I hate the cables. Help with cables. CABLE MADNESS!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
i am monster face
buyin' gear

I hate the cables. Help with cables. CABLE MADNESS!

Post by i am monster face » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:04 am

Hi. please excuse the subject line. I do hate cables and I do require help with them, but this is in no way cable madness. This is more like cable boredom.

Well, I work at a pro audio shop. We carry tons of nice stuff. Nice mics, nice out board processors and a variety of DAW's. (We even still have a few tape machines, a pretty cool vintage mic collection, and a wire recorder that the owner has on display.)
The only thing we don't have is cool cables. Sure, the Dj's are fine with Hosa and Rapco shit, but we had this problem of people wanting higher quality cables and telling us they don't like the upper end rapco stuff.
So i suggested we investigate upper end cables.
We became a monster dealer. (ugh)
Now, I think monster is a bit over priced, and when the cable snobs came to check out new mic cables they decided rapco was okay.
Well, we sold two 20' monster xlr's in the last six months. I personally like mogami, but Marshall Electronics is apparently not answering their phones or e-mail or faxes and when they do, they respond in a bizzare half english half heirogliphics fax letter.
Anyways, what are some other cable producers that make high quality cables that aren't monster?
Thanks for your time,
Ian Aeillo

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Re: I hate the cables. Help with cables. CABLE MADNESS!

Post by kayagum » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:24 pm

http://redco.com

Dunno about if they do B2B work (Business to Business), but they're worth a call. Their TGS cable ("The Good Stuff") is really quite nice.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:32 pm

to further that redco idea - you guys could start making your own "pro" cables in house and reselling them. order bulk mogami or whatever, get a couple boxes of neutrik connectors and such.... voilla, new branch of business. it'll also give you something to do while you're bored at work (if you get bored at work)

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:38 pm

I get quite bored at work and often times find myself making cables for my own personal use. Other times I find myself on here. Well, most often I find myself on here.

The only problem is, people don't want to walk in here and buy stuff from people who work here. I don't know, it's a mental block they have. We built our own pre amp and attempted to sell it from here, they were fabulous quality in terms of sound and were sold for $299. I pushed it hard every day to sell it to people, but they wanted things like the TUBE MP and shit like that. So, i ended up buying for $150 and now it sits as a staple in my rig.
I don't know how we'd market the "Made Here" cables.
Guess we'd have to A/B them against hosa and rapco.

Ian

elberto
audio school graduate

Post by elberto » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:03 pm

while on tour i stopped to buy cables at a guitar store in seattle--it was good stuff with neutrik connectors and proco cable and the store logo on the heat shrink; more expensive than the el cheapo cables, but not as outrageous as monster cable. But the thing was they had a "if it breaks, we replace the cable for free, for the rest of your life" thing that is totally awesome. I'm sure they don't replace many in the short term (which is good for them), but at the same time, in the long term for a someone like me (that needs new cables every year or so) that's a deal I'll take everytime.

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:43 pm

I just compared some shit cable that was laying around to monster, mogami and the blue kiwi cable and the kiwi won hands down by a mile. If there was a way to get that in bulk I sure as hell would. Do a lot of listening before you buy. There is a great difference betwen cables.