The Clash

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

The Clash

Post by jtotheg » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:53 am

Been a while since I posted anything here, but I am up late listening to records & it occurred to me...

That The Clash is one of the greatest F'ing bands ever.

I have been listening to the Magnificent Seven 12" over & over & over.... Ok, yes, along with Rock the Casbah as well...

It is my understanding that The Clash was the studio band that did the soundtrack to the old-school Hip Hop movie "Wild Style".

Wow, these guys were the shit.

The (instrumental) Music to WildStyle is incredibe & recorded so analog'ish...

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Re: The Clash

Post by mrdazobee » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:16 am

which wildstyle lp do you have?There is one with all the raps on but I have this raw as anything instrumental version which is awesome.I think the DJ's on the film used 2 copies of it to cut up for the rappers.To my understanding it was one of the guy's out of Blondie that did the backing music,but the only credit on the lp is B.Steel.I know the clash did a track with Futura 2000 called "the escapades rap"which is worth checking out.............

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:35 am

Funny I was just listening to that myself and thinking the same thing.

BigCats
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by BigCats » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:34 am

All right, this probably isn't going to be real popular - but . . .

Rock the Casbah!?!? Man, you knew punk was dead and rotting in it's grave when the Clash started releasing novelty records. Really, does it get much more predictable or sophmoric than "Sharif . . . thinks it's not kosher"?

The Clash released one great record (The Clash) - get it, it's a great testimony to why energy and commitment are more important than all the chops or recording technique in the world. One of the most wonderful, crappy sounding records I own.

To go from there to lifeless, over-produced studio "hits" like Hitsville or Should I Stay was a crying shame. The whole "we recorded this in Jamaica with actual black people" thing also bugged the crap out of me.

Garageland has that great line "Back in the garage with my bullshit detector" - they should have stayed there.

I think if you listen to the early stuff, you'll see.

K

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:58 am

Ohh Come On London Calling, Give Em' enough Rope, OR My Favorite Black Market Clash..... I'm not gona chime in on That.

Here is what strikes me about any technacal issue.. Get an Early London Calling CD. It strikes me as the WORST sounding reissue I know of. It came out almost as quick as C.D itself and the first attempt was a prime example of early poor atempts to get the C.D. reissue think going.

BTW Reissues are and will be bigger than any New Catalog that will be developed. That's Part of what is wrong woith the record industry.

Steve

www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:18 am

Is it just me or are they sometimes singing "Fuck the Casbah" in the chorus? Great great band as everyone (well almost everyone) knows.

d-bolan
gettin' sounds

Post by d-bolan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:25 am

no one should really mess with the clash, but i guess sometimes it's hard to hear greatness over the negative voices in our heads. We're all entitled to our own opinions though, luckily
call me rabbit fighter

BigCats
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by BigCats » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:38 am

Couldn't agree more on the CD re-issues - I not even real fond of the "re-mastered" CD but then I've got original vinyl and it's sublime. It's a wonderful record that valued passion over technique and amen to that!

And don't get me wrong, I've got the other three records (Rope, London, Market) and they're good (the opening to Safe European Home still kills) but they lost the sloppy grace that made them great in the first place. And from Sandistas on, well . . .

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:13 am

The Clash

That's the one. One of the greatest records to ever come out. Ever. Period.

People say London Calling. The Clash, that first one. That's the one I always have to say.

I pretty much like everything they've done. But that first one. Nothing like it.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:20 am

Has anyone heard the live record that came out a few yers back? It's in the top of my CD pile at the club where I do sound. I never really listen to it at home. it doesn't come across on my shit stereo but there's something about hearing that record coming out of a PA. It's huge. Topper and Paul were the baddest rythm section ever. The band was stunning, really beyond beleif.
There's nothing better than throwing that disc on after a lame-o rock band finishes a crappy set. It's my way of saying "You sucked so bad! Here's how it should be done".

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:49 am

Black Market Clash is currently my favorite, probably because I haven't played it as much.

London Calling is amazing; I bought two copies of the remaster to have one at work; the first CD release was definitely bad.

The first record is garage-band rock. And the Bobby Fuller cover sets some kind of standard...

Rope has good material; I hate Pearlman's production.

Sandanista, while boated, is pretty unique, and with The Ruts served as my introduction to dub, which is a good thing.

The "Casbah" record is relatively commercial, too be sure, but how cool is it to have Allen Ginsburg, et al., and the "Casbah" song is again timely - I see it less as a gimmick and more as a political commentary gone pop. Funny video, I recall, with the armadillo (which I think is native to Texas.)

The live record is pretty good, and amazing sound quality considering.

I have a limited edition vinyl EP with Joe Ely fronting the Clash; I gotta dig that out now...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:59 am

BigCats wrote:All right, this probably isn't going to be real popular - but . . .

Rock the Casbah!?!? Man, you knew punk was dead and rotting in it's grave when the Clash started releasing novelty records. Really, does it get much more predictable or sophmoric than "Sharif . . . thinks it's not kosher"?

The Clash released one great record (The Clash) - get it, it's a great testimony to why energy and commitment are more important than all the chops or recording technique in the world. One of the most wonderful, crappy sounding records I own.

To go from there to lifeless, over-produced studio "hits" like Hitsville or Should I Stay was a crying shame. The whole "we recorded this in Jamaica with actual black people" thing also bugged the crap out of me.

Garageland has that great line "Back in the garage with my bullshit detector" - they should have stayed there.

I think if you listen to the early stuff, you'll see.

K
No disrespect on your opinion, but I diagree. Yes the first and second records were f-ing awesome. I wore out two vinyl copies of "The Clash" before I bought it on CD. But the Clash went through many evolutions, and Rock the Casbah is not supposed to sound like the first record. It totally stands on its own for what it is.

As for chops, if you don't think the Clash had the chops, I suggested that you listen again.

ps - Ok, "Cut the Crap" should never have been made. I agree with that. :wink:
don gochenour

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:30 am

Rock the Casbah has been made into a novelty by millions of dudes and party girls who cant understand the politicized irreverance. please do not blame this on The Clash and misunderstand the song yourself.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:09 pm

"Straight To Hell" off of Combat Rock also still sends up shivers up my spine when I hear it. I remember watching them on SNL do that one and "Should I Stay of Should I Go" with Strummer sporting a fresh Taxi Driver mohawk after having just returned from "disappearing" for a few weeks when I was still stuck in suburban hell and thinking that they were simply too cool for words.

"Radio Clash" was a "novelty" record too, but it will still get me out on the dance floor every time. Sandanista's probably one record too long - but it's still an amazing tour de force.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:12 pm

Ohh Come On London Calling, Give Em' enough Rope, OR My Favorite Black Market Clash..... I'm not gona chime in on That.
Right on. All of the first 4 releases are well worth all the praise they bask in. The production lacks on many of the first two albums tracks, but the f'n songs and performances are there.

The Clash were a huge part of my life between '78-'80. I saw them many times in NYC and have a major bias -- their shows were so f'n good back then that the albums are just a given for greatness, warts and all.