fatten my sound

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: fatten my sound

Post by Rodgre » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:50 pm

cgarges wrote:Roger,

I was joking, somewhat. I'm very well-aware of what compressors do (and limiters, for that matter). My point was more along the lines of, why always a compressor and not better EQ choices or mic placement?
I had a feeling that's what you were getting at, which is why in my reply I leaned toward mic placement and preamps as much if not more than compression, but while I think that a lot of engineers rely WAY too much on compressors to make up for weak tracks, I do have to admit that compression has made huge differences for the better in a lot of my tracking.

I agree though, that mic techniques and preamps, are where to start. I would even try to avoid EQ too. My style would make me grab a compressor to change the tone before I would grab an EQ. I try to avoid EQ if I can, and move the mic around instead.

What? you too? ;)

Everyone has (or they should have) their own way of making their mixes work for them. I'm always trying to find better ways to do what I do.

And I would love to get a Fatso or a Cranesong Trakker!

:)
Roger

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:53 pm

Roger,
Thanks for the response. It's apparent that you do know your stuff.

Me too, you ask?

Actually not. I don't usually grab a compressor (or expander) unless there is a dynamic elemant that I feel would benefit from such. I do hear a difference in the tone of Drawmer gates and Aphex expanders, but I don't go reaching for them as "tone controls." I will sometimes use certain electronics to "color" a signal, but that usually involves bypassing the gain reduction element, as in the case of an 1176, for example. I am also a big fan of frequency-dependent compression (Urei LA-22, ADR Vocal Stressor, BSS units) for getting an instrument to comfortably sit in the mix, but this isn't really what I'm talking about.

When I do plug in a compressor for a certain effect, I never expect it to magically "fatten" the sound of what goes into it, but many people assume it will and that's more of what I'm getting at.

In any case, you're right on with what you said. Thanks!

Chris

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:26 am

I am with soundguy 100 percent,

But I would add:

People call compressors "color" compressors, or "fat" compressors. So funny. When a comp kills the high end, and you blast the make up gain... um same thing as turning down the high end. Fatter i guess.

I, like soundguy work every day on some of the worlds best compressors, and I,too wind up using them to get the overly enormous sounds that are on tape to all squeeze down the floppy garden hose called "consumer playback device."

If you can track something that just makes everyone in the room go "wow, that is huge!!!" then go buy a super duper snazzy compressor that helps you get the feeling of "wow that is huge" onto a playback medium that wont, and cant really supply "huge."

Compressors help me give the illusion of huge at the mix. I dont really use them on key elements as "level control." that is for church installs or boardroom limiters.

The illusion of huge, in my opinion is what many people cant seem to figure out early on, and crank low end on a poorly tracked kick drum, run out of headroom, get frustrated, reach for a comp... al the low that was really unruly gets overly squished with some comp not suited to the job... all of a sudden He is telling me " i dont like compressors." or " I just scoop 700hz out of the kick right away"

It is just funny that giving the illusion of hugeness makes people try to replicate the illusion with reality. It doesnt work. You hear "when the levee breaks" then decide you want the drums to sound like that. There is no low end, and barely any high end in that recording. The way it makes you feel because of Bonhams playing, and the ILLUSION of hugeness makes you crank the bottom on the kick or start freaking out trying to get the snare to crack fith the same fury and heavy feel... but your pals crappy hardcore band is so not giving you the feeling you got from zepplin...

Just random thoughts on the psycology of musical reproduction.

It seemed pertinent when i sarted typing...

At 3:28 am EST.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:42 am

joel, when we doing a session together?

dave

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:43 pm

Bring it on Dave!

I just re-read my post and it still seems pertinent, even at a decent hour...

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:54 pm

Im open here and there 'till around 26 july.

get in touch.

dave