Fionna Apple

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
umbrellajones
audio school graduate

Fionna Apple

Post by umbrellajones » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:16 am

Does anyone have any info or links to resources on the recording process of either of fiona apple's albums. The sonics are great in my opinion, especially the drums and vox and I'd like to borrow some of those techniques.

Thanks

Shaun Jones

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: Fiona Apple

Post by Rodgre » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:23 am

Search for Jon Brion. He's the producer that has worked with her. He is known for that style of production.... big warm sounds, and quirky ear candy. He's done a lot of Aimee Mann's stuff as well.

There was an EQ cover story a few years back with Fiona, Jon and the engineer that worked on "When the pawn...", Rich Costey (who has done some killer records himself)

I'm a big fan of Brion's work too, including those Fiona Apple records.

Roger

mfedderman
pushin' record

Re: Fionna Apple

Post by mfedderman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:30 am

I agree, her records are great sounding records. Actually, Andrew Slater was credited as the producer of Fiona's first record, "Tidal", not Jon Brion, though Brion did play a number of instruments on the record. I like "When the pawn.." BUT, there is something about that first record that amazes me. From the songwriting, to the instrumentation, to the "vibe" and production value.

Even if you don't like that style of music, "Tidal" is a must have album, IMHO. As an engineer and producer, I've learned a lot about "creative" miking and leaving "space" in my mixes. Also, not to have TOO many instruments going at once.

Just my 2 cents.

-Matt
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:39 am

There was a really great interview/cover story with Matt Chamberlain in Modern Drummer magazine right after "Tidal" came out that talked about a few interesting things. Any drum enthusiast should read that interview anyway.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:40 am

Her new album sounded like it would be pretty good too, judging from some of the leaked mixes on the web, but it's been shelved and will likely never come out now.

I was searching for a Jon Brion article I recently read that talked about some of that stuff, but I couldn't find it.

I did find this link though that is a collection of links to articles about him- I don't even know how many of the links are active though.

http://idiot-dog.com/embrionic/text/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:46 am

I know a good part of the great sound is the great players, especially Danny Frankel on drums / percussion. Danny makes everything sound great.
beware bee wear

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:30 pm

Ye Gods! Don't forget Matt Chamberlain's playing on all her records!

Here's a few links:

http://www.digitalprosound.com/Htm/Peop ... nBrion.htm

Look, pictures of gear!!!
http://idiot-dog.com/embrionic/images/

-D

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:53 pm

Andy Slater doesn't produce the records he's credited as producing. He's an artist manager.

terencepalmer
audio school graduate

Post by terencepalmer » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:27 pm

Catoogie wrote:Andy Slater doesn't produce the records he's credited as producing. He's an artist manager.
not true. he may work as an artist manager, but he's as much a producer as anyone is.

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:15 pm

Amen terencepalmer! Listen to her first and second records back to back, and you'll here Andrew's influence! He may be management and a "suit" BUT, the guy knows production!

Don't damn him because he doesn't ONLY produce.

-Matt

PS, Matt Chamberlin is ALL over that record to! His grooves "gel-ed" the HELL out of TIDAL!
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:33 pm

Here's an interesting read:

http://www.neverisapromise.com/niap/int ... EQ1299.htm

A little gear talk in there. Those Church mics are amazing. When I win the lottery, I may be able to afford one.

shawn

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:28 am

I love that J. Brion's place is such a crazy mess of gear and toys..

that rules..

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:04 am

Andy Slater DEFINITELY produced the first album, in deed as well as name. One of the hallmarks of production is hiring good people. Jon Brion, Matt Chamberlin - not to forget the keyboards of Patrick Warren (formerly with Michael Penn) - beautifully musical Pianos and tape replay keyboards. These people, and others, brought their sounds and talents to bear.

Jon Brion produced the 2nd album. I like the sounds better on the 2nd one, but think the first one made the songs stand out better, not the tracks, which win out on the 2nd CD. The new album has changed hands from Jon to someone else - maybe two others.

As much as I love her voice, playing, and records I think a certain video made the 1st record popular. That's why there has only been ONE hit for her, even though other songs (Sleep to Dream) were better...
Relax and float downstream...

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:27 am

what are the mic pres that brion uses. i saw the pics and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what are all the mic pres that he i using.

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:30 am

is there ever going to be another record frm her? If not why not?