8 channel pre-amps

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
FoundationSound
alignin' 24-trk

8 channel pre-amps

Post by FoundationSound » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:31 am

Anyone know of some good, reasonbly priced 8-channel tube mic pre's? I've used the Presonus M80 at the studio I used to work for and heard some pretty good stuff from the drums, I even used it on vocals when the avalon went out and it sounded pretty good there (Sounded better at the time than the UA pre we were loaned from Guitar Center). I'm kind of skeptical because I bought a blue tube a long time ago when I first started buying gear and it was a noisy piece of trash. I have a D8B and I'm not too happy with the pre-amps so I'd just like a decent sounding 8-channel pre to track drums with and to be a decent spare pre-amp when my avalon and trident are being used.

Should I go for the Presonus or is there anything else out there that's reasonbly priced? OR, should I go for one of the Presonus 8-channel digital mic pre's?

FoundationSound
alignin' 24-trk

Re: 8 channel pre-amps

Post by FoundationSound » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:46 am

After a quick google search, the only 2 that came up were the Focusrite OctoPre8 and the M-Audio Octane. Any thoughts?

Also:
QUOTE: b3groover stated in a previous post:
"I like mine. I think they sound is very clean, not colored much at all... it's got a sound, but not bad. The cool thing is the op-amps are in sockets and changing them with more expensive ones can change the sound nicely. You can also swap the generic transformers for Jensen transformers and the change is pretty dramatic. It goes from being slightly "colored" (ie, a little top-end heavy and not extremely realistic mid-range) to being ruler flat... almost like an earthworks pre."
Know anywhere I can find some info on changing out the op-amps or transformers? How expensive would this be?

waitingroom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by waitingroom » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:26 am

The presonus is around $1700 or so, so why not check out a TRUE precision 8 that runs in the low $2000's? I don't know how they compare, but that is the only other one I can think of. I'm sure someone else can help you out more than I.

http://www.true-systems.com/pre8.html

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:36 am

I've used the true precision 8 channel pres and they are nice. Super transparent and clean with tons o gain and a m/s stereo decoder. Plus they manage this in a one space rack. Would be great for a portable mobile deal.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:03 am

For under $2700 and a little sweat, you can have 8 channels of Neve clones. I have these and consider it one of the top 2 purchase decisions I have ever made for my studio.

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

vatoben
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vatoben » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:03 am

i had a blue tube. that tube had reasons to be blue. then i got an m80. i like it a lot but i later got a digimax lt and i found that to be very well rounded. the m80 sounds huge but the digimax is really clean and open and sounds great with any of my mics. the converters in it sound considereably better than those in my 828 too. at less than $200 a channel, this thing is really impossible to beat.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:35 am

vatoben wrote:i had a blue tube. that tube had reasons to be blue. then i got an m80. i like it a lot but i later got a digimax lt and i found that to be very well rounded. the m80 sounds huge but the digimax is really clean and open and sounds great with any of my mics. the converters in it sound considereably better than those in my 828 too. at less than $200 a channel, this thing is really impossible to beat.
I also have the Presonus Digimax pres, but the SCA N72 Neve clones are far superior in sound. I have done a comparison. Both pres sound great, but the N72's can't be beat. Compare the SCA prices against any of the Brent Averill and you'll see which one is the best bargain. Besides, where else can you get 8 channels of Neve pres in one chassis?
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

brado32
studio intern

Post by brado32 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:39 am

check out the Digi Pre .. you can pick one up from ebay for around $1,500 ..

It is a very clean, true pre.. I actually reach for it a lot nowadays..

peace

-Brad

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:01 pm

2 syteks would run you $1600.

you could get three slightly different flovors out of 8 channels as well...

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:47 pm

if you can handle a little DIY the sky's the limit. as parlorstudio mentioned, seventh circle kits are a great value, as are many others out there, hamptone for one. if not diy then i'd second the syteks.