newbie looking for pointers...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
HoneyBear
audio school graduate

newbie looking for pointers...

Post by HoneyBear » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:54 pm

I've been working as an assistant engineer for almost two years and am looking for anyway to grow my knowledge. What resources are out there to learn without doing? I have access to some nice gear and use it every chance I get but really want to have a larger knowledge base to draw from.

Also - I have some interested in building my own equipment for fun (at first). I have some knowledge electrical wiring but am looking for a book to really learn how different parts (transformer, resistor etc.) apply to audio.

Thanks for the help!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: newbie looking for pointers...

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:02 pm

Learn without doing?
Read everything you can get your hands on. Every recording magazine (get the imports, too) and hit flea markets for back issues.
A lot of magazines have back issue articles on their websites.
Google is your friend, too.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:17 pm

go to page 356 or whatever of threads on this board an read every single one. seriously. there is a sick amount of knowledge being shared here. i can't tell you how much i've learned from reading this board, and of course the mag too. when i first found tapeop, i didn't even know what a ribbon mic was...

ayan
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:48 pm

HoneyBear wrote:I have some knowledge electrical wiring but am looking for a book to really learn how different parts (transformer, resistor etc.) apply to audio.quote]
Radio shack always has a good amount of books on hand on any number of topics from basic audio wiring to electrical schematics, and intro to capacitors, resistors and potentiometors was one I think I saw one time. These go for anywhere between $1.99 clearance and $49.99 huge college textbook (yet cost far less) size bibles on everything electronics. Usually on the bottom shelves of the electronics section. If you cant find them ask, sometime they have them behind the counter or near where-ever they have the project-kits (which would also be a good place to start).
hope that is of some help

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:56 pm

Start engineering some projects on your own that you bring in. Fucking up somebody elses project will bring you tremendous perspective on your own skill. Containing and running a session on a timely schedule and budget is fulfilling too. The more you do it, the less you'll fuck-up in the future and the better you'll get as an engineer. Just get over the fact that somebody's project is grist for your 'learning mill'. That's the way it has to be.

alignin' 24-trk

Post by 01100011 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:32 pm

ion records wrote:go to page 356 or whatever of threads on this board an read every single one. seriously. there is a sick amount of knowledge being shared here.
seems anywhere i go, audio folk are seemingly fond of talking their 'talk' and for once it's actually a good thing here. i agree it's been helpful.