TASCAM MS-16?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
elloweez
gimme a little kick & snare

TASCAM MS-16?

Post by elloweez » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:14 pm

Who has used the TASCAM MS-16?

Here is what I need to know -

1. How often does it seem to need to be calibrated/aligned and serviced?

2. Does it have sync cababilites IE: SEMPTE (I am looking for option to sync to a TASCAM TSR-8) ?

3. I am willing to learn to calibrate it if this is something a amateur can learn realitivly easily. But seeing as how my first and only machine is a TSR-8, am I going to be overwhelmed by making the jump up to the MS-16? What would the learning curve be like for something like this?

I have been seeing these machines selling for about $1000, which seems cheaper then most other 1" machines. Does anyone know why or am I just finding good deals? Any other info is welcomed.

Elloweez

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: TASCAM MS-16?

Post by The Scum » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:30 pm

1. How often does it seem to need to be calibrated/aligned and serviced?
That's a hard question. If you're religious about the alignment, then it never needs more than a nudge here and there, which might take 10 minutes. If you only do it every 100 hours of use, then you'll add up all those accumulated tweaks, and they'll take longer.

If it starts out in good shape, and you're not moving it and not running it too hard, then it doesn't drift much.
2. Does it have sync cababilites IE: SEMPTE (I am looking for option to sync to a TASCAM TSR-8 ?
Not built in, but a lot of the common sync interfaces can be wired to control it (like a Micro Lynx or Fostex 4030). The later Tascam sync interfaces (MTS500 & Midiizer) will NOT control it without another interface (the if1000).
3. I am willing to learn to calibrate it if this is something a amateur can learn realitivly easily. But seeing as how my first and only machine is a TSR-8, am I going to be overwhelmed by making the jump up to the MS-16? What would the learning curve be like for something like this?
Get a manual, spend some time studying it, and you'll be OK. Check out the white papers published by MRL, too. It'll run you through the calibration procedures, and give you a better idea what you're trying to do.
I have been seeing these machines selling for about $1000, which seems cheaper then most other 1" machines. Does anyone know why or am I just finding good deals? Any other info is welcomed.
Are they in good shape to begin with? The could account for some of it. They were also kinda the "most advanced semipro" machine when they were produced, where the Otaris we the "least advanced pro" machines. Tascam doesn't have the esteem Otari does...

Keep in mind that you'll need to get some tools and things to keep it running at %100: MRL tape, a couple of "scratch" reels, demagnetizer, tentelometer, magnetometer, q-tips, wiring harness, etc, etc. Also keep in mind that if you cut 5 albums with it on new tape, the media cost will be more than the machine ran you!

Byron Jacquot