UPS Drop Kicks Your Stuff

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Re: UPS Drop Kicks Your Stuff

Post by jmligt » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:55 am

Great, I just got my ship confirmation email from musician's friend today telling me they shipped my brand new acoustic guitar via UPS. Reading all of this makes me feel very comfortable.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:01 pm

UPS is properly pronounced, "Oops".

Hate them. Always go FedEx if at all possible. Even prefer USPS to UPS. UPS is court of last resort.

Bums me out too, cuz UPS is union while Fedex is not. (And my family is labor-supporters from wayback.)

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

my apple G5 is coming via UPS...

i'm not gonna worry though. no sense in that.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:14 pm

UPS = Ultra Punch Suppliers

I've actually grown to really like the USPS. I can't even count the number of times UPS has just dumped stuff on my porch when I wasn't home. I just ordered the thing and it's sitting outside all day. Thanks God my town and neighborhood is full of honest people...

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:31 pm

ya, USPS is usually alright... but they still have yet to send me a vinyl record a friend sent me, oh, 3 years ago? hehe. for that, they suck.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:04 pm

I was discussing this with someone and it's true: it's amazing that the USPS works as well as it does and that mail is delivered as consistently as it is. I get a ton of packages and have never had any 'not arrive'. I have a worse but not bad success rate with letters, magazines, etc. but whatever.

I use a PO Box for my mail, though, which is cheap and awesome. Don't have to worry about packages getting swiped, etc.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:15 pm

Next time I see the UPS truck, I'm gonna drop kick it so hard that the dude will fly out of it into a dumpster. Then I'm scream, "Bet you wish your stupid truck had a door, cheapskate," and drop kick the dumpster. And the dumpster is gonna side off into the horizon and explode.

I need to get off the internet.
I am wangtacular.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:57 pm

waiting for your arch-nemesis, Bear?

"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:26 pm

sound wrote:waiting for your arch-nemesis, Bear?

I was young and confused. Now I just sit in a shed and play banjo.

I am wangtacular.

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:06 pm

also wrkd at OOPS for 6 wks. graveyard. the performance goal was, no joke, 1100 pcs per hour. thats almost 3 pcs per SECOND. yep.

the day after i started my otari5050-8 arrived. it WAS mint when it left CA.
once it arrived in TX it was 'dent' condition.

i saw three G5s on diff days get hurled out of the back of a OOPS semi onto the roller thingys and conveyor belt. so awful.
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

TWO EAR MAN
gettin' sounds

Post by TWO EAR MAN » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:36 pm

Urine Piss Shit >>>>> have always and I mean it every single time ever maybe like 35 times in my time > fucked up the delivery if not the package

and the bastard we have now days oggles my wife

AND they wear shit brown

Fed-Ex and USPS here here
~Microphone Stan himma Two Ear Man~

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:09 am

I was beginning to think -- seriously -- that I had somehow pissed off my local UPS truck dude, in some way unknown to me, and that he was bashing the boxes before delivering them. I've had grounds loose on mics, an Otari that arrived with screws rattling around in the box, and a voltmeter with a cracked case -- all from reliable sellers.

"Ooops" indeed . . .
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:38 am

here's one in support of not driving your own stuff...

i took yesterday off to go pick up an A80RC near philly and drive it up to JRF with my main 14 year old man Jim...rented a van cuz i didn't know how big it would be...so we left it on the stand and tied it to the wall...

get to JRF...rap a bit (nicest people BTW)...then John French says to pull the van back to unload. We drive it back, park, open the back...i instruct Jim to get in the van and I'll support the tape machine and we'll slowly lower it down...John asks if we need any help...i'm like "oh no no..."
It wheels to the edge...i'm thinking we're going to lower it down...

BAM!

the machine falls - it weighs a ton...it separates from the stand and goes face down on a lawn in the NJ country. Jim is clutching his fingers (minor scrapes...) i am shitting bricks as i just saw a studer hit ground zero... in front of John French! He said no problem they are built like tanks...put it up in his shop and it worked well...the meter bridge may have been bent...we'll see...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

anway - maybe i should apply for a job at UPS and i swear if i ever meet the queen i'll end up letting one rip by accident.

Mike

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:46 am

UPS damages stuff, and FedEx looses it. I dont know which is worse. Ive lost 3 or so packages via FedEx and I sent about 15. Never got $ or the packages. Lucky they were only some clothes and not too expensive. UPS has damaged things. we had a TV totally dented and scratched via UPS, as well as some computer parts with their boxes totally smashed. I once ordered a guitar (les paul copy) off of a site via UPS and I found the box in the snow...like, halfway in the snow. luckily the guitar was OK.

with that though, I have had good experiences, and the companies covered the shipping damage somehow for the TV and computer stuff

Dave :roll:
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:57 am

something tells me fedex is just as careless with how they treat the packages. and yeah, they do lose stuff. an ibook on its way to me got lost in their brooklyn center, which was 3 blocks away from where i was living at the time.