Gillian Welch

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jc
takin' a dinner break

Re: Gillian Welch

Post by jc » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:42 pm

honkyjonk wrote:Did T. Bone Burnett produce all their albums?
t bone did the first two, they did the next two themselves.
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

thebeard
ass engineer

Post by thebeard » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:41 pm

I saw them back a few years, either '99 or 2000 in duluth with Ani Difranco and Greg Brown. They were definately the highlight of the show.

It was a really odd show for me though, the four of them came out and sat on the stage and took turns singing songs that related to a word one of them would say. 'course I've never really followed the folk scene much, this might be a common occurance.

I was mostly just there because my then girlfriend wanted to see Ani and I was familiar with Greg Brown. They were definately an unexpected delight.

Jesse

soundofsingles
audio school

Post by soundofsingles » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:52 pm

T-Bone actually only produced the first two discs. Dave and Gillian produced Revelator and Soul Journey.
Relelator was recorded at RCA Studio B. Soul Journey was recorded at Studio B and at Woodland Sound in Nashville (which they own), as well as at least one track that was recorded at home on a portable tape recorder of some sort. There was a pretty good interview in No Depression last year.

The Revelator DVD has some nice footage of them recording in RCA Studio B which is pretty cool.

On Soul Journey I really think that they were going for a "Harvest" sorta vibe. So they moved from retro 30s to retro 70s.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:58 am

I just stumbled across this pic, thought this'd be a good place to toss it:

It's from this page, which also makes an interesting point in reference to the Down From the Mountain (O Brother soundtrack) show:

"That a certain microphone should have an appropriate ?look? begs the question, who is the look appropriate to? Is there a presumption that the audience can identify the Neumann U47, and is familiar with its history? Or is the ?look? more important to the musicians behind the microphone. Either way, the deification of the U47 as ?appropriate? to music meant to evoke 1930s Great Depression America is an ?invented tradition? in that great line of invented traditions documented by Eric Hobsbawm, Robert Cantwell, Regina Bendix, and so many others; the Neumann company of Berlin, Germany only began manufacturing the U47 in 1947."

Leigh

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:55 am

I have the Austin City Limits performance on DVD-R if anyone is into trading. Just drop me a note with your list. Their performance does have moments of brilliance.

Corin
gettin' sounds

Post by Corin » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:22 am

The great thing about them is that, regardless of how authentic their backgrounds actually are, they've taken this Appalacian sound and moved it foward. It's one thing to buy the right gear and play dress up, and there'd be nothing wrong if they just did stuff form the old Folkways recordings or early Carter family stuff or whatever- it'd be fine if they just did revival stuff as well as they do, but to actually be an amazing songwriter on top of that is really something. What does a modern young woman from California who went to Berklee actually know about the American farmer during the dustbowl era? Apparantly a hell of a lot (more than can be gleaned from a book) if you listen to "Annabelle".

Plus, what amazing singers. They are the real deal.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:45 am

5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:37 pm

Extremely well written. Thanks for the link.

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:06 pm

yeah that's a good new yorker article. after I read it I happened to catch Welch in SF at the 3rd annual free "hardly bluegrass" festival in godlen gate park--I had never actually heard them before, and they were fantastic, I'm a new fan. my other highlight of the festival was a Steve Earl acoustic set

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:45 pm

I too saw teh Steve Earl acoustic set at Hardly Bluegrass, but missed Gillian as I was checking out Guy Clark...I thought EmmiLou was great that night...Even though it was cold...

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:04 am

Spiderhead69 wrote:I too saw teh Steve Earl acoustic set at Hardly Bluegrass, but missed Gillian as I was checking out Guy Clark...I thought EmmiLou was great that night...Even though it was cold...
yeah it was cold but fun! here are some photos

http://cfmceroz.com/photos2/100304.html

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:49 am

leigh wrote:I just stumbled across this pic, thought this'd be a good place to toss it:

to go with the pic, http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_gillian_welch/

man, that's how records should be made, minus the tourists.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Post by Poppatwang » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:53 am

Check out the upright bass sound on "Flat Black Ford" from Revival.
That's the benchmark for me.

Stephen Horsley
pluggin' in mics

Post by Stephen Horsley » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:14 pm

i just saw them last night. that has to be the best gig i have ever been to. the guitar playing, the harmonies! wow!

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:13 am

there is a great article in the new yorker about the two of them. say 3-4 issues ago, therefore 6-8 weeks. its like a day in the life, their early days, gillian's crazy family as a child, her time at berklee. the early gigs. motivations for songs. well written.
drew