Steve Albini - just watched the vid. WTF??

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
kcrusher
tinnitus

Steve Albini - just watched the vid. WTF??

Post by kcrusher » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:58 pm

This is what he says in the video:

"i don't use digital recording, but not because i'm opposed to it. i don't use digital recording because it's inappropriate for the work that i do. i do permanent recording of records that are intended to last forever. they are the history of the band that i'm working with at the moment and it is vitally important to them. i owe it to them to have that record be available to them, at very least to them and, hopefully to the rest of the world, forever. the only realistic way to do that is by recording to analog tape. "

Am I missing something here? Is he REALLY implying that 'analog is forever' and digital isn't??

Ok, I understand that digital formats change and digital media does not have as long a shelf life, but you can make perfect copies of digital media and it's impervious to magnetic fields (at least cd's and dvd's are..), but if that analog tape starts to shed or is affected by a magnetic field - it's GONE! Not to mention you can't make copies without degradation.

Comments?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Re: Steve Albini - just watched the vid. WTF??

Post by cassettefetish » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:59 pm

wow. did you read the other thread at ALL????

spokes
ass engineer

Post by spokes » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:12 pm

here's a long-ass thread from the electrical board:

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewto ... ight=radar

it deals with this topic beginning on the 2nd page or so.

Ronan
gettin' sounds

Post by Ronan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

bombastique wrote:This is what he says in the video:

Am I missing something here? Is he REALLY implying that 'analog is forever' and digital isn't??

Comments?
I did not hear Steve's quote, but Analog is far more safe and robust option than digital. There are a few reasons.

1) Digital formats change so quicly that in 30 years it will be really tought to find ways to retrieve the media. Imagine trying to find a removable SCSI drive in 30 years. Try finding something to get data off a 5 1/2 inch floppy today.

2) All digital formats are untested in the long run. Analog tapes from over 40 years ago can still be pulled up and sound pretty good.

3) the damage of time of analog tape is a degradation, but damage to digital media can make the content inaccesible. I believe that the library of congress still uses 1/4 inch tape as its primary archive format.

Ronan Chris Murphy
www.homerecordingbootcamp.com

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:27 pm

You might be surprised by what their format of choice is...

http://www.npr.org/display_pages/featur ... 16161.html

--Nick

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:41 pm

cassettefetish wrote:wow. did you read the other thread at ALL????
Haha my thoughts exactly.

here's a long-ass thread from this very special Tape Op board:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=15499

leigh

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:41 pm

cassettefetish, I hope you checked the date of that NPR broadcast... :)
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:10 pm

of course. It's there for others to enjoy.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:59 pm

Ronan wrote:
1) Digital formats change so quicly that in 30 years it will be really tought to find ways to retrieve the media. Imagine trying to find a removable SCSI drive in 30 years. Try finding something to get data off a 5 1/2 inch floppy today.

2) All digital formats are untested in the long run. Analog tapes from over 40 years ago can still be pulled up and sound pretty good.

3) the damage of time of analog tape is a degradation, but damage to digital media can make the content inaccesible. I believe that the library of congress still uses 1/4 inch tape as its primary archive format.

Ronan Chris Murphy
www.homerecordingbootcamp.com
Digital isn't a storage medium, as much as a storage method. Granted, your hard drive will be dead in a couple of years, and your DVDs will be unreadable in 5. Will you still be using them at that point? No. You will have transferred everything into the next medium, whatever that is.

And what happens if the hard drive fails between now and then? I repeat: Digital is a storage method, not a medium. It allows you to cheaply make identical copies of the thing, and store them in different places. Make multiple copies of optical disks, store them at a couple of friend's houses (in return for a reciprocate action), and you have a storage method safer than tape, that doesn't degrade.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:09 am

cassettefetish wrote:wow. did you read the other thread at ALL????
oops. no, i didn't. i broke my own rule and didn't do a search first. i was just aghast at what he was saying...

i'm reading it now...
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:01 am

I just finished that thread.

All I have to say is - 'whatever'. That's got to be the most useless thread I've read in a while.

The best point I saw made is - whether it's 10 years or 80 years, in 100 years they'll both be gone anyways.

Obviously if you're working with digital, you know the limits and update your archive accordingly. With analog, there will be generation loss with every copy - no matter how little, this adds up. Not only that, but the same thing goes for analog with the argument about how formats change. They are assuming that analog RTR decks are going to be around in 100 years. Well, that's not too likely - maybe someone will come up with a way to read data off a tape some other way, possibly like they do with records being read optically.

Either way - there is no such thing as 'permanence'. With digital, as long as you keep updating it to a current medium, then you should still have pristine copies. This is assuming that some other method of digital storage is invented and accepted that is incompatible with older versions, thus eventually rendering them unusable (for instance - sound designer II files will not necessarily be readable in the future..).
- Hunter S. Thompson

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:12 am

Not exactly related but close. Today on NPR they were talking abotu digital projection for movie theaters. A film projector costs $30k and will last 20 years. A digital costs $150k and might last 5 years but will more likly be replaced when the digital format changes.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:28 am

bombastique wrote:This is assuming that some other method of digital storage is invented and accepted that is incompatible with older versions, thus eventually rendering them unusable (for instance - sound designer II files will not necessarily be readable in the future..).
???

The format of SDII files is well-documented, on paper, and there's no reason a (sophomore) programmer of the future wouldn't be able to write a program on whatever the current OS is to read them.

Leigh

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:00 pm

leigh wrote:
bombastique wrote:This is assuming that some other method of digital storage is invented and accepted that is incompatible with older versions, thus eventually rendering them unusable (for instance - sound designer II files will not necessarily be readable in the future..).
???

The format of SDII files is well-documented, on paper, and there's no reason a (sophomore) programmer of the future wouldn't be able to write a program on whatever the current OS is to read them.

Leigh
Yes, the days of 'no longer use that format' are gone - that's the point of digital - it's a method, a concept, a communication protocol, not a medium.

Back in the old days, yes, it was a medium, and to a certain extent it still is today. But less so every day.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:03 pm

Yes, the days of 'no longer use that format' are gone - that's the point of digital...
Yeah, I don't know why you'd say a digital format was impossible to retrieve sound from in the future. I just got some slides from the 1950s turned into black and white negatives to make prints from and yeah it was a little pricey, but the equipment is still around so it was no problem. My dad just got the hard-drive from his Windows 95 computer transfered to a couple CD-Rs.

That's the only reason a lot of home-recordists use digital--you can FTP an entire session from coast to coast without ever using (having to pay for) a physical medium.

Besides, the only good thing about tape is the tape compression, and that you can get from Vintage Warmer. HAHAHA!

cd