What did you work on last Saturday?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

What did you work on last Saturday?

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:00 pm

To revive a glorious tradition around here...

There's a local music festival that started out years ago as a backyard party and now it's a showcase for ambitious bands, with a guaranteed friendly and slightly drunk crowd. Runs from 2 in the afternoon to midnight, and I record the whole thing on an Alesis HD-24. A 160 gig drive gives me 10 hours @ 24 tracks, and I fill it all right up. Generally it results in a 6-CD set.

This time around, my new Sytek pres and my new MK-012's got me a SMASHING drumkit sound, like Steppenwolf all over again. Takes weeks to put it all together, and I'm making maybe $2/hour by the time I'm done, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Of course if anyone is in a position to offer the world, I'm listening.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Re: What did you work on last Saturday?

Post by spankenstein » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:03 pm

Had a big party for a friends son's 21st birthday. 5 bands playing on flatbed trailers. I played and ran sound. We also had lights on a truss supported by an old tractor. it was an awesome time.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:04 pm

Started putting the finishing touches on an album that's due in about four weeks.

Yours sounds more fun, though, Joel. Especially the part about drunken friendliness. :D

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:21 pm

I did it on Sunday, so I'm gonna fudge a bit - my wife took the kid out of a house for a while because I seemed antsy (and I was - I hadn't gotten to the studio in about a week), so I tracked the chorus vocals to my song. Two synth overdubs and I'm ready to mix.

My *voice* sounded great once I warmed up, but it didn't sound that way in the mix. Either I need to boost my sampling rate or invest in a decent pre. Probably the former.

I ended up fixing this by doing doing two takes - one "clean" and one with much gain. I made the much-gain take lower in the mix - just enough to hair the distortion on top of the "clean" take. Sounds good. I'm satisfied.

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:21 pm

I finished mixing a song I had recorded last week. It was just 1 piano track, 2 guitar tracks and 1 bass guitar track.
I really took the time to ensure that all the tracks blended well and that it sounded good. Played around with different EQ settings once the final stereo tracks were mixed down to kinda clean it up and make it sparkle...
without running it through a sonic maximiser!!! :D

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:30 pm

I went upstate for a night out with the family in bumf'k NY to see some fireworks. The viewing area was concrete (I sh't you not) and the people running this community event blasted 80's rock throughout the entire fireworks show. Sheer torture from beginning to end.

The only highlight was when, near the end of the show, they blasted Neil Young's 'Rockin in the Free World' -- a song that at one point condemns Bush Sr. I have a feeling that this huge crowd of backwoods knumbskulls had no idea that their republican ideals were under fire during that tune.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:47 pm

Mastered an album I've been working in for a few months.

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:15 pm

Listened to my wife tell me how she wasn't going to step foot into the studio again until it gets significantly cleaned up. It's too claustrophobia-inducing. Which sucks, because I actually want her to feel comfortable in there.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:52 pm

our lead engineer at work got food poisoning and had 3 sessions scheduled. i was the only other engineer even quasi available and had already been there 6 hours before the first session he had scheduled got there (I'm the weekend tech/receptionist, I answer the phones during the morning before sessions and fix stuff that needs fixin'). I couldn't get in touch with the second session b/c they didn't leave home phone numbers, and the third session luckily was okay with rescheduling. i also couldn't get in touch with any of our interns to atleast come and help answer the phone while i was covering the first session and to be there to catch the people from session 2 before they had carried in all of their gear.
it was the most hectic day i've had there. having to catch the door, phones, run a session in one studio, while there was a freelance session in the second that i was keeping an eye on as well. worked out nicely though, the session i did was just the vox for a really good r'n'b singer, who was very understanding of the shortstaffed situation.

i guess it was fun, got paid more for doing the session than i do for just being there fixing things, and the clients were pretty impressed with me and passed that on to the owner so that's definitly a good thing!!!

afterwards i actually had a vocal session with my remote company at a friends house which went really well too....until the power went out in his building.....

hoorah for recording.
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:10 pm

I worked on a pretty conventional rock tune I had already done the drums for, this time recording the bass, and winding up with 4 straight-shot rhythm guitar tracks and 4 intro/breakdown OD's.

I EQ'd and cleaned and compressed the tracks and submixed the guitars (all eight parts) and got a decent session rough mix so far consisting of stereo drums, stereo guitars, and bass.

Next is lead (because I rawk) and vocals (tho' I suck) and maybe a percussion part.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:38 pm

Worked on sound design tracks for the "Alice in Wonderland" show my brother and I are doing in Palatine this fall. It's coming along pretty well, we're a little behind scheule, but not bad. Lots of sounds to make! Not your standard Alice, either--it's pretty warped. We're having a good time.

Ripped my ART SGX 2K out of the rack for servicing, and also tried to figure out why my Delta 1010 is suddenly making ground-loop type noises. No luck so far. Once I get that accomplished it's time to fix the vocoder.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:01 pm

spent the day moving the band from our drummer's garage to a real practice space (2 rooms / 900 sq. ft = w00t) ... most of that time spent cleaning 3-6 years of dirt & neglect out of the rooms.

finally got back tonight to take my cabinets over and cranked them up for an hour or so.... can't wait until Saturday practice.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:31 pm

spent the day at the American Museum of Natural History researching photonic interaction with mineral surfaces..

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:31 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:spent the day at the American Museum of Natural History researching photonic interaction with mineral surfaces..
what?
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:59 pm

photonic as in light..

http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/p ... /color.htm

my favorite used to be smokey quartz but is now

KNa2Li(Fe, Mn)2Ti2Si8O24 or Neptunite