Huge, incredible sounding records.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Huge, incredible sounding records.

Post by soundguy » Thu May 08, 2003 7:22 pm

Has anyone heard Buddy Guy "Sweet Tea"?

I keep forgetting how good this record sounds. The first time I heard it, this dude played it for me and I said "holy, this is the carziest sounding thing I have heard in a while" and the dude looked at me and said, "yeah, thats what I said when I first heard it". I think everyone I have played this record for has more or less said "whoah, craziest sounding thing I have heard in a while". Its an interesting phenomena.

For those that continually make excuses for the rolling stones being old, buddy guy is easily older and this record kicks such ass is just plain wrong. If I can rock one quarter what this guy did when Im like 60, Ill be PLENTY happy.

The record is really brilliant, it sounds disgusting and the performances are really off the hook.

any other records like this that we should be talking about? Is the world over Sheryl Crow enough now to listen to the second record that Tchad Blake did? That record sounds *unbelievable*. damn.

Buddy Guy "sweet tea"
Sheryl Crow

two records to reference next time you want to hear something that is HUGE.

dave

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: Huge, incredible sounding records.

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu May 08, 2003 8:04 pm

'sweet tea' is filthy!

i had the same response as you. i don't think there's a mic within a couple feet of anything on that record...

i didn't even know tchad blake did a sheryl crow record :shock: but all the soul coughing stuff he did is pretty huge sounding IMO. especially the last one, el oso. compressed as hell, but it's totally appropriate for them.

you have to crank it, but the last shellac record is really huge sounding to me. and on a related note, i just got a cd by this band Zu, recorded by mr albini at electrical, and i have to say it might be the best sounding record i've ever heard. totally open and clear, the drums are sooooo present and have so much attack...just a pleasure to listen to.

cheers,
-scott

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Thu May 08, 2003 9:27 pm

You know, I've been listening to Hot by Squirrel Nut Zippers and really diggin on the sound. Don't know if it qualifies as huge, but it's definitely got a very "open" sound.

I remember reading an article about this album a few years ago where they said they used something like 3 or 4 mics for the whole band. I think it might have been one on the drums, one on bass, one for vox, and one for the rest of the instruments. They'd balance the mix by moving closer or further away from the mic. I think it's a great recording.

-mark

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu May 08, 2003 9:37 pm

shellac "at action park" is another great example of how good a rock band can sound. I need to give that space shuttle record a second chance.

Tchad Blake is one of many many engineers on the record, but he mixed all of it. Its the self titled second record, Sheryl Crow, the front cover is a black and white picture that is so stepping all over anton corbijn, they could have called it, anton corbijn was booked so we hired someone to rip him off. I digress. That record is on my top ten list, amazing amazing amazing record. If you are into Tchad Blake, I think that record is by far the best thing he's done.

dave

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by brakeshop » Thu May 08, 2003 10:21 pm

I don't know if this is the same "huge sound" that you are talking about, but I've been listening to George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, and songs like art of dying and wah wah are just amazingly noisey and convoluted and sound amazingly huge. Of course Phil Spector is producing so...

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Fri May 09, 2003 12:38 am

Yes Shellac's Action Park is fantastic.Most of Steve Albini's stuff is pretty darn good i reckon.At least it actually sounds like a band performing.Generally it's not crushed at the mastering stage either.I'm a big fan of the first two Desert Sessions vinyl 10"s.Kind of a garage band sound,not a perfect recording at all, but generally i hate overproduced stuff anyway.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Fri May 09, 2003 12:46 am

<i>Pet Sounds</i>, easily. <i>The Glow, Pt. 2</i> is and Mirah's <i>Cold Cold Water</i> too, because of Phil Elvrum of course. Olivia Tremor Control in general have a too-big-for-their-4-track sort of sound.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri May 09, 2003 1:26 am

I think that HIS NAME IS ALIVE (Warren Defever) (4ad) got some pretty big sounds out of a 4trk to jump on that last 4trk thing.

Thanks for the telepathy Warren. If your out there check out this website :

www.realultimatepower.net

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Fri May 09, 2003 7:58 am

i agree with gthe george harrison record, wah wah is one of my faves. i have been digging the polyphonic spree cd. 23 people making noise with nice sonic clarity. i was listening to catherine wheel's chrome record that has some real big guitar sounds.
its on like donkey kong!!!!

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Fri May 09, 2003 7:58 am

Tchad Blake is one of many many engineers on the record, but he mixed all of it. Its the self titled second record, Sheryl Crow.
dave

Dave,
I couldn't agree more. That album is amazing and Tchad took her songs to a new level. The whole album is solid, unlike her later work IMO.
Kyle

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Fri May 09, 2003 8:22 am

Has anyone heard "Clayton Park" by Thrush Hermit? They were a 90s Halifax indie pop band that went somewhat Black Sabbath for this album. It sounds like a huge room with one mic per instrument.

I'm also gonna agree about the Microphones.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Fri May 09, 2003 9:48 am

ZZ TOP Rhythmeen is a killer record done with a minimum of overdubs
and just humongous....

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Fri May 09, 2003 9:50 am

The first Black Sabbath record was done on a pair of 4-tracks at Regent Sound in '69, and it sounds pretty fat to me. And I like the fact that the drums sound like drums, not like cannons going off in your face.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri May 09, 2003 10:00 am

'Who's Next' is the best performance I've ever heard captured. The band vibe on that disc is bar none, the greatest. Sonically, Glyn Johns is a master. Classic band production. The Gold Remaster on MCA is worth the purchase. In that era- so much of the sound of those discs was the console and 16-track 2" analog tape. Now, we get Pro Tools and plugins. Will this music sound dated in 20 years?

d franko
pluggin' in mics

Post by d franko » Fri May 09, 2003 10:29 am

Hum's - You'd Prefer and astronaut is one of my favorite sounding records. Also, the American Football stuff sounds amazing and open too.