Favorite bass guitar

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Meriphew
deaf.

Favorite bass guitar

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:38 pm

Which bass guitar do you use for laying down the grooves? I use a Fender American Jazz w/Fender Custom Shop pups most of the time, but will occasionally use my G&L ASAT bass.

AstroDan
george martin

Re: Favorite bass guitar

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:59 pm

My Feb, 1975 Rickenbacker 4001.

If loving it is wrong, I don't wanna be right. R.I.P., Barry White.

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:10 pm

I play my 1 lipstick pickup chocolate flatwound wooden silvertone, mostly, but I'll always have a soft spot for my 5 string fretless steinberger. (through a silvertone head, of course. Tone's gotta be silver...)
brian

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:04 pm

Im putting in my vote for a rick 4001. I got one in 1993 and I havent recorded a bass since then that wasnt a rick that got me really excited. Granted, if you dont like the sound of a rick, you are sooooo out of luck with this thing, but if you can find its zen, it rules the universe hands down.

I like my bass to be BASS. Not everyone does, enter jazz bass and music mans, etc. But for the stoner rocker, rick all the way...

dave

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:26 pm

1976 Ibanez "lawsuit" J-bass, Washburn B-200 (set neck, active electronics), and a G & L SB-1 (p-bass style). Between these three I'm almost always assured a good tone.

Now as for amps? Ampeg for live, my Epiphone Futura for the studio.

-Doc

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:31 pm

when i want not only a groove, but a *grind* - i go for my steinberger 4 string, early 80's model. i bought it from a pawn shop about 6 years ago for $180. that puppy can handle anything - and well. recently, i have it tuned in 5ths so that it has the range of a 5 string, but only 4 strings

instead of a:
E - A - D - G

mine is:
low A - E - B - F#

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:11 am

My fave has no name. It's a Prec copy, but there's no manufacturer's decal thingwy on it anywhere. It's white - but has yellowed in places, and the neck varnish has kind of gone pooey - sort of darker. Like it's been in the same room as a heavy smoker for the last 15 years. Wait.

I bought it new in 1987 for ?100.

Anyhow, I just put 40 quids worth of new pick-ups on it and it sounds pretty much the same as before but better. It can do awesome Hookey type sounds with the tone full up, thru some kinda sympathetic lead amp, or - with the tone half-way up (played with fingers, not pick) - it can do trad sounds really good too.

It's probably some Tokai or Marlin shit, beneath its anonymous exterior, but who cares. It rules. Oh - the bad thing. It buzzes like a wanker if I let go of the strings. Heh. But seeing as I don't do live anymore this isn't too much of a problem really.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:17 am

Peavey T-20!

A perfect polished turd.

Sounds great. ALWAYS! Plays great ALWAYS! Noise and hum ALWAYS! I love it.

An old folded licence holds up the pickup. Just give her a good slap on the back if you push the pickup down to far.

Just make sure to turn off all the lights and TVs before you turn it up.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

bern
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bern » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:18 am

I have a 1974 Guild JS-II that is awesome. I've had a few others, but that one is my favorite.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:18 am

bobbydj wrote: Oh - the bad thing. It buzzes like a wanker if I let go of the strings. Heh. But seeing as I don't do live anymore this isn't too much of a problem really.
You haven't heard of the sock trick?

Take a guitar cable and plug it in somewhere in the bass's chain (say if there is an unused jack on the DI box, or even just a point on the patchbay that is connected to the same ground as the bass, and put the other end in your sock, making sure that the ground of the cable is touching your skin. That should take care of that buzz.

Shielding the bass better and making sure the pickups are grounded to the bridge will help too.

Roger

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:27 am

My pre c.b.s. 64 fender precision.....she's my baby!!!!!! Mmmmmm!!!

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:51 am

Is it wrong to be in love with a bass?

I picked up a Fretless Godin Acoustibass. It is unbelievable, especially given the price I paid -- $370. It has an LR Baggs p/u and preamp.

Its sound has an upright feel to it (that is what is designed for) which I use it for most of the time. But also, I have had fun making grittier, dirty sounds with it.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:51 am

Thanks for the good :idea: Rodgre/Roger. I'll give it a go.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:05 am

Danelectro '58 re-issue Longhorn. Short scale, with GHS 7700 Pressure Wound Light Gauge. Love it. Has the wooden bridge, and tiny guitar tuners. Stays in tune and is intoned well. Booms real well, specially through the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI.
Thanks for the tip on the sock Rodgre. I wish it were wired so using both PU's would give humbucking(like my Slingshot),,but alas.
Weird blue sunbusrt. $225 from MF.

PS I'm very tempted by the Reverend Rumblefish,,but I bet it's neck heavy, which drives me nuts. That new Fender Deluxe with the P and J PU's on it both looks nice.
Last edited by PatrickBrown on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:24 am

llmonty wrote:Is it wrong to be in love with a bass?

NOT! when you have one like this it's not!!!!!

I also had a Rik 4003,these are great basses to record with,had to sell it when i was skint, never mind still got my vintage p.bass :)