i just friggin' scored!!!!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
J.B.Horns
pushin' record

i just friggin' scored!!!!

Post by J.B.Horns » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:08 pm

I was at the old musical go around a little earlier, and I saw a beyer mic for 19 bucks. I said "hey, what's the model number on that Beyer mic?" the kid was like "huh???? ...what mic?" I said "that one right there with the silver top." he pulled it out and low and behold, it was an m500. I said, "I'll go ahead and get that right now."

As the kid was ringing me up, I asked him if he knew why he was selling me a 300 dollar mic for 20 bucks? He looked up m500s on ebay and was like "Hey dude," to the kid he was working with "check this out." He saw that they had been going for 300 bucks. The other kid says, "yeah, that's like that big shure mic we got." I say, "what about it?" he pulls out a Shure 330 from under the counter, and it's marked at $79. "I'll take it." I said. "naw, I gotta do sumore research awn it." "no way man, it says 80 bucks, I'll give you 80 bucks for it." "Naw, I gotta do sumore research awn it." I pleaded with manager, but no dice. Oh well, at least I got the Beyer.

My first big score was a d112 for 79.00. it was my first "pro" mic. The only other notable find from there was a rhodes amp that i got for $100 to go with my suitcase top, which I got at the goodwill a few years before.

anybody else have any awesome bargains to speak of?
Last edited by J.B.Horns on Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Re: i just friggin' scored!!!!

Post by FNM » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:33 pm

You gotta keep your mouth shut when your scoring deals like that.

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:36 pm

why, are you jealous?

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Post by theposterkid » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:40 pm

i would be jealous... if I had $19

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:41 pm

no... becuase you could've had BOTH mic's.

i thought that was pretty obvious. but then....i wasn't there.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:50 pm

J.,

Congrats on your find but next time keep quiet until you're out of there. If suckers are selling their shit for undervalue, that's their problem. TAKE ADVANTAGE! You should've acted like all those mics were crap and pretended to know nothing.

Anyway, I'm totally jealous. I've never found jack shit at flea marekets, thrift stores, etc. Where was this again?
Last edited by Family Hoof on Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:50 pm

norton wrote:no... becuase you could've had BOTH mic's.

i thought that was pretty obvious. but then....i wasn't there.

how was that pretty obvious? none of the three employees, including the manager would sell it to me. Am I supposed to start crying? or maybe i could have called my daddy to come down. I'm not going to raise a stink because I could only get one ridiculous deal out of them. I tried to reason with them, but they wouldn't go for it. big deal.

I'm just stoked to have my first ribbon mic. i had to take my dog to the pound today. can I just enjoy this moment?

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:56 pm

Family Hoof wrote:J.,

Congrats on your find but next time keep quiet until you're out of there. If suckers are selling their shit for undervalue, that's their problem. TAKE ADVANTAGE! You should've acted like all those mics were crap and pretended to know nothing.

Anyway, I'm totally jealous. I've been given free gear that was awsome without the owner's knowing it but never found jack shit at flea marekets, thrift stores, etc. Where was this again?
I hear you.

I'm actually on pretty friendly terms with those guys. I go in there a lot, I know their system, and they know that I know. They look it up, see what it's going for, and buy it for half of that. Since they got hooked up to ebay, they usually price their stuff at what it goes for. I'm not likely to get a deal like that again, since they're usually pretty right on with their prices. I just feel bad for the kid who sold the beyer to them for 10 bucks, and the kid who only got 40 for his shure 330.

j.

mcfl0nuz
gettin' sounds

Post by mcfl0nuz » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:07 pm

i just got pretty screwed myself...someone was letting go a moogerfooger phaser on ebay for $200 (brand new goes for $300) i was gonna wait til i got home to bid on it (there was 6 hours lefT) NOONE bidded on it so it was a sure deal...when I got home the guy ended the auction early and started another one...now starting at $219 and its up for another 5 days

what a smuck...but im the asshole for not bidding on it at work :(

:roll:

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:14 pm

MAN, why can I never find deals like this?!?!?!!?!

where are some good places to look???

so far i've learned flea markets and goodwill.......

ive looked in pawn shops , but they seem to know what things go for , and they usually jack up the price after that anyways.....

so ya if ya'll can give me some good places to look that would be very helpful....

thanx

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:24 pm

I hear grand junction colorado and portland oregon are hot spots. I've lucked out at used music stores and goodwill (Here in Utah it's called Deseret Industries. They used to have a silent bid system, and you could get deals that way, but now they feel it's unfair to do that, so they just look stuff up on ebay, and price it at that.) I've heard stories about pawn shops, but I've never scored at one.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:32 pm

reminds me of this clown who runs a used instrument etc shop in my hometown. anytime he notices there is something i am interested in, (like an old mxr phase pedal etc) he says it isn't for sale. he does that on purpose to get people's goat sort fo speak.

for the past year or so i've been trying to convince him to sell me an rca 77 [dx?] mic he has on display. he won't budge though. its got a dent and the ribbon might need to be replaced, but i want it!
SOMEDAY......!!!!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:44 pm

i think with the advent of ebay, if you find anything ANYWHERE you're lucky. you just don't find scores like you used to.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:30 pm

Yeah, Ebay kinda ended the pawn shop scores in most states.

Beyer 500's have always been the notorious scores, because the old black and silver ones look like the cheesiest of handheld vocal mics. Even a 58 would be more money than a 500 when you find it at a pawn shop usually, because the 58 is recognized, and the 500 is just some "weird" 58 spinoff looking microphone.

The fact that a bad ass ribbon is lurking inside that cheese'd out body was a secret.

Now anything that looks "old" automatically gets marked up to the ceiling. especially if it has tubes in it....

Estate sales may be the final frontier. I know someone who does liquidations of garages, and attics, and basements, and I always hope she finds a matched pair of 67's or something in an old guys attic....

So far we got an old gibson combo amp from the early 40's, and a silvertone combo.

Cool, but no neumann's or anything.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:40 pm

The local used music store in my town now has a full-time DSL hook-up so they can go right to harmonycentral and Ebay and check prices...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.