B&O Ribbon Mic..anybody?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Jess Ashes
pluggin' in mics

B&O Ribbon Mic..anybody?

Post by Jess Ashes » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:26 pm

Hey, i'm curious about these mics...i think i want one so i can get the RCA dx(?) mod. Just specs, polar pattern (fig. 8?) that kind of stuff.

Thanks,
Jess

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Re: B&O Ribbon Mic..anybody?

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:08 pm

great mics from what I hear. The Royer mics are based on some of the B&O designs. I wish i had more to add....
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:41 pm

pattern: figure 8
documentation: here

great sounding mics. need a pre with serious gain. i have the stereo, both channels with the DX mod. dark sound, but very nice. this thing X/Y stereo in front of drums rules.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Post by buddy holly » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:47 pm

hey,
i have the sank modded BM-6 which is the mono version of what alex has, i would assume. i agree with his description, very dark and smooth on the top end. definitely needs lots of gain. it loves my altec 1567a. the pre's on my AMEK BCII struggle with it. when i got it i realized how hyped my LDCs were in the high ends. Stephen Sank is a great guy and is very helpful and informative.
--bh

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:52 pm

***We have a pair of the mono ribbons, and they make great overheads or semi-room mics, six feet in front of the kit on either side. They have a roll-off switch that is also an on/off switch. Difficult to find people to work on them I've found, and as previously said they require a great deal of gain. I seem to recall that some tube preamps, RCA's and Ampex 350/351 preamps, have a high-gain setting specifically for ribbon mics.

I hope this helps- Cheers!

-MR

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:43 pm

"it loves my altec 1567a"

Ain't that the truth?
I love that pre on ribbons...

I've got a B&O with the Sank mod, and one without...
Both are great mics...

Glorious on stand-up bass...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler