I ordered some HR824s!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

I ordered some HR824s!

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:47 pm

I decided to get these monitors. Got them at $900/pair shipped. Ill let you know how they go when I get them...now I just have to make up the $650 (for my parents) by september!

Dave
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: I ordered some HR824s!

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:01 pm

Too bad!

;-)

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:07 pm

Hey...as long as you learn yr. speakers you're on the way.

Oddly enough I ordered a pair of the Mackies 2 days ago myself. For me this is another pair on the neverending quest for monitoring. Also, I have an engineer that is going to use our studio that swears by them...He'll use them even if I don't.

BTW...I grew up in Latham...went to Shaker...we could probably talk teachers 'n' shit...though that was a good long time ago for me...class of 90.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:08 pm

Congratulations Zep - I think you got a great price for a really nice monitor. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:13 pm

It's not bad at all.

I've listened to a bunch of monitors in the $900 range and the HR824s sound the best to my ears. Not only do they sound more pleasing, I hear way more detail with the Mackies than KRKs, Events, etc., etc...Just learn the flaws of the HR824s and mix around them.

PS Where did you get them for $900 shipped?

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:14 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:Too bad!

;-)

ahh jeffy. One thing I DID learn is that no matter what monitor (or product!) you want, someone will be like 'THAT BLOWS'..I guess you're that person! to my ears, they work better. I have super sensitive ears (maybe thatll change over the years) but the NS-10s hurt me lol

Dave
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:16 pm

lsn110 wrote:
BTW...I grew up in Latham...went to Shaker...we could probably talk teachers 'n' shit...though that was a good long time ago for me...class of 90.
thats wicked cool. really small world isnt it? Im class of 06..gonna be a jr. Email me at DaveDrummerPilot@hotmail.com or PM me we can talk about this..thats sweet

Dave
David L
KC2UUM

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:26 pm

Congrats and enjoy. Listen to everything on them, and be sure to experiment with placement, the switches on the back, and room treatments.

--JES

Lavahead
pushin' record

Post by Lavahead » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:06 am

PT wrote:It's not bad at all.

I've listened to a bunch of monitors in the $900 range and the HR824s sound the best to my ears. Not only do they sound more pleasing, I hear way more detail with the Mackies than KRKs, Events, etc., etc...Just learn the flaws of the HR824s and mix around them.

PS Where did you get them for $900 shipped?
Yes. I have KRK V8's. My partner has the 824's. So I get to hear alot of material on both of those monitors...I can honestly say that I hate my V8's and want Mackie's. But then I come on here and hear shit talking about the Mackie's..just can't ever win.

So when I think about whether or not to keep the V8's I just get a headache.
steely dan sucks, and so do mesh hats

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:57 am

;-)

dude, don't be a boner. The kid is fucking 16 years old. If my parents helped me score a pair of $900 monitors, I would be happy too.
Making kids feel dumb, I hope you are happy.

Dickfor

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:36 pm

I know I criticized them a bit in your other post, but I gotta say, that they will serve you well if you learn them. And at 16, it's the perfect time to learn them! I wish I had monitors that good at 16ish. (I did have access to my local radio station's production room, where I learned EV Sentrys - very very close to the EV MS802s I still use to this day, 20 years later...)

Just be cautious how you set them up (i.e. not too close to walls and especially corners...) and how you set them switeches. I always say, with 'brighter' monitors, if they sound bright, and you can roll off the tweeter with a switch or pot on them, do it...

(Also, many people would quote me that I've said that someday I'm gonna get a pair for use as a killer home stereo... I DO like listening to them, just not so much recording/mixing on them.)

Let us know how you do.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:26 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:

;-)

dude, don't be a boner. The kid is fucking 16 years old. If my parents helped me score a pair of $900 monitors, I would be happy too.
Making kids feel dumb, I hope you are happy.

Dickfor

yeah, my thoughts exactly..probably jealous...

Anyway, I listened to a bunch of different speakers, even NS10s. the 20/20s (Iwas really considering) seemed to have a 'hole' in them if that made sense..the sound just wasnt as full..the NS10s hurt my ears...enough said. All in all I think I will really like these, they blew me away in the store. hope they work well here at home. Eventually I might get a seocnd pair or something..probably NS10s..because the attitude is liek (these sound like shit, but they mix classic material)

Dave
David L
KC2UUM

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:38 pm

congrats! i think you'll like em. just listen to alot of good sounding records on them and figure out what they do in your room. my room is fairly large, so there isn't too much bass. also, i had to roll off the tops, becuase my mixes were sounding too dark at the mastering house. roll down the tops 2db... perfect.

i agree about the 20/20s... i can't hear anything on those... sound foggy and hollow to me. i did one record on those and was just hoping the whole time that it would turn out ok on other speakers....

congrats.

i wonder if there is an age related preference for different monitors. i feel like people who have beeen in the business for a good ammount of time are used to listening to 'classic' monitors, and so that is their concept of what a monitor should be like, whereas the younger people and new engineers are maybe more used to listening to music on bright and bassy speakers than people used to... i mean, in the 70's and 80's, NS10's were a good representation of what a typical home stereo sounded like, but these days, it's very different.... stereos for the last 10-15 years have been bright and bassy huge boom boxes designed to make hiphop tracks sound more 'banging'...

just a thought. personally i'm kinda in the middle. my dad's stereo growing up was a nice klipsh dealy, so it was natural... neither boxy or super hyped...

so i think it's a natural thing for me to like the mackies, becuase when they're set appropriately in the right room, i feel that they have a very middle of the road quality which is very familiar to my ears from my childhood.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:42 pm

toaster3000 wrote:
i wonder if there is an age related preference for different monitors. i feel like people who have beeen in the business for a good ammount of time are used to listening to 'classic' monitors, and so that is their concept of what a monitor should be like, whereas the younger people and new engineers are maybe more used to listening to music on bright and bassy speakers than people used to... i mean, in the 70's and 80's, NS10's were a good representation of what a typical home stereo sounded like, but these days, it's very different....
absolutely. and today, with the price of home recording coming down, more and more competition is happening. when you go into a monitor speaker room its rediculous all the choices you have now. Im sure back in the day there were much less choices, the NS10 just so happened to be the 'standard'. nothing wrong with that, its a good reason to like the speaker. But when it hurts your ears thats not good. Plus, I dont want to fiddle around with all sorts of preamps and stuff. Sure, its easy, but its another thing I have to worry about and do extensive research and everything...plus the low end on the NS-10s suck, EVERYONE knows that...and i would need a sub, which I couldnt afford.

Dave
David L
KC2UUM

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:49 pm

for the record (and to back up my age related thing in previous post) i'm 23.

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/