Presonus Firepod

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
theistheman
pushin' record

Presonus Firepod

Post by theistheman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:06 am

Have any of you guys used the Firepod yet? The price is sure right. 8 preamps, for under $600? I figure that the pres probably aren't anything to shout about, but you have to figure that it can't be much worse than an 828, which I think sounds fine for mid-fi recording. I'm getting a powerbook, and need to get a firewire interface, and it looks like the firepod might be the one.

If anyone's used one of these I'd appreciate to hear the pros/cons of it.

ctmsound
george martin

Re: Presonus Firepod

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:46 am

Only review I've heard is a friend of a friend bought one and he said it sucked. Was having issues. But who knows. I want it too.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:10 am

I'd also be interested in seeing how it stacks up against an 828, since I'm going to be in the market for something like this soon. Has anyone tried the edirol equivalent?

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:19 am

i have a firestation, do they have the same pres? i would guess yes.

or at least similar. anyway the pres on mine are absolutely fine if not pretty good for mid-fi, if AND ONLY IF you use high gain condensers. you start turning that knob and the shit happens. get past 12 and you are fucked. noisy, thin. the sort of thing that would cause people to get upset about owning an sm57.

57s by the way, on a snare. OK. you dont need much gain for that. singing? nope.

COUNTERPOINT: the portability would be awesome. laptop this, couple little cords and mics.

and you could rock. travel to bands rehearsal spaces. that would be great. set up in a flash, get something midfi going on.

in this sense this product if fucking great.

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:17 am

bump

toastchee
studio intern

Post by toastchee » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:51 am

I just bought one after trading in my MBox, which I didn't like. We'll see in a couple of days when it gets here....

terrible_buddhist
audio school graduate

Post by terrible_buddhist » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:16 am

Its not the same actually...the firestation has a tube pre in it, the firepod does not.

eeldip wrote:i have a firestation, do they have the same pres? i would guess yes.

or at least similar. anyway the pres on mine are absolutely fine if not pretty good for mid-fi, if AND ONLY IF you use high gain condensers. you start turning that knob and the shit happens. get past 12 and you are fucked. noisy, thin. the sort of thing that would cause people to get upset about owning an sm57.

57s by the way, on a snare. OK. you dont need much gain for that. singing? nope.

COUNTERPOINT: the portability would be awesome. laptop this, couple little cords and mics.

and you could rock. travel to bands rehearsal spaces. that would be great. set up in a flash, get something midfi going on.

in this sense this product if fucking great.

toastchee
studio intern

Post by toastchee » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:56 am

toastchee wrote:I just bought one after trading in my MBox, which I didn't like. We'll see in a couple of days when it gets here....
Hi guys,

I tried my new firepod last night and it is really, really nice. Very clean, clear and my mics and bass sound unbelievable. I do have a complaint, and that is the trim knob for mic 1 was scratchy/intermittent.

First impressions are very positive. I'm doing some more serious tracking over the next few weeks, so I'll post my thoughts here.

Toastchee
Nashville