What's that new artist that plays the lap steel? Anyone?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

What's that new artist that plays the lap steel? Anyone?

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:44 pm

He's a black guy, i think from New Orleans...at least he plays like it. Amazing stuff. I saw him on the tele recently and just read something about him a few weeks ago. i wanted to try to track down some of his stuff, but can't think of his name.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Re: What's that new artist that plays the lap steel? Anyone

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:45 pm

Robert Randolph seems to ring a bell...hes bad ass. and the Family Band or something

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:46 pm

chetatkinsdiet wrote:He's a black guy, i think from New Orleans...at least he plays like it. Amazing stuff. I saw him on the tele recently and just read something about him a few weeks ago. i wanted to try to track down some of his stuff, but can't think of his name.
later,
m
Robert Randolph? If that's who you're thinking of, it's a pedal steel.

|<|>|

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:46 pm

that's him...thanks guys....
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:54 pm

I've heard some really bad clips of him ripping through hendrix stuff....totally amazing. FWIW....

later,
m

-- Fletcher

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:23 pm

I don't care for him. I mean it's a cool concept and the guy can play. But he's just not like a real pedal steel player. They play unbelieveable stuff using crazy pedal/knee lever combinations, it's intense. Randolph just seems to use it like a lap steel with more strings, he barely uses the pedal and levers and it's always so overdriven. He barely scratches the surface of the instruments potential and relies on intense "gospel/blues fury" to sell his whole schtick. I'm not trying to bash the guy, he's talented, but I know some very serious professional pedal steel players who don't think of him as a true pedal steel player. Fucking snobs!
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:20 pm

JASIII wrote:I don't care for him. I mean it's a cool concept and the guy can play. But he's just not like a real pedal steel player.
I think Robert Randolph is from the 'sanctified' school of steel players, a whole nuther genre really.

More here

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:28 pm

JASIII wrote:But he's just not like a real pedal steel player.
JASIII wrote: I know some very serious professional pedal steel players who don't think of him as a true pedal steel player. Fucking snobs!
pot calling the kettle black?

whether or not he's a "true" pedal steel player, do you enjoy the music he makes?

you could go back to 1968... "oh, that Hendrix, he's not a true guitar player, he doesn't play like [insert non-effected, non-overdriven player here]"
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:29 pm

yeah, i've seen he and the family band live as a friend of a friend was playing guitar for them. it's a really cool thing for like 2 or 3 songs... but yeah, he's just playing the pedal like a lap steel. and very loud. and kinda sloppy...

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:01 pm

I saw and met The Campbell Brothers, another sacred steel band, and they were pretty damn good, actually touching an Allman Brothers vibe. The show I saw had a "traditional" pedal steel player from the country music idiom sitting in and clearly they had a different approach to the instrument - which is not a BAD THING!

:D

rimbaud234
gettin' sounds

Post by rimbaud234 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:23 pm

my friend bruce kaphan (brucekaphan.com) is a fantastic pedal steel player and has done great stuff with many artists including american music club. i love his unique, artistic and non-traditional take on the instrument.
b.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:19 am

"bruce kaphan (brucekaphan.com)"

does this guy own a pizza joint in san francisco?

i love the sacred streel stuff. arhoolie forever. i'll check this guy out...

Mike

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:28 am

I saw him at H.O.B. Hollywood and Skunk Baxter sat in on a couple tracks. It was one of the best shows I've seen in years. He played very tight. His grammy performance disappointed me, which I thought was pretty sloppy.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:58 am

Hey Jas,
I'm from Texas...I know pedal steel. This guy is defenitely not a traditional, in the sense of The Texas Playboys, but nonetheless, great. I know what you mean about more traditional country steel players, what they do is absolutely amazing.
later,
m

-- Fletcher

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:23 pm

"I'm from Texas...I know pedal steel. This guy is defenitely not a traditional, in the sense of The Texas Playboys, but nonetheless, great."

Pedal steel?
Texas Playboys?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Leon McAuliffe was straight steel guitar without pedals...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler