Worst guitar tones ever

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
black mariah
buyin' gear

Worst guitar tones ever

Post by black mariah » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:39 pm

We get a lot of "best ever" type posts here, which are generally pretty cool since I always end up finding a few things I've never heard before. Let's go the other way now. What are the worst guitar tones you've ever heard? My three worst are easily Minor Threat, the Stooges, and Jesus and Mary Chain.

I've never liked Minor Threat, and Gregg Ginn's tone is the reason. I heard Minor Threat before I heard Black Flag so going from the greatness that is Minor Threat's tone to Greg Ginn's fart of a tone was highly disappointing. I can't stand the Stooges either. Guitar Wolf makes an exploding amp sound much better. Probably worst of all is te Jesus and Mary Chain. That screeching-ass high end pisses me off. It kills an otherwise great song. Anyone else have some examples of how NOT to do things (he asks, knowing full well someone's going to hate something he likes. :D )?
Heurh!

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Re: Worst guitar tones ever

Post by brian beattie » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:58 pm

wow, this is great! I hate the way the guitars ( and pretty much EVERYTHING) sounds on any my bloody valentine!
I think you've started a wild and furry thread, mr. mariah!!!! (cuz, as we all know, the worst IS the best, and vice-versa)
brian

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:59 pm

Stevie Ray Vaughn, that guy sounded like shit.

Just kiddin'. Over the past few years I've been growing to dislike the "big" power chord sound, one that I used to find extremely appealing and believed was inherently so. But all this chipper emo bands have got the same damn sound now, it's really "big" and "aggressive" and "full" and bores me to tears. I long for that They Might Be Giants song where Eugene Chadbourne plays a guitar solo over the telephone.

I recently got the Pavement Slanted and Enchanted reissue, and gaped in astonishment at a photo of their setup that included a 1980's Fender red-knob solid state amp, the same one I had at that time--and when I listened closely, there it was, sounding like tinny crap all over the mix, and no bass to boot. Yet it sounded excellent, because it was playing these terrific Pavement songs. I guess what I'm saying is I can't stand "perfect" tone anymore--I feel like some guitarists have decided they've simply perfected the sound of a miked amp, and they'll do it that way for eternity now.

Bad=good!
Good=bad!

John

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:02 pm

I've never liked Minor Threat, and Gregg Ginn's tone is the reason. I heard Minor Threat before I heard Black Flag so going from the greatness that is Minor Threat's tone to Greg Ginn's fart of a tone was highly disappointing.
I'm so lost on that quote... can you clarify please?

as far as bad guitar tones... I'm having a hard time coming up with one. most of the stuff I don't like isn't because it's "bad" as much as it's bland.

I'll take Greg Ginn or the Stooges or the MC5 over some (post-Diamond Dave) Van Halen or nu-metal band any day of the week.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:04 pm

and I'll agree with Inversroom - if it sits in the track "right", it can be as bad as it wants to be.

listen to some of the early Stones stuff... it works, but not because the guitar tones are stellar... but they fit.

- housepig

doyoudigworms?
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by doyoudigworms? » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:15 pm

Greg Ginn??? man, come on! Nervous Breakdown???? That tone is right up to the edge fantastic! It totally fits the song. The amp is just....loud.... Im sure every knob is 11, 11, 11, 11...
...Nervous Breakdown...thats all thats you need for the real Black Flag...

BUT I cant speak the same of "Rats Eyes" off'a Slip It In.

how about Thomas G. Warrior/ Celtic Frost's tone... especially Cherry Orchard...eww . yuck!

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:29 pm

Most guitar tones dont bother me "If there interesting" BUT! of course if it's fizz!!,i just cant stand that horrible "dodgy metal band" cheesy processed fizzy sound!!!!!!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:32 pm

Ummm.....am I reading the first bit right?

I like the thread idea but....unless I'm SO sadly mistaken, Greg Ginn was never in Minor Threat.

Clarification?!?!??!?!?!

As far as all time worst guitar tones....my initial vote is with all the so called "rock" on MTV these days, be it Nu metal or the Blink 000 junk. All walls of shit. There IS no tone...you hear no depth in chords....you cant even make out exact guitar parts. Dynamics?!?!? No way! Guitars now adays are either on or off, period.

I'll take Greg Ginn over Tom DeLonge any day of the week. In all fairness, Greg's recorded tone was hit and miss though...some of it was balls to the wall, some was just how Black Mariah described it.

heylow

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:33 pm

housepig wrote:and I'll agree with Inversroom - if it sits in the track "right", it can be as bad as it wants to be.

listen to some of the early Stones stuff... it works, but not because the guitar tones are stellar... but they fit.

- housepig

Absolutely!

heylow

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:41 pm

Any of the nu metal stuff that's out nowadays sucks big time. It's quickly become such a generic sound. What they think is brutal is just pop fodder to my ears.

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:02 pm

I like the thread idea but....unless I'm SO sadly mistaken, Greg Ginn was never in Minor Threat.
I mean that I heard Greg Ginn and Black Flag after I heard Minor Threat. The two bands are often cited as the best hardcore bands ever, and IMO Black Flag pales in comparison to Minor Threat. The guitar tone is the main reason why for me. Lyle Preslar's tone just tears everything up and Ginn's, even on 'Nervous Breakdown', just seems lifeless in comparison, IMO.
Heurh!

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:05 pm

Phil Collins always had this crappy guitar player with him when he went solo. Well, Don't You Lose My Number had an "okay" solo. His tone always sucked, however.

Steve Hackett was the shit, when he was with Genesis.

Tom Morello is such a great guitar player, but his tone sucks ass. How ironic.

On the other hand Dave Navarro always sucked as a guitar player AND had crappy tone.
Last edited by DUC on Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:07 pm

Punk music and good guitar tones? Hmmm. That would be contrived. I guess if you're looking for something bombastic. I don't know.

phat-ass
ass engineer

Post by phat-ass » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:18 pm

Motley Crue. My god. What is wrong with those guys? Oh, and Ratt. And I still get a kick out of that stuff. (not like I did when I was in junior high, but still). It cracks me up every time to think that I thought those guys were "heavy" now I listen and I think just the opposite.

phat

cURVe sPACe
takin' a dinner break

Post by cURVe sPACe » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:34 pm

I dunno, I like Navarro's playing and tone on all the Jane's Addiction stuff... guess its just a personal taste thing.
I'm goin' to the store, anybody need anything?