multiple speaker pairs off a single power amp

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
twelvebit
audio school

multiple speaker pairs off a single power amp

Post by twelvebit » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:04 am

would like to add a second set of monitors to my setup, would prefer to have a single amp running the whole show (a la conventional integrated amps with a and b speaker selections)

is this plausible? harmful to the speakers? pro co make a monitor selector box that seems to do this (RMS-1A) but i am wary of their quality. any advice from the trenches? willing to buy a new amp to make this dream come true...

failing that, if i break down and get a second amp, anyone had experience with the presonus central station, or equiv?

rubykitty2000
ass engineer

Re: multiple speaker pairs off a single power amp

Post by rubykitty2000 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:58 pm

I have one of those Pro-Co boxes. I've been running all my monitors off of one Crown DC-300 for years with no problems.

Certain solid state amps (Phase Linear for example) may not be happy with a switch on the output, and I wouldn't try it with a tube amp but I think it's generally a good way to save some money.

Avoid the Monster Cable speaker switchers. They are junk. The Pro-Co is really solid.

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:51 am

I personally run connections through my patchbay because I have so many speakers in my studio. I know this can create signal problems, but when I am doing reference mixing I figure that it's best to utilize everything you have.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:04 am

15-1952 is the Rat Shack switcher that I have used for a couple of years, to switch between the recorder outs and the computer. It is styled an "audio-video" selector, but I use it in reverse, and ignore the video jacks; US$20) I use an integrated amp so I have my treasured Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's on "Speaker A." I use "Speaker B" to the Rat Shack 40-132 speaker switcher (US$ 10) where I go between whatever secondary monitors I'm using (currently Sony "2-way" 4" boombox speakers and some aweful 3" single-driver computer speakers.)

Nary a problem.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:34 am

I've used the Coleman LS-3 for years. It's more money than the RatShack alternative, but it's rock solid.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:52 pm

I've used the Coleman LS-3 for years. It's more money than the RatShack alternative, but it's rock solid.
I'm pretty sure he wants a speaker selector not an input selector.

In terms of the speaker switch, check on your amp.. my NAD 2200 power amp doesn't like speaker selector boxes as most use a common ground.

Are there any good speaker boxes that don't use a common ground and have binding posts rather than those clippy kind of jacks? (ala radioshack selector..)
15-1952 is the Rat Shack switcher that I have used for a couple of years, to switch between the recorder outs and the computer. It is styled an "audio-video" selector, but I use it in reverse, and ignore the video jacks; US$20)
A big problem with the radioshack input selectors is they have a terrible crosstalk rating, you'll definately lose stereo image with one of those, so watch out.

Try plugging your cd player (or computer) straight into the integrated amp and see if it actually improves the stereo image.. if everything else in your setup is good you may notice a difference. If not, just ignore me.. :)

Mike

twelvebit
audio school

Post by twelvebit » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:39 pm

right now i am routing everything through a small mackie to a crown dc300a, so there's nowhere to go but up as far as fidelity goes. i need to maintain at least 3 inputs, and ideally would have three outputs (i currently run 2 powered monitoring setups, one of the main outs and one of the tape send).

something like the proco box will work because it will take the burden off the mackie if i can A/B right from the box (in fact i'll bury the mixer in the backyard as soon as that day comes.) something like the coleman box will work, but it means introducing another power amp to my room, and man is it getting toasty in here.... plus i have a new bryston amp coming and would rather run everything off that.

these suggestions have been very useful, esp. that link to the coleman stuff @ mercenary. any other tips as to how i can make my dreams come true?

Ollie
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ollie » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:11 pm

Bryston makes a nice speaker switcher.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:27 pm

dynomike wrote:
I'm pretty sure he wants a speaker selector not an input selector.
Mike
Doh! Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. A thousand pardons. :oops: I use the Coleman for feeding to a set of powered monitors or to an amplifier feeding a passive pair. However, coleman does make a complete line of speaker selectors.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:49 pm

That coleman passive preamp/speaker switch on the mercenary site looks sweet. But it totally isn't worth 900 bones.

I may end up building a new passive preamp to get all the features I want... www.dact.com

Its not cheap, but its not that expensive.. geez.

Mike

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Post by cactus » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:14 pm

that's funny - i picked up my Bryston 2-way switcher this morning...

it's great! $200 is pricey, but i like both of my speakers (both passive), and didn't want to buy another amp.
plus you can play both sets simultaneously.

(btw, it's post-amp, of course)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:56 pm

I've got an Adcom box that works fine. I've got my active monitors out of console speaker A and my passives out of speaker B and that goes to an integrated amp (also Adcom) to the switcher which has a "protector" to run all the speakers at once. I think the switcher is for five pairs. I've only got two hooked up, NS-10s and some really small Rat Shack cubes.

twelvebit
audio school

Post by twelvebit » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:36 am

tony, is that the Adcom GFS-4? that looks like the ticket for me - have you noticed any signal degradation by introducing it into your path?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:25 pm

I'll look tonight for the model number. I use it on my secondaries, that don;t sound great to start with, but I don't think it degrades. Teh NS-10s still sound like NS-10s... :roll:

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:23 pm

In the hi-fi/audiophile world, the little Niles speaker selector boxes are great. I've used one in our studio when we've had multiple monitors and thought it was great. They're a little more than a simple signal splitter, so the quality doesn't degrade like it would with a cheap RS box. I think that these might be cheaper than a Coleman box...even though their stuff is top notch.
I've got a small Niles box I'd sell if someone is interested. I've just got two of them and only need one. Let me know...
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher