Q: "Pretty Mary K" guitar effect?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lysander
pushin' record

Q: "Pretty Mary K" guitar effect?

Post by lysander » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:09 pm

My first post after many months as a lurker -- could anyone help me out identifying how they got that guitar sound on Pretty Mary K, on Elliott Smith's Figure 8 album? It sounds to me like a rotary or leslie effect of some sort, but I can't exactly place it. Beautiful sound, though.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: Q: "Pretty Mary K" guitar effect?

Post by dynomike » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:58 pm

Funny... I usually skip that song to get to "Can't Make a Sound". When the electric guitars and drums come in, oh man. The slide and fingerpicked electrics sound phenomenal. Actually everything does. Great sounding album.

I'll take a listen to Pretty Mary K next time and let you know.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:20 pm

It sounds like a Leslie, although my guitarist can get a sound really similar to that with his Mutron phaser.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:32 am

Thanks for the suggestions -- there's an organ at parts of the song, so there would have been a leslie around for them to use. But it does have a certain phasey quality to it, too. The trouble is, he's such a good player that it can be hard tell when he's double-tracking or not -- I've listened hard to the bass part on "Baby Britain," for example, and sometimes I think that he's double-tracked that part to make it sound as fat as it does.

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:52 am

on a similar note, what about the end of everybody cares, everybody understands on XO. what is it that kicks in at 2:47 and continues to the end of the song? that sounds awesome.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:02 am

Now THAT is a trippy sound! I'll guess guitar, distortion, wah for the eq (or an onboard parametric that's getting swept), and then something that's doing that manual/random register-shifting. It reminds of some of the sounds that Robert Fripp and Larry Fast used to get with Peter Gabriel.