What Did You Work On Today? 7-05-04

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 7-05-04

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:50 pm

Alright, out with it! What did you work on today, Monday, July 5th?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

b3groover
deaf.

Re: What Did You Work On Today? 7-05-04

Post by b3groover » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:59 pm

I've been mixing a session that I recorded on Saturday. I posted about it in an original thread but decided to delete that and post it here.

I have a little project studio in my basement that I use mainly to record stuff with my trio (Hammond organ, guitar, drums). It's set up so we can turn the computer on a go at a moment's notice. The mics are always set up and I just bought a really nice Yamaha kit so our drummer didn't have to lug his in every time.

Anyway, on Friday I got a call from a local drummer here in Lansing, MI. This guy has been on the scene forever and has recorded with some heavy cats down in Nashville back in the day. Fantastic drummer... rock solid, grooves like crazy.

He was recently diagnosed with cancer and we had a benefit for him a couple months ago at the local watering hole. It was crazy how many musicians showed up. I've only been on the scene for around 10 years myself but I know pretty much all the musicians in this town. And they were all there.

Long story short, he calls me up Friday and says that he heard my mentor, a great Hammond organist who's been in Hawaii for 2 years, was in town and that he's always wanted to record an organ trio record with him. "He leaves on Sunday. Can we use your studio on Saturday?" I really don't record any other stuff except my own but I said, "Hell yes!"

So he comes over, they invite the guitarist that plays with my R&B band, a fine jazz player himself, and we get to work. The drummer has to have an oxygen tank next to him and tubes in his nose while he plays, but he plays his ass off. He's too weak to barely even walk down stairs, but he just swings like crazy the whole session! We recorded for about four hours straight and it was so much fun! Just three guys laying into old standards and playing with freedom and passion and fun! Great stuff!

It's times like these that makes life beautiful.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:04 pm

Gutted my control room. Finished the construction plans.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:13 pm

I got stuck on watch at work so I got to do a whole heap of nothing. Which screws me because I really would like to be playing.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:14 pm

b3groover wrote:It's times like these that makes life beautiful.
Amen to that! Congratulations!

Chris

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:26 pm

recovered from drinking way too much last night (well, and for the last few nights actually) and picked up a drawmer 1960 that i'm borrowing from a friend for a session tomorrow and wrote a song that sounds kinda like pedro the lion. i like it. and i'm going to bed early tonight.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:51 pm

Waited around for a client who didn't show up, so I rewired some patch stuff, relabeled a ton of shit, fixed the stuck mutes on the Saber, boxed up review and broken gear to return, etc....

Then edited some stuff for the next issue. Catching the 10:40 Fahrenheit 911 when my "date" gets here...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:55 pm

Second day in a row (plus some time the previous two days, to be honest) attempting to incorporate a new rack into my already-cramped dining room studio. It's a taller rack than the old one (which is still seeing some use) but it's also twice as deep, which makes putting it at an angle kinda awkward. I was looking forward to losing the big, shaky, ugly A/V desk my computer and 002 were on (see photos here of the previous incarnation: http://www.toxicbag.com/evil/pics2.sht), but I think it's gonna have to stay. I also don't have space anymore for the Wurlitzer, which is currently in the living room...though since I don't use it all the time I suppose it can be out of the main studio area. The rack was free, so I'll take it; I just wish it was a touch more...svelte.

Oh yeah, and my Vocoder seems to have stopped working in the move from rack A to rack B. Odd.

And I need more patchbay space.

Also loaded up some sounds for Rigsby.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:18 pm

Worked on this tube line mixer thing I'm building for a keyboard rig. Kindof based on the Altec 1567.

hank hill
pluggin' in mics

Post by hank hill » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:47 pm

I witnessed magic in my studio tonight.

I've been recording this somewhat politically motivated... sort of experimental sounding indie band. They are turning out to be the first clients since my little studio went "public" in January to really blow me away and I?m having a great time recording.

Anyway.

They are writing and creating as they go along to some extent and they came in tonight and said that they wanted to start something new. They said they want it to be real sparse and be really electronic based, but that he just wanted to do a scratch of his vocal and an acoustic guitar so he had something to build from. I mentioned that if they want the song to end up being more electronic than guitar based that maybe wed just do the scratch guitar on electric and go direct. (Tube driver direct into my ua610) We figured that maybe that super fuzzy sound might be kind of neat to blend with loop and electronic stuff they had in mind and it wouldnt be a complete waste like an acoustic track.

So we start plugging stuff in but while the guitarist was looking in my pedal cabinet he grabbed my broken boss octave and a line 6 modulation modeler. He ended up hooking those inline too. The line 6 works fine but the octave pedal tracks real badly and farts out when you hit any low strings. The guitarist started noodling through the song while another member of the band was messing with the pedals. We recorded a take like this just to see where we came up with a cool sound.

When we listened back we thought the sounds were just kind of funny and totally weird. The guitar was very one dimensional sounding except for whenever he hit like the root notes of chords and the octave pedal sorta farted and then the MM4 sorta washed it out ... maybe like a wah..

We decided to just keep it and the vocalist went in the booth to do a quick scratch vocal over it. I just set up a 57 in there and ran that through sytek and an rnc.

Thats when we all realized it was magic. The vocalist was about 1/4 of the way through the song and everyone sort of looked at each other and our jaws just dropped. The lo-fi vocal sound mixed with the totally goofy guitar sound was perfect

And that was it. That was the song. What was supposed to be electronic and beat based ended up being one track of weird guitar that was farting and a scratch vocal over top.

Everyone was really excited about it.

Guess you had to be there.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:50 pm

hank hill wrote:Guess you had to be there.
I wish I was. That sounds great!

Chris

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:13 pm

Started back up after a few days off. Started some preliminary mixing/editing for a band from Utah called Palomino, sorta pop/alt-country stuff. Trying to figure out how I'm going to record a B3 part all by myself with a broken finger! Ouch!

Then, this evening, mixed two songs for a band called Mercir, working on the rest of their record all this week. Lots of beats, keyboards, cool FX, like Bjork or the more techno side of Radiohead. Cool band. We're mixing all in Protools (which I'm not sure if I like yet) but I'm running the mixes out thru my Neve 1073's which is making a huge improvement. The shit is bumpin!

shawn

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:59 am

cgarges wrote:Alright, out with it! What did you work on today, Monday, July 5th?
This. A lo-fi mp3.

No it's only started today, let alone mixed (gah, that bass is >horrible< ). It doesn't even have the vocals tracked yet. It comes down in a day or two.

I wouldn't have the guts to post this in a forum that wasn't composed of other people who are used to listening to music in the process of completion all day.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:18 am

seems like every time you ask, i'm rewiring my fucking patchbays...

PARTY!

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:27 am

mixed the last three songs of a 10 song full length for a folk client who orig came in to do a 5 song solo quickie back in NOV. (since Nov have added: violin, viola, cello, double bass, drumset, elec bass, mandolin, shaker, bonjos, tambourine, guitars guitars guitars voices voices, etc.) good songs, fun job...

then..
practice some new songs with my band

then..
mixed a 4 band bill at a local club

meanwhile..
played in second band of sd 4 bands at yon local club.

currently..
still wired.
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com