Single Channel Mic Pre's???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
offlinepk
audio school

Single Channel Mic Pre's???

Post by offlinepk » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:17 pm

Using a Korg D1600 with plenty of good condenser mics and a dbx compressor. Only 4 mic pres built into the Korg with no aux in.
In order to use my compressor inline, I need to have an external mic pre to run through it.

I know that you get what you pay for, BUT, I am looking to spend under $150 for a single channel tube or solid state mic pre.

I am leaning towards the Bellari MP105 or Presonus. Ive heard the ART really suck.

Any suggestions?

Z

Mark
tinnitus

Re: Single Channel Mic Pre's???

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:27 pm

The Studio Projects VTB-1 is supposed to be okay (see www.mojopie.com for a review by Harvey Gerst)

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:35 pm

the "tube" mic pre you purchase for $150 will be a solid state amp with a tube on it to blur the shitty sound of the Ic's in the amp.. Hence hearing "art really sucks".

Do yourself a favor and save some money and get something that you wont be pissed you purchased after youve had it for a while. decent gear does indeed cost a penny, but it also makes you smile everytime you use it. Nothing worse than trying to solve a problem with a problem. even if you can save for an RNP, you'll likely be way happier than with what you'll wind up with for $150.

dave

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:19 pm

The AudioBuddy's(MAudio/MidiMan) pretty cheap, $90 or so, stereo to boot, and doesn't try to be something it's not, and even after you get something better, you'll still have a two channel DI box, with phantom built in, so it'll still be useful. (probably more for live work,,but you never know,,mine sounds ok with an RNC behind it,,though I'm not using it presently)

Otherwise, follow Soundguy's advice. The RNP is a nice sounding piece of work. I don't own one, but someone I know did some a/bing on the Tascam 788 Forum, with MP3 samples of various 'budget' preamps, and it beat everything else, hands down.

PS The VTB1 was in on this too, and while it's no slouch itself, the RNP was outstanding,,literally, head and shoulders above everything else.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:43 pm

I believe there's a used Symetrix SX202 over in Buy/Sell/Trade, $150 shipped for 2 channels.

I haven't heard em, but they seem to get a lot of recommendations on this site.

That said, the RNP fucking rocks.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:14 pm

There is no magically great, cheap mic pre.

I have an Audio Buddy and a Tube MP and if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Audio Buddy. It is clean-sounding but colorless. The available phantom power is less than 48V, which might cause you problems as well. The Audio Buddy is less than $100, and will serve you well until you can afford something better. I'm looking at RNP's or a Sytek.

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:50 am

The single-channel Studio Projects VTB-1 and the dual-channel M-Audio DMP3 are actually pretty good, and both are available for under $150.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

offlinepk
audio school

Post by offlinepk » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:06 pm

Sounds like spending the extra dough is really worth it for mic pres.

I just purchased the Pacific Pro Audio LD-2ube and thought I would be able to continue the streak of getting really quality, relatively inexpensive gear that I dont have to replace in a year.

Cheers all.

Z