your last post

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

your last post

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:54 am

I've been pm-ing a few posters here on this messageboard about this.

I feel much credibility comes from using your actual name. Having your work out there for all to judge, I think says alot about your own personal security- whatever the level of work you have done. It is yours and it demonstrates your ability and competence. Hiding behind an internet screen name is as a ridiculous as it sounds.

Advice can come from anyone, it is likely though that poignant advice comes from people with experience in a given area.

We have the ability as a collective here to shed light on various topics from many different angles. Larry Crane has given us the ability to serve one another. I don't see this board as an open forum to attack anyone- especially anonymously. I have expressed frustration in the past in a few posts, but I have also attempted to help many.

The possibility and potential for everyone on this board to be their best and grow as a sound recordist is out there. No matter what level you currently work at, you are probably dealing with new issues from day-to-day that even with your great level of experience, you are flummoxed by.

Let's try and help in the future guys. Let's focus on the questions at hand in the threads and control that keyboard outrage a little bit. Sign your full name to your post and I bet you'll type a more meaningful post...

...or am I on crack again?

theistheman
pushin' record

Re: your last post

Post by theistheman » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:56 am

boo!

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:08 pm

Hey, I'd love to use my real name, but then the Armenian mob could find me.

I'm mostly kidding.
Steve Albini used to like it

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:11 pm

my real name is Ben Felker... and it should be meaningless to all of you.

I don't mind the idea of taking some accountability for the shit that you write though... be it genuinely useful, overtly patronizing, or a defensive "fuck you".
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:15 pm

My real name is scott craggs. which means precisely zip as i've yet to work on a record anyone's actually heard....

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:24 pm

I, Thomas S. Bogdon, say why don't you, Jeff robinson, start posting like you believe that bullshit you typed, and quit telling people they need a big studio and big budget and big producer to do anything worth a shit.

The reason I don't post with my real name is simply because I'm not here to sell myself.
beware bee wear

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:32 pm

Jeff..I find value in a whole lot that you contribute to this board..though I do disagree with some of your attitudes toward certain things..Personally I wouldnt attack you because of that..some people would..thats just the way people are..I know its hard to not let internet beef frustrate you..my personal take on it is just not to care..big deal some guy in front of a computer doesnt agree with me..no use getting upset over it..

I like the annonymity of the internet..it puts everyone equal in a way..i also see your point about using your real identity..its just not for me also because of personal reasons..

I hope this doesnt mean that your not going to post anymore..

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:38 pm

Well, my real name is Scott Helmke, which should be in my accessible profile.

I think it's good to use real names - sure, it might be somewhat liberating to post anonymously, and of course in some cases it's necessary. But it does seem like there's a lot of serious BS and incivility also. Just look at the postings turned up on that "Unfit to Command" author, who now has to try to explain that stuff away which he probably didn't even worry about when he wrote it. The internet is here to stay, and woe to those who don't consider it "real".

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:44 pm

Only the government gets to refer to me as my slave name.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:52 pm

Wow. I stumbled on this post, and I realize that I spend too much time on the internet. Is any of the information presented here either so valuable or so damaging that people should sign it everytime? I'm not seeing it. I mean, when people start posting war plans on the tape op messageboard, I think someone might bring up the idea of "signing" posts. Until then, I bid you adieu.

Thanks!

Ferris Beuler

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:14 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:I've been pm-ing a few posters here on this messageboard about this.

I feel much credibility comes from using your actual name. Having your work out there for all to judge, I think says alot about your own personal security- whatever the level of work you have done. It is yours and it demonstrates your ability and competence. Hiding behind an internet screen name is as a ridiculous as it sounds.

Advice can come from anyone, it is likely though that poignant advice comes from people with experience in a given area.

We have the ability as a collective here to shed light on various topics from many different angles. Larry Crane has given us the ability to serve one another. I don't see this board as an open forum to attack anyone- especially anonymously. I have expressed frustration in the past in a few posts, but I have also attempted to help many.

The possibility and potential for everyone on this board to be their best and grow as a sound recordist is out there. No matter what level you currently work at, you are probably dealing with new issues from day-to-day that even with your great level of experience, you are flummoxed by.

Let's try and help in the future guys. Let's focus on the questions at hand in the threads and control that keyboard outrage a little bit. Sign your full name to your post and I bet you'll type a more meaningful post...

...or am I on crack again?
Well, I'm ROBERT DAVID FUCKING JONES. Hence bobbdydfj. I'm first and foremost a writer, really. As those who've read the TO book know, it tends to stress the work of those people who are writers first, and recordists second. The biggies being E. Smith, GBV, Grandaddy, etc.

My work can be heard on the unofficial TO comp that spiral organised (who is very soon going to receive a nice big present from ROBERT DAVID FUCKING JONES, containing all manner of "candy").

I don't necessarily want to grow as a sound recordist. I want, primarily, to write better stuff. I'm not bothered if professional engineers recoil in horror at the abject paucity of the fidelity in my recorded shit. In fact, I may actually seek to provoke precisely this reaction. See, I'm a massive fan of GbV - especially Vampire on Titus. This LP says to me, it says, TAKE YOUR $35 AND STICK THEM UP YOUR ARSE!!! :lol:

It kind of does though. I mean, it seems to openly attempt to invert the production values of mainstream rock - or at least to fuck with them. It's basically highly irreverant, yet somehow also obviously made by lovers of all kinds of music. And all this whilst still prioritising killer hooks. For these and various other reasons, I love 'em.

GbV advert ends here. Just to say that people bring a whole diverse range of aims to this board, and being the 'best' that they can be will probably involve taking quite different perspectives on things. Occasionally this'll lead to sharp words and fall outs - because that's sometimes what happens when assumptions are made. I suppose.

I, also, am not interested in advertising my ability and competence. Not even in relation to my songs - first and foremost I try to do something that I will enjoy listening to. The criteria of others are irrelevant. True, there are people here whose opinions I respect (though this is primarily related to their musical tastes and general dispositions), and they know who they are. I may take their comments on board, if I've solicited them. I may not. But either way, I don't really think I'm ever trying to establish any credentials - either in respect to writing or recording.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:20 pm

In my short, newbie-esque acquaintence with the tape-op board, I've been nothing but totally impressed with the level of civility that lives here, compared to other similar newsgroups. Try hanging out at rec.audio.pro. 50% of the posts are people smacking skulls, mostly over things that aren't even related to audio. This is an excellent, mutually-respectful board, in my opinion, and the occasional silly outburst is the exception that proves the rule. It's true that someone who knows virtually nothing about recording could anonymously deliver horse-ass advice, but the posters who really know a thing or two are always there to chime in and set records straight...

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:42 pm

Not to be a killjoy, but I don't think having your real name vs. a screenname / handle is going to make a difference on whether someone gets flamed or not.

Jeff, 98% of your posts are helpful and wonderful to read. As for the other 2% (most recently, http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... highlight= ), snide comments will get remembered by other posters, and it will (and it has) boomeranged back to you, even if said flaming appears on a different thread. You've been flamed, I've been flamed, we've all been flamed and had lapses in good judgment in posting.

Before complaining about someone flaming you, seriously ask yourself if you've said anything in the recent past that would constitute a lapse in judgment and reasoning (Jeff, I was about to say you typed that pretty late at night, but the timestamp said 1:12pm. I hope you were writing that while being sleep deprived from a late night session :wink: ).

Otherwise, pull a Reagan and spray that teflon on yourself, and move on.

As for my identity and reputation, anyone can UTFSF on my screen name, and decide for yourself whether they want to give me the time of day or not. Anyone who seriously wants to get a hold of me can PM me. Right? :P

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:05 pm

Yeah, I think there's a lot to be said for using your name instead of a handle. Helps to keep you posting "as yourself", instead of some testy alter-ego that you use solely to vent your general frustrations with the world.

That said, there are certainly some people here who desire anonymity but don't abuse it.

In disclosure, "leigh" is short for Leigh Marble. Performing songwriter, recordist, software programmer, longtime writer for Tape Op, etc.

Leigh

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:17 pm

leigh wrote:Yeah, I think there's a lot to be said for using your name instead of a handle. Helps to keep you posting "as yourself", instead of some testy alter-ego that you use solely to vent your general frustrations with the world.

That said, there are certainly some people here who desire anonymity but don't abuse it.

In disclosure, "leigh" is short for Leigh Marble. Performing songwriter, recordist, software programmer, longtime writer for Tape Op, etc.

Leigh
??? wtflolomgbbq ??

Wait, am I not posting as myself? fuck! what is the alter ego that has taken over my soul??? i'm damned.

I'm spider man, thank you. you can call me trodden.