Binaural Stapes?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Madness
gimme a little kick & snare

Binaural Stapes?

Post by Madness » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:45 am

Yesterday, I was rehearsing with a band and our local symphony for a 4th of July thing. While we were waiting for one of the singers to show up, the symphony ran through "God Bless America", so as not to waste time (imagine keeping 100 people waiting).

So we were more or less stuck within the horseshoe of 100 people playing, and it changed my whole perspective on listening. And it made listening to a fairly common bit of music incredibly gratifying. It would've been great to have strapped a couple of C012 Oktavas to my hat.

To Those guys building the Stapes mic- why don't you go all the way and build headgear to go with a stereo pair!
Phil

sashacasa
ass engineer

Re: Binaural Stapes?

Post by sashacasa » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:45 pm

Madness wrote:To Those guys building the Stapes mic- why don't you go all the way and build headgear to go with a stereo pair!
Phil
ooooh. that would be great for live shows. don't have to worry about spilling your beer.

tyler

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:50 pm

You're assuming that the Stapes folks don't have a binaural in the works? I don't know if there is one planned for production, but I've heard Erik raving enough about the one he built (and hmmm...... promised to build one for me :) He said it's one of the best drum mics he's ever used.

Those folks at Stapes are mad scientists and they do amazing stuff. Worth the wait, and worth the dough, however little it is.

Roger

stapes
takin' a dinner break

Post by stapes » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:30 pm

Ah, yes. The binaural head. Don't worry rog, I haven't forgotten about you. I installed two of the capsules in a styrafoam head, and it worked quite nicely. Out in front of a drum kit yeilds a nice natural sound, and compressed to hell, it sounds very cool. It also sounds really nice putting in front of an ensemble of acoustic instruments. I haven't built anymore just because the styrafoam is not very durable, and I've been trying to find a hookup with some kind of head that is a little sturdier, and some kind of way that I can attach something like ears to give it some directionality. I also built for someone once some clip on mics to hook-up to a minidisc recorder, and I think I've attached some to some frame-less glasses as well. Gotta keep your head front and center at all times, or it won't work. That would be a bummer for the scenester kid.

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:20 am

Eric- You might want to give Taylor Johnson from T.H.E. a call... we were talking about 'binaural heads' the other day and he has a shop that can make them from wood [that's a pretty good shop!!]. We were taling about him building a custom 'head' for me... and being a pretty solid dude, I'll bet he'll build 'um for you too [just a guess... but certainly worth a phone call].