d112 died?!! looking for info

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Substrated
audio school graduate

d112 died?!! looking for info

Post by Substrated » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:02 pm

After a year and a half. Not abused, dropped. No output. Really bummed. Has anyone else had this happen? Can it be fixed or am I on the way to that evil place called GC to get a new one? thanks!

Al
moves faders with mind

Re: d112 died?!! looking for info

Post by Al » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:23 pm

Substrated wrote:After a year and a half. Not abused, dropped. No output. Really bummed. Has anyone else had this happen? Can it be fixed or am I on the way to that evil place called GC to get a new one? thanks!
Have you opened it up to make sure it's not just a loose wire?...there pretty robust, it could maybe be a couple of things, i would check to see if it was anything obvious first..good luck

Al

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:25 pm

did you get it new or used? under warranty at all? sounds like a workmanship defect..

Substrated
audio school graduate

Post by Substrated » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:03 pm

Got it new, I took it apart and the solder connects are fine. hmm i always thought of this thing as being bulletproof. Warranty is for a year blad nabit

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:41 pm

You can send it to AKG out of warenty and they'll go so far as the replacing the entire capsule assembly without it costing as much as a new one would. i forget exactly how much. Took about a week and a half. maybe two.

Substrated
audio school graduate

Post by Substrated » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:56 pm

Thanks hoof. I see an address in nashville fo them but it doesn't state if it's a service center. does that ring a bell?

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:18 pm

i think it rings a bell. I'll try to get back to you with the details in a day or two.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:46 am

We're a AKG dealer, they are a pretty good company to deal with. The front of our price list says "All AKG products returned for credit, service or warranty repair must be shipped pre-paid to: AKG Acoustics, 914 Airpark Center Drive, Nashville, TN 37217"

I'm surprised yours died like that.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Substrated
audio school graduate

Post by Substrated » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:33 am

Thanks JasIII!

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:34 pm

I've sent in many akg's for repair. Just send them to that nashville address to "attn: repairs". You'll get a call back from them with the verdict in a few days. You can pay them by card over the phone and they'll send your mic back to you. No need for a return authorization or anything. I forget the ladies name that I always speak to, but she's/they're great. Pretty cheap and fast work.
Just be sure to include your return address in the box with the mic and ship it insured either fedex grnd or UPS or Priority if USPS.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher