What's the big deal with Phish?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

What's the big deal with Phish?

Post by greenmeansjoe » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:16 pm

I had to cover their last ever show at the Hampton Coliseum tonight for my employers.

It was my first time seeing Phish, and I still don't really get why people are so crazy about 'em. The music was ok, I guess. Nothing super special. Every song turned into a 20-minute jam, and every jam pretty much followed the same script.

The light show was cool.

I don't know. Can somebody clue me in to what's so great about these guys? The best answer I could get out of anyone was "it's just something that's hard to put your finger on."

Huh? Whatever. I didn't even stick around to hear all of the second set. I'd already had to meet deadline with my story, and I was tired after a 13-hour day.

Maybe I should've stuck around and taken a hit off somebody's joint?

Joe

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: What's the big deal with Phish?

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:21 pm

I think it has to do with the show being a "rave" type experience rather than the music only..but i wouldnt really know..

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:26 pm

I've always kind of wondered the same thing. I am not very familiar with their music, have never seen them live, and really only seen a performance or two on tv so Im not the best to be a critic. I do have a copy of "The Dude of Life and Phish". Bought that out of a $2 bin at a used record store and really enjoy that. There is just something about them I guess that is there.? Great musician(ship)s?

enough babble

o yeah, I saw an interview this past weekend on Charlie Rose (think it was a re-run) with Trey Anastasio and it was very interesting. Worth a watch if anyone sees it on.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:33 pm

thekingandcaroline wrote:Can somebody clue me in to what's so great about these guys?
Not me. I know I'll probably catch some shit for it, but I had the same problem with The Grateful Dead.

I find their musical taste second-rate and their performances boring, but I know they've got tons of fans (just like the Grateful Dead). Go figure.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:33 pm

I think it has something to do with massive drug intake. That being said I do have Billy Breathes and there are some really good songs on that album (it's the only one I've heard though).

loosegravel
gettin' sounds

Post by loosegravel » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:37 pm

i think it sorta snowballed and none of the hippies ever decided to take a stand. They do not make music that I would want to listen to.

A friend of my brothers is into the bootleg trade for them and I nearly threw up at the lengths he went to getting a few of the CDRs of that band playing bland rock jams.

but im more hostile today then most, so i donno.
"Oh MANNN, MY MOTU"

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:46 pm

Before I get reprimanded for posting this in the wrong forum, I'm moving it to Off-Topic.

Sorry. I got confused.

Joe

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:53 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:
thekingandcaroline wrote:Can somebody clue me in to what's so great about these guys?
Not me. I know I'll probably catch some shit for it, but I had the same problem with The Grateful Dead.

I find their musical taste second-rate and their performances boring, but I know they've got tons of fans (just like the Grateful Dead). Go figure.
I completely agree with you, Grateful Dead were boring and old, even when the were young.
Werd.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:15 pm

Isn't there an old joke that goes...

Q: What happens when Dead-Heads stop smoking pot?

A: They realize the band sucks.

I think it's similair to the Jimmy Buffett effect... ie, you must inhale about 12 magaritas before going to one of his concerts, otherwise you'll realize he sucks and everybody there is a drunk idiot.

rucchi166
pluggin' in mics

Post by rucchi166 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:21 am

just be thankful you aren't anywhere near the coventry concert...i have the unlucky disposition of being located approximately 3/4 of a mile from the actual venue...its terrible...there's going to be an estimated 115,000 people in a place that normally suits 5,000...i am getting out of town...

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:31 am

i have to admit admiring their musicianship and creativity on some levels, but absolutly hating the jam aspect of it because i've heard so many fucking jam bands trying to be like them with out haveing the ability to write structured music beforehand. the whole, gotta crawl before you run thing.

plus they attract hippies

NOBODY LIKES HIPPIES
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

craigloom
gettin' sounds

Post by craigloom » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:12 am

I dunno. I'm the farthest from a "jam band" type. Actually, even the phrase makes me wince. But there's something about some of the earlier Grateful Dead recordings that I've been enjoying lately. I don't think it's fair to lump them in with Phish, whome I think are as bland as a tofu sandwich. The Dead had soul -- at least when they were fresh. I think it really shows on "Working Mans" and some of their earlier live recordings like "Live Dead" or "Europe 72." I even got a copy of Garcias first solo album from my father in-law. There's some nice americana stuff on there. I guess by being a "psychedelic music" and "roots music" nut, it's kinda hard to dismiss it. Of course I hate all the people are associated with them and try to make it a predictable lifestyle. But there's folk in Indie rock who are jsut as predictable. :wink:
Seriously, it's hard to admit all this because I grew up on punk rock. What the hell...
But al and all, Phish sucks.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:16 am

Phish do nothing for me. Neither do the Dead. I just don't get it I guess.

Corin
gettin' sounds

Post by Corin » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:16 am

I've always just assumed that it was beyond me. I admire a band that can instigate such devotion in a fanbase, and after all this time there must be fans who aren't college boy hackysackers, but I just don't get that music. I m not saying every rock band should have Caruso up front, but I have a problem with crappy singers. I kind of wish I could hear something that I liked in their music, but I just don't get it at all.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:28 am

i'm with craigloom- i used to hate the dead - i come from punk rock as well...i think they're pretty ok now...the legions of smelly prep school idiots i don't really dig...but garcia had some soul...their shows were great for free weed...

garcia in particular really had some shit going on...the albums with the dawg are fantastic.

however, phish is for people who went to music school. like ugh.

'indie' rock is just horrible lately...i'd rather listen to almost anything else. most of it is way too contrived to stick.

MIke