Alesis 3630 compressor

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
radmike
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Alesis 3630 compressor

Post by radmike » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:06 pm

I sold mine for 60 on ebay - Kinda wish i still had it- nice to have gates- the 3630 gates are kinda iffy most the time, that also had alot to do with bad vocal technique or whatever. The RNC is very nice and Eureka - but both lack gates.

radmike

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:01 pm

cgarges wrote:I have one stock. I love it. I'm in the minority. They have virtually no resale value at all.
I've owned several.
I don't think they suck either. Still use it once in a while (not in my main racks anymore, but I will not sell it either...)
Sometimes I think it sounds 'plastic' - other times a simple, functional compressor. That it's not in the main racks does mean something but again, I still own one.

I really wish I still had two, so I could do that cool mod and directly A/B. Guess when I'm ready to try the mod it'll be eBay time. :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:50 am

If you need a cheap "starter" compressor you could always try a used Symetrix 425. These are going for dirt cheap now on the used market, and are a really useful piece of kit. Main thing going for it is the downward expansion, but the compresser and limiter are fairly transparent as well. Symetrix makes some good stuff.

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:13 am

ALL HATERS!!... REALIZE!!
this thing rocks with puffs mod PERIOD!!!....it takes the RNC to Mule SKOOL and dont get me started on the DBX.
i'm sending mine back to get the feedforward/feedback compression select button!!!!!!!

BUY ONE ON EBAY AND SEND IT TO PUFF...........PLAYA!

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:51 pm

theres some interesting things that happen when you crank the volume/output past +15dB. it adds a noticable distortion that can be really good. especially between the guitar and amp.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:30 pm

for anyone who has done the mod, how long did it take? was it tough? problems? I know my way around soldering and components but want to see how involved this is before i committ. my 3630 sounds pretty crappy. the mod seems like the way to go.

thanks

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:17 pm

I have one that is still stock. I use the gate sometimes and the 'compressor' is a cool effect to "punch up" the drum kit in mono on a bus. <-- I got that trick from a big time pro and it made my ghetto setup sound pretty rockin'

Anyway, there is always some good use for a piece of gear, but you have to ask yourself "do I need utility, or a piece of crap that does one cool thing?"

The votes here will split on that one.

-TimT

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Post by superluminalmagus » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:14 am

djslayerissick wrote:theres some interesting things that happen when you crank the volume/output past +15dB. it adds a noticable distortion that can be really good. especially between the guitar and amp.
I would agree with this. I've heard other people say its not bad to use as part of an effects chain for live guitar.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.