you put it under your monitors when they sit on top of the meter bridge. Similar to and cheaper than mousepads.

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Post by pandafresh » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:29 pm

live in a apartment in astoria QNS, on the top floor, with a nice OLD lady below. well i think she's to deaf to hear much.
still, i have carpets i got at the local dime kinda stores thrown all over the floor. then, my desk legs sit on little peice of styrofoam, and my montoris actualy sit on top of left over square piece's of aurlex foam. 2" thick maybe? so hopefully then, the speaks in theory are connected to nothing. then my amp [15 watt vox] i eaither put in my cloest full of winter close and bedding for recording, when i want it out. its on top of a keyboard stand in the middle of my room about waist level.
kyeboard stands feet sit on foam too. ontop of carpet. and i don't rock it, well at all, but i do my loudest.. amp recording & mixing during the afternoons and on weekends. the best thing to do, witch i have also done, is go and talk to you neighbor, and give them your phone number. and tell them to call if.. whatever.
the lack of communication is what will cause problems in the long run. if the neighbor knows your trying to not be a pest. they will be more helpfull and forgiving. IE. sometimes even telling you they are giong out of town for XX amount of time.. so you know you can do whatever!!

-trevor

Crono
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Crono » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:33 pm

Yes, the floated floor method described in the famous reference book Modern Recording Techniques, using the materials described, would yield good results.