Help I have to record an ACDC cover band

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: Help I have to record an ACDC cover band

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:19 am

nacho459 wrote:I know this isn't engineering tips, but if the band has the right gear it'll make it easier to get the right sound.
That's some of the best advice possible, really. So many bands come to me with simply the wrong gear for what they want to sound like, and expect that the studio can magically change that. It just ain't so - it's gotta be close to what you want/need to start with at the source.

Sorry, I digress,

Yep, dry, dead & punchy kick & snare. Very little room tone. Guitars mush less distorted than you'd think. Agreed on all counts. :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:07 am

Use a Marshall 800 for guitars (preferably an SG) and mic it with a Neumann km-184. It's perfect!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:38 am

sonichue wrote:Dandy's cover of Hell's Bells a bit recently. It sounds great, but it sounds like one of their imitation songs rather than a cover. In otherwords, in sounds like the Dandys. Who would that be, Tony Lash?

this won't be hard at all one of my best friends used to live across the street form them in Texas and they used to play together all the time..

thanks again for all the advice..im beginning to actually be properly prepared..this is awesome..

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:16 pm

chetatkinsdiet wrote:a few more random thoughts....
Main thing...keep the guitars cleaner than you first might think. I'm sure these guys know how to get the right sounds since they're a cover band, but who knows....I'd back the volume knob off on the gtr and then crank the amp more....keeps distortion down.
This was in the day of Lexicon Reverbs....
It'd be great to have a Lexi PCM60 for the drums....Also, use 70s sort of techniques to really muffle the drums down. Add the reverb later to bring them back out. Big fat snare sounds....large drums...
On the vox, as mentioned, use a bit of delay...something like 15-25ms should fatten it up nicely.
If the singer has that gravely BJ or BS vox sound, I'd try using something like an SM7 or RE20 for their vox. If you don't have that, try a 57. Mic pres....API if you got em. This is real rock and roll.
Bass....use an SVT and Fender P. If you don't have that....I'm serious here, the POD Pro, rack mount bass units have a GREAT SVT sound. Use one, you'll see.
I wish I was there...this sounds fun.
later,
m
Believe it or not, Cliff Williams' main bass is a Stingray... he must keep his strings waaaaaay dead and roll the tone off, cause it sure doesn't sound like the typical Music Man sound.

Dunno what he actually played on Back in Black though. Sure sounds like a Precision.

|<|>|

Albro Swift
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albro Swift » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:30 pm

Here's a Sound on Sound article about getting the ACDC drum sound:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug03/a ... b0fca2101a

Good luck!

Josh

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:34 pm

and usefullness keeps flowing !

thx !

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:11 pm

My advice is to forget all of this advice (no offense to the advice givers) and make your own record. Who would want to listen to an exact copy when the original is readily available (and probably better)? I have no idea why a cover band would want to record anyway, unless they did something new and imaginative with the music.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:30 pm

jmligt wrote:My advice is to forget all of this advice (no offense to the advice givers) and make your own record. Who would want to listen to an exact copy when the original is readily available (and probably better)? I have no idea why a cover band would want to record anyway, unless they did something new and imaginative with the music.
So I should turn down this paying job i need to pay my bills and make my own record? or they should quit the ACDC band and start an original band? that was kind of unclear..

Cover bands get a lot of great gigs and make a good living doing it..they need some examples of what they sound like to get gigs..if it makes them happy and i can offer my services i dont mind at all and i even think its fun..

plus the act of copying a sound is highly educational imho..i dont see this in a negative way at all..for them or me..

there comes a point in your life when you have to give up certain ideals when its time to pay the rent..

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:02 pm

Yeah, I know he says he plays a Stingray now...maybe he does live....maybe he does in the studio, but I'd still bet he digs his ol' pbass out of the closet for recording sessions.
later,
m

As for the post above saying to forget all of this. I agree with the original poster on numerous points. One, it's a paying job...take it. Two, it's very educational and fun to try to copy another recording. Listening to the originals and trying to figure out whats there and how to recreate it. Isn't this one of the best ways to learn to play an instrument? Why wouldn't the same be true of the art of recording?
I mean, if you were doing a hall and oates cover band, that might not be too fun, but ac/dc....come on....
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:11 pm

also i mean no offence to you jmligt..and i actually agree with you in your ideals..though i find it possible to do things like this and be creative in many other ways, work on other more artful projucts simultaniouly..you know..

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:22 pm

I didn't say to not do the recording, I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. I'm just saying maybe you shouldn't strive so hard to make it sound exactly the same. I didn't want to come off a some condescending jerk with high ideals and whatnot, but I guess I did. And I know you can make a living in a cover band, I have friends that do, more power to them. I guess if they're paying you for an exact copy, you have no choice but to try to make an exact copy, and from the looks of it you have plenty of advice to go on. All I was saying was to maybe entertain the notion that putting your own sound on the recording might give the songs a fresh spin, maybe something new would come out.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:32 pm

jmligt wrote:All I was saying was to maybe entertain the notion that putting your own sound on the recording might give the songs a fresh spin, maybe something new would come out.
it is a very good point! i did kind of read into your post a little diferently..im sorry :oops:

but i think the target audience for these demos(local club mongrel booking owning $'s in thier eyes) will be interested in how much they sound like ACDC rather than the interesting new approach they took on ACDC's songs..

so i figure its the best approach..i have yet to talk with the band about specific goals though..maybe your idea is what they will want..

substitute
pushin' record

Post by substitute » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:05 pm

Just came across this thread...
Could you post some MP3's when you're done, it sounds like a really fun project, I think every one would love to hear the results!

=|:^=

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:15 pm

I worked with David Bianco after he'd recorded the real band and he said he was embarrassed to charge them because all he did was put some 57's in front of the guitar amps and "it sounded like an AC/DC record".

Yeah, I know that doesn't help you. File under anecdote.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:29 pm

i will post them when im done though the band has yet to book time..so it may never happen.. :cry: