doing work for less than what you charge

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

doing work for less than what you charge

Post by dungeonsound615 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:14 pm

So im trying to build up my client base anyway i can. Now i have a normal rate that i charge. However sometimes i get a band that says well were kinda on a budget can you cut a a deal. Now a part of me wants to say no i cant cut you a deal but then another part says hey do it you may get paid less but work is work and they maybe able to refer someone to you in the future, what ya all think of this situation.
thanks Mike

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Re: doing work for less than what you charge

Post by FNM » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:20 pm

I'd say if they were a good band that would be worthwhile to work with, then you should cut them a deal because it could benefit you and possibly get your name out in the future.

But that's just me.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:21 pm

Do you have another source of income which will allow you to cut a deal? if so, then your gut feeling is right. I do it all the time and feel like i'm cheating myself but that's a lot better than the feeling of having no one to record.

thenumber
steve albini likes it

Post by thenumber » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:25 pm

you could use the pawn shop method, and bump up your "normal" rates a bit, then cut a deal. but then youd be a bastard

im still building my rep, and while i make more on each new project, im still not charging what i deserve for the work i do. but hey, everyone starts out somewhere. i dunno where you are in yr 'career,' but where im at, spreading a positive word and reputation is more valuable then dollars - though the dollars do not get forgotten :wink:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:16 pm

I've done a few things for slightly less than my standard rate. That usually isn't a problem, and is usually for repeat customers. I have also done a couple of "super special deals" for friends and they usually bite me in the ass! The "super special" has been officially stopped and will never return.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:12 am

FNM wrote:I'd say if they were a good band that would be worthwhile to work with, then you should cut them a deal because it could benefit you and possibly get your name out in the future.

But that's just me.
Yeah, i'd agree with this, if you like the group musically and personally then you're not going to have a shitty time and they may be part of a scene or whatever, so you may get your name passed around, which'll obviously lead to more work. I wouldn't do it if you're going to resent the time spent for little money as this'll show and they may well discuss your moodiness instead of your skills with their peers.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:40 am

When I work with a client who is on a "budget" I offer to find a way to get the project to fit or be near their budget.

If a band says they want to do a 10 song record for $200, I offer to record it live, straight to 2-track. If they want to do five songs for $400, I offer to track everything live to multitrack, overdub vocals and maybe guitar solos and do quick mixes (which would have been roughs on a bigger-budget project, and to be honest, I usually think the roughs sound really good and find myself chasing them sometimes). I don't offer a cheaper rate. I still need to pay my bills and my studio partner/owner needs to get paid. If I cut a deal, I'll be cutting MY percentage of the fee, not my partner's, so that really sucks.

That said, I often end up doing work off the clock to make the project better, but I really need to stop doing that.... then again, I hate to let bad sounding projects out of the studio with my name on them.

Over the years, I have done "spec deals" where I will work a session and get paid if/when the artists gets signed. That, in my case, hasn't worked out, so I vowed to not take a spec session UNLESS I have nothing better (paying) to do at the time. I wouldn't cancel or postpone a payed gig for one. I have also done sessions for up and coming artists who I personally believed in, loved their music and enjoyed working with. I worked for almost nothing in hopes of getting them off to the next level That's a tough on as well. I'm not sure that you will often find this situation to work out like you wish it would.

You have to weigh the money to enjoyment/pride ratio. If at the end of the day, you will be proud of the project and you will at least be able to play the project to prospective new clients and impress them, then it's worth taking a cut. If you're going to hate it and you're going to be miserable, then it's probably not worth it. Even at full price.

Roger
Last edited by Rodgre on Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:58 am

I have a "Friends & Family" rate that I use for thoe who fall into the "Friends & Family" category. I don't believe in lowering prices. Once you lower the price for one band and the word gets out, it get's tricky when other bands expect the same treatment.

For bands that I know the reputation of, I cut them a deal that actually pays me more in the long run...MUCH more I offer to record them for a small down payment of $300-500. This allows the band to use their funds in other areas such as better graphics, larger CD runs, promotion of the new recording, and they can focus on making a better recording rather than watching the clock. After the CDs are made, I get $2 for each one they sell. Some bands I have done this for have sold over 500 CDs within the first two months, and 1000 over the rest of the year. As they reorder new batches of CDs, I get paid for those as well. This is called residual income. Keep in mind that I only offer this opportunity to the bands that I know have a good reputation and fan base.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:29 am

Not owning a studio of my own, I'm rarely in a position to cut much of a deal. Every once in a blue moon, if it's something I REALLY want to do, I might be able to cash in a favor with a studio owner, but I can't get into the habit of doing that. So, I have to be REALLY selective about it.

Here's a couple of things I can tell you about doing it:

One, do it if the band knows LOTS of other bands or gets good press in your area. Word of mouth is still really the best advertising you can get. If the band does okay and people hear the record or they run around telling everyone what a good time they had with you, it will pay off. And make SURE that you get credited where people will see it. But remember, it hasn't payed off unless you get more than one new project out of doing it.

Two, along those lines, tell them not to tell anyone you cut them a deal. That way they realize that you are doing them a special favor and they feel appreciated. Most people for whom I've worked are completely cool with that.

Three, work out a reduced hourly (or at least daily) rate instead of doing the project for a flat rate. This way, you won't get rolled over if the band starts getting nitpicky. If they want more time, they can pay for it, albeit at a reduced rate.

Hope this helps.

Chria Garges
Charlotte, NC

balletproof
alignin' 24-trk

Post by balletproof » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:59 am

However sometimes i get a band that says well were kinda on a budget can you cut a a deal.
Sometimes? Only sometimes? You lucky dog. Just kidding.

When I give people deals there are some of the above mentioned stipulations (referals, keeping quiet about the rate) plus the condition that they come in to work on dead days, and can be bumped by a full rate client.

www.monkeyboystudios.net