Remo Fiberskyn

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dynomike
carpal tunnel

Remo Fiberskyn

Post by dynomike » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:21 am

I just tried out a new brass snare at the local music shop that the manager had put together.. it had a fiberskyn drumhead on it. It had really great depth with fairly focused overtones. I immediately bought one of the heads and having a/b'd it with my fairly new aquarian classic coated, I have to say I really kills on snare.

I've been putting off trying these for some time just because I think they look stupid. Anyone else using these? Toms, kick? I'd encourage anyone to try them out.

Mike

JASIII
george martin

Re: Remo Fiberskyn

Post by JASIII » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:36 am

I agree that they kickass. Only heard them on snares. It's a nice, different sound than a coated Ambassador or something like that. A little darker I thought.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:44 am

I've bought a few over the years, but probably won't again. I prefer coated Emperors for a darker "warmer" sound.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:55 am

I used to use these on toms. if you want to hear a live recording of them, check this out.

http://www.kenadessa.com/sounds.php

the sound samples at the BOTTOM of the page under Suva...everything you hear is fiberskyns except for the hand drums. all toms are fiber's. the first tune and Garden are good indicators.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:59 am

I'd love to hear it.. but my 26.4 dial up internet won't allow me to. Perhaps an overnight download? haha... i'm not kidding.

Mike

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:07 am

My drummer uses one as the outer head on his kick (with no hole). It sounds fantastic. Extremely round and full of tone. Not exactly a rock and roll kick drum sound, but it definately records well.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:14 pm

yeah i love 'em. definitely more jazz than rock and roll i suppose, but you can tune them high and they seem to still maintain a nice solid thump. i had one on the batter side of my kick for ages (with a solid front head) and loved the tone and feel of it. unfortunately it just got too beat up and i couldn't find another one when i needed it, so i switched to a powerstroke 3, which is alright but just sounds so "plastic" in comparison....

umbrellajones
audio school graduate

Post by umbrellajones » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:11 pm

I love the fiberskyns. I play for a lot of acoustic rockers and you can't beat the tone. They last for a long time too. as far as "rock" toms go they don't really cut it, but with a slap pad they work great on the kick.

Peace
Shaun

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:06 am

I have them on all my toms. Really want to try the Fibreskin/powerstroke kick head, but nobody seems to stock it. I hate ordering stuff.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:21 pm

Love 'em love 'em love 'em! I used them on snares for years until I got into the Renaissance heads. I still have a few snare drums that sound better with the Fiberskyns. I love the Fiberskyn Diplomats on old Gretsch toms, too. And they really sound great on the front of a bass drum.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:52 pm

The Fiberskyns are very groovy. I've used the heaviest ones on Toms for a cool rock sound. I like they low mid whoomp of them.

vatoben
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vatoben » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:40 pm

i've tried them on just about everything and they're cool but hard to control. what really blew me away was the remo renaissance heads. they're deep and warm like fiberskyns but tunable like emperors. on an 18" kick drum the renaissance powerstroke 3 is the end of the discussion.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:59 pm

maybe i got a bum one, but the one time i tried it, it started to really stretch in the sweet spot after a couple weeks, only. sounded awful after that. never bought another one

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:12 pm

Love 'em. They are so much better than coated heads with brushes, no more flaking. You also get a better "swish" than with coated heads, even new ones.