nearfield : genelec v. adam

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wavesandwires
audio school

nearfield : genelec v. adam

Post by wavesandwires » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:29 pm

does anyone have anything to say about the genelec 1029a or the adam anf-10 nearfield monitors?

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Re: nearfield : genelec v. adam

Post by tubemonkey35 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:47 pm

I have the 1029's with the sub. and they are wonderful sounding, however don't use them to mix on anymore. I get way better mixes on my NS10's The 1029's fake me out and make everything sound good. The stuff I have mixed on NS10's sounds even better on the 1029's. The mixes done 1029's come out like crap when listend back on other systems.

I heard the ADAM monitors at the last NAMM show and they have potential.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:38 pm

i don't know if your considering any other models, but the new Event ASP8's are awesome!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid ... _id/110226

I was A/Bing them with Mackie HR824's and the Mackies sounded super hyped in the highs & lows compared to the Events. The DynAudio BM15's (active & passive) also rock. \m/

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:42 pm

also a 1029 user with a sub.

i like em ok. they sure are small. sure are small. i have the treble cut engaged, and the sub i have positioned in a way that only in one seat (my seat) is the bass response anywhere near accurate. i can get decent mixes done. it might just be my room, but i find that they are a bit strange in the mids. some honk.

if you can get a good price on them, and size and portability are big issues with you, i would say go for them.

otherwise, i have never been too crazy about them.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:42 pm

I can only speak for 1031, S3-A, and mid field Genelec and Adam. The Genelecs sound great and I can get used to them quick and do a good mix, but this mix might not translate and may need more help from the mastering engineer. the ADAMs on the other hand might freak you out the firs time you use htem becuase they don't sound "good", just brutally honest. They'll make you work a lot harder to get it sounding the way it did on the genelecs, all sweetened and such, and you'll have a better, more translatable mix because of it. I have no idea how this applies to the smaller models, however.

I remember reading something in a George Massenburg interview where he talks about a few different monitors he likes to mix on and says "What sweetens one monitor will not sweeten another" or something like that, meaning none of the monitors he uses are flat and he nevers ends up with something that translates before mastering. Isn't this counterintuitive to the whole monitoring process? ADAM seems to think so and I agree.